Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What are your biggest reasons?

• 9115 posts
    March 4, 2019 4:02 AM PST

What are some of the biggest reasons you play online games over any others? #MMORPG #communitymatters

• 153 posts
    March 4, 2019 4:10 AM PST

I'm a loser

I have less than 5 friends

• 71 posts
    March 4, 2019 4:47 AM PST

The two m's in mmorpg.

--- My opinions are not humble, they are just my opinions. ---

• 1247 posts
    March 4, 2019 4:57 AM PST

I will not play anything other than a mmorpg. For me it’s all about the immersion and community. #communitymatters #makenightmatteragain 

This post was edited by Syrif at March 4, 2019 4:58 AM PST
    • 413 posts
    March 4, 2019 5:37 AM PST

At first, I wanted to play pencil and paper D&D, but it was so hard to get a sustainable group together.  EQ provided the solution to the issue.  Playing games with fellow humans is much more fun than a static linear single player game.  

This post was edited by Zevlin at March 4, 2019 5:38 AM PST
    • 1033 posts
    March 4, 2019 5:43 AM PST

Having been a person interested in gaming since I had my first Pong unit and eventually a Tandy 1000TL (ie a TRS 80 with a fancy sound card), I have loved all game genres for the most part. Though what I enoyed most was a journey over time. I once worked at a software store and the saying there among the game enthusiasts was that there was a natural progression of gamers to end up in RPGs. Regardless of your introduction into gaming (arcade, adventure, strategy, etc...), most would end up seeking that which a cRPG system provided due to its nature of play. 

I still enjoy and respect many different genres providing their goal is that of a game, and not simply entertainment, but I always go back to cRPGs. So... what lead me to play MMORPGs in the past was primarily the RPG part. That is, early MMOs were unending versions of the single player cRPGs. They provided endless adventure and character development (providing you didn't overpower content release speed) to which cRPGs in general could not meet. With a single player cRPG, there was always an end of the road, the eventual closing of the game, while the MMORPG provided a indefinite continuation in play.

Now even when I was playing MMORPGs extensively, I still made time to go back and play some of my single player cRPG games due to some limitations of MMORPGs and ofcourse over the years as MMORPGs became less RPG and more Action/Arcade entertainment with shallow design, I eventually stopped playing them altogther to which I now play single player games exclusively. Even then, for the same reason I don't play MMOs anymore, I also play very few modern games due to modern design philosphy driving their development. 

• 413 posts
    March 4, 2019 5:47 AM PST

Tanix said:

Having been a person interested in gaming since I had my first Pong unit and eventually a Tandy 1000TL (ie a TRS 80 with a fancy sound card)

Wow you are older like me. (I will make this text bigger for you)  I had pong, where I had a plastic color overlay for the screen so I had color.  Comador 64 and then the Amiga 500 for me.

• 1033 posts
    March 4, 2019 5:51 AM PST

Caine said:

Tanix said:

Having been a person interested in gaming since I had my first Pong unit and eventually a Tandy 1000TL (ie a TRS 80 with a fancy sound card)

Wow you are older like me. (I will make this text bigger for you)  I had pong, where I had a plastic color overlay for the screen so I had color.  Comador 64 and then the Amiga 500 for me.

Old school color. *chuckle* 

• 3237 posts
    March 4, 2019 6:14 AM PST

I always preferred multiplayer games.  I remember playing Contra when I was really young and I always thought it was pretty amazing to play cooperatively with another player.  I eventually got into RPG's and Secret of Mana was the first one that offered a cooperative element to play around with.  I have spent plenty of time playing single player games but I was always drawn to anything multiplayer.  Online gaming really took things to the next level ... instead of being limited to your local network of gamer friends, you could play with people at any time of day with folks from all over the world, and without having to leave the house!  In other words, being able to play "online" made the social aspect of gaming far more accessible, but it also expanded on the quality and quantity of players to interact with.  This was especially true in any game that had a competitive element.  You can only improve your game so much when the pool of players is limited to your local neighborhood.  Online gaming allows players to match up with others based on shared interests and skill without the limitation of locality.

This post was edited by oneADseven at March 4, 2019 6:14 AM PST
    • 624 posts
    March 4, 2019 6:24 AM PST

Bards need an audience.

• 42 posts
    March 4, 2019 6:32 AM PST

Already very young I liked fantasy and sci-fi litterature . Tolkien and Asimov . Always liked new worlds , adventure, consistent lore and discoveries .

This lead then to pen paper D&D and single player RPG (Wizardry was the first) .

The logical next step was UOL in 1998  . MMORPGs appeal the most because of the vastness of the world and of the dynamical content what a pen and paper D&D could offer but a single player computer RPG could not . Obviously pen and paper D&D are very difficult to organise and play sustainably . Hence MMORPG is an easier solution .

• 178 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:04 AM PST

The biggest reason is because MMORPGs are D&D campaigns for married people whos' friends live on the other side of the country.

(i almost can't play single player games...  I get hyped, I buy them, finish chapter I, start chapter II, and then go back to my overplayed MMO again)

• 6 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:12 AM PST

it's much more fun to achieve and fail together, than alone. 

• 1785 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:12 AM PST

You just very rarely get vast, super-immersive worlds in single player games.

And that experience is far better when shared with others.

• 228 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:19 AM PST

Actually, my first online game was Falcon 4.0 back in 1998, an impressive F-16 simulator allowing a handful of human pilots to fight computer-generated enemies together. I joined a virtual fighter wing and we had a blast. However, each mission took less than an hour and much more to prepare, so most of the time we spent socializing in IRC (Internet Relay Chat).

Socializing was also my main motivation for playing EQ2 and VG a few years later.

I never play online games to have human opponents.

• 259 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:20 AM PST

Online games give you the feeling of being in a living, breathing real fantasy world.

• 200 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:31 AM PST
    It's like any other hobby for me. Similar to most sports you get to play with others. You get a physical/mental challenge, teamwork, strategy and rewards.

With an mmo, you get all those (except the physical challenge) but add in a complex puzzle, a unique living world, exciting story and a different type of reality (spells, monsters, etc).

MMO's for the most part do this better than other types of games imo.
    • 1033 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:33 AM PST

Nephele said:

You just very rarely get vast, super-immersive worlds in single player games.

And that experience is far better when shared with others.

True, but this is slowly changing due to technology. 

We are getting to the point where the average person can purchase a vast open world game with extensive features and then setup a server where other people can connect and play together in a persistent world just like an MMO. 

Fact is, we have had this capability for quite some time, it is just that the content developers have not sought it as a market to any real effort. Once they do, MMOs will go the way of the dodo and people will just buy the server copy and run the game for others to connect  to a customized configuration of play. 

• 1921 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:35 AM PST

Flat playing field (no cheating)
    Time investment is rewarded.
    Persistence is guaranteed.
    Socialization is required.
    Deep, challenging mechanics.

• 81 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:40 AM PST

Caine said:

Tanix said:

Spectrum ZX81 - And to answer the OP question, immersion and people. (I'll also make this bigger so you can read it guys, we will all be your age one day:p )

• 172 posts
    March 4, 2019 7:44 AM PST

Riqq said:

I'm a loser

You're a 10 in my book.

• 2419 posts
    March 4, 2019 8:05 AM PST

Kilsin said:

What are some of the biggest reasons you play online games over any others? #MMORPG #communitymatters

1.  It is a very cost effective form of entertainment.
    2.  It is mentally stimulating as you are an active participant rather than an passive absorber as you when watching TV.
    3.  You can make friends from all parts of the world.
    4.  Phat loot and wood elf hunnys.

• 646 posts
    March 4, 2019 8:14 AM PST

For a few reasons...

- I can play with other people when I feel like it while also enjoying an RPG-like setting.

- I love the open and persistent world of MMOs.

- All of my friends are scattered around the country. Save for my husband, none live where I live. MMORPGs are how we can hang out and do things together.

MyNegation said:The biggest reason is because MMORPGs are D&D campaigns for married people whos' friends live on the other side of the country.

(i almost can't play single player games...  I get hyped, I buy them, finish chapter I, start chapter II, and then go back to my overplayed MMO again)

Hahaha can relate to this so much.

I only got through DA:I because my husband and I sat next to each other and took turns controlling the character. And the entire time I was thinking, "This would be SO MUCH FUN with at least a co-op campaign."

This post was edited by Naunet at March 4, 2019 8:16 AM PST
    • 1479 posts
    March 4, 2019 8:22 AM PST

I just love cooperative gameplay.

• 153 posts
    March 4, 2019 8:23 AM PST

Aayden said:

Riqq said:

I'm a loser

You're a 10 in my book.

out of 10,000,000