Forums » News and Announcements

February's Newsletter is Here!

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    February 20, 2019 10:04 AM PST

As the polar vortex batters North America, we fight back by turning up the heat in February. Under Wraps continues its hot streak of peeling back the layers of Pantheon, Chris Perkins returns with a scorching new Behind the Design. Wielder of the blazing fiery swords himself, Brad McQuaid, sits down for an all new Q&A. And we finish with a warm-hearted Community Spotlight, showcasing community member Dorotea.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_february_intro/

This post was edited by Roenick at February 20, 2019 10:07 AM PST
    • 6 posts
    February 20, 2019 10:09 AM PST

thank you

are we going to get another pre alpha ? and when ?

• 429 posts
    February 20, 2019 10:31 AM PST

The art work looks amazing , I want a pergolo for myself :) 

A Great News letter  I really enjoyed the Q&A with Brad .

• 3852 posts
    February 20, 2019 10:36 AM PST

Very interesting discussion with Brad - not to imply that other parts of the newsletter weren't interesting as well. He touched ou quite a few topics that we often discusss on the forums and gave a bit more insight as to what we can expect.

I too would love to know whether it is planned to have another pre-alpha after 5. Getting a date for alpha isn't going to happen.

Quite possibly they simply haven't decided yet - if they had decided they might have said so. Discussing all the "cool" features they are working on for PA6 wouldn't exactly be the same as releasing an estimate of timing. Neither would saying that PA5 will be followed by alpha.

But my guesses as to where the game stands haven't been nearly as accurate as i would like and this guess may join the others in oblivion.

• 3852 posts
    February 20, 2019 10:36 AM PST

Accidental double post.

This post was edited by dorotea at February 20, 2019 10:37 AM PST
    • 1479 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:01 AM PST

Great news and great to read some of brad again ! He got quite obfuscated over the last year.

Edit : Congratulation to Dorothea, a well deserved spotlight !

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at February 20, 2019 1:00 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:09 AM PST

Enjoyed the interview with Brad.

I also like knowing that the team is keeping up with Unity engine updates. Engine updates were always few and far between in the old days. Glad that new tech will keep making it's way into the game.

• 523 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:21 AM PST

Average newsletter at best, probably the Brad interview kept it from being a total let down, but still a little disappointing.  Continues the cycle of zero signficant news or visual production in seven months.  Still radio silence on the half finished Druid and Summoner classes.  No news on the Perception overhaul hinted at previously.  No clear outline on what has to happen before Alpha, Brad mentioned core systems, but we don't know what that means because some of those systems are being kept secret for now.  No information on what % of Kingsreach is actually finished or even started.  No news on what Project Faerthale means for the existing zones, will the Tower of the Reckless Magician, Wild's End, and other zones previously shown need total re-works?  Is Kingsreach even 25% done?

Some disappointing news that contradicts previous statements by the team about being financially secure until launch, now it seems they need a partner and further significant investment to get to launch.  Which, honestly, we knew that all along, these games aren't cheap.  But I was kind of hoping they already had that sorted behind the scenes.

The new concept art dated from last year was solid.  We've seen a lot about the bridges, walls, gates, and stonework of the Elf starting area over the last half year.  It's A LOT better than nothing, but is kind of old hat at this point.  The newer Warden stuff was meh.

The Atmosphere presentation by Joppa was too short and limited, but at least had some new tidbits.  Relics to hunt down for specific "buffs" are always good.  A nice form of horizontal advancement.

Brad interview was excellent.  Wondered what he was up to and if he still helps with programming to try and speed things up.  Sounds like he does not.  I thought it was an honest interview, touched on some recent hot topic issues with the game, and cleared the air on some things.  Definitely the standout from this newsletter.

Sticking a new screenshot into the Community Spotlight is smart, I actually click on that link now.  

I don't really care about Alpha dates and that nonsense, but I do care about visual and tangible progress with the game's development that I can measure with my own eyes.  Its been seven months since I've seen any of that.  Those last streams in Nov/Dec with the half finished Druid class and broken Halnir's Cave encounters were worrisome.  The news from Bazgrim that the team no longer plans to finish Kingsreach prior to Alpha testing is worrisome.  I "hear/read" the team has gotten things done in the last seven months, but there has been little evidence shown to the public to support it.  The last tangible progress I've seen was when the Dire Lord and Paladin were released in a mostly functional state.  I hope they release a hailstorm of visual productivity in the next month or two like they did last year around this time.  I'd like something to be excited about again.

• 3016 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:21 AM PST

(site seems to be bogged down..just for a fyi..keep timing out)   Just wanted to say its nice to hear from Brad McQuaid and his thoughts on the progress of Pantheon.  

Keep up the good works VR!  :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:30 AM PST

Mathir said:

Average newsletter at best, probably the Brad interview kept it from being a total let down, but still a little disappointing.  Continues the cycle of zero signficant news or visual production in seven months.  Still radio silence on the half finished Druid and Summoner classes.  No news on the Perception overhaul hinted at previously.  No clear outline on what has to happen before Alpha, Brad mentioned core systems, but we don't know what that means because some of those systems are being kept secret for now.  No information on what % of Kingsreach is actually finished or even started.  No news on what Project Faerthale means for the existing zones, will the Tower of the Reckless Magician, Wild's End, and other zones previously shown need total re-works?  Is Kingsreach even 25% done?

Some disappointing news that contradicts previous statements by the team about being financially secure until launch, now it seems they need a partner and further significant investment to get to launch.  Which, honestly, we knew that all along, these games aren't cheap.  But I was kind of hoping they already had that sorted behind the scenes.

The new concept art dated from last year was solid.  We've seen a lot about the bridges, walls, gates, and stonework of the Elf starting area over the last half year.  It's A LOT better than nothing, but is kind of old hat at this point.  The newer Warden stuff was meh.

The Atmosphere presentation by Joppa was too short and limited, but at least had some new tidbits.  Relics to hunt down for specific "buffs" are always good.  A nice form of horizontal advancement.

Brad interview was excellent.  Wondered what he was up to and if he still helps with programming to try and speed things up.  Sounds like he does not.  I thought it was an honest interview, touched on some recent hot topic issues with the game, and cleared the air on some things.  Definitely the standout from this newsletter.

Sticking a new screenshot into the Community Spotlight is smart, I actually click on that link now.  

I don't really care about Alpha dates and that nonsense, but I do care about visual and tangible progress with the game's development that I can measure with my own eyes.  Its been seven months since I've seen any of that.  Those last streams in Nov/Dec with the half finished Druid class and broken Halnir's Cave encounters were worrisome.  The news from Bazgrim that the team no longer plans to finish Kingsreach prior to Alpha testing is worrisome.  I "hear/read" the team has gotten things done in the last seven months, but there has been little evidence shown to the public to support it.  The last tangible progress I've seen was when the Dire Lord and Paladin were released in a mostly functional state.  I hope they release a hailstorm of visual productivity in the next month or two like they did last year around this time.  I'd like something to be excited about again.

This is still a work in progress...things don't magically happen at the snap of a finger or two.   The world is built layer by layer the way I understand it.   If you can do better ..contact the team and show them your credentials.   

Still in pre-alpha..means its not finished yet..improvements happen along the way...currently a LARGE area is being built up/created.   I am sure when its ready we'll hear about it. 

Stages are Pre alpha (several iterations of that)  Alpha (possible several iterations of that)   Beta...which is generally where the developped game is opened up for marketting and showing.   Some of us have been here from the get-go...and can see the changes and progressions.   Its a bit early to be critiquing graphics...what's more important is the game engine and the constructions, the game world.   Graphics can be updated all along the way..with patches etc.     What we need here is some patience and understanding about how it works. 

The things that go on in the background (building, coding etc) would probably cause an average gamer's eyes to glaze over AND this all takes time.   Rome wasn't built in a day..and neither will that be the case with Pantheon.    Patience...

Cana

• 8 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:42 AM PST
    Absolutely loved the interview with Brad was such a great read.
    • 1247 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:52 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Just wanted to say its nice to hear from Brad McQuaid and his thoughts on the progress of Pantheon.  

Cana

Nice to hear from Brad M indeed, also regarding pve and alternate rulesets. 

Great stuff VR! Love it, love it, love it. 

This post was edited by Syrif at February 20, 2019 11:54 AM PST
    • 127 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:11 PM PST

As the game grows in popularity, we want to offer a variety of these Alternate Ruleset Serves and that would include different types of PvP servers. Race wars, the ability to take and hold territory, and many other ideas are all in the Grand Vision — we just need to reach that point.

Coolest part of the Q&A. Racial struggles to conquer parts of Terminus sounds very appealing. My only worry is that if the better special rules servers are introduced late, players will be forced to make a choice between sticking with a community they've become a part of on an existing basic ruleset server, or playing on a server with the ruleset that appeals to them more. Considering each character in this game is going to have quite the journey ahead of them, it will be hard to divide one's time between multiple servers.

Also glad to see confirrmation that the Perception system will be used in the game's quest design.

Liked the info about the atmospheres system and their approach to that as well. Good stuff overall. Have to say hearing some details about their design progress is more interesting to me than seeing fancy updated graphics.

This post was edited by Kaeldorn at February 20, 2019 12:16 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:13 PM PST

bigdogchris said:

Enjoyed the interview with Brad.

I also like knowing that the team is keeping up with Unity engine updates. Engine updates were always few and far between in the old days. Glad that new tech will keep making it's way into the game.

Thanks -- had a lot of fun writing it!

And yes, keeping up with Unity is super important.  We usually stay a couple of versions behind, not moving to them until we're sure everything still works, but we're always moving forward.  What gets me the most excited is how serious Unity has been and continues to be about making their engine better and better.  I know when I look at Pantheon now, as great as it looks to me, that it will continue to improve -- and for two reasons:  1. more people on the team and the team getting better and better at what they do and 2. Newer versions of Unity that allow us to push the graphic fidelity farther and farther.  

-Brad

• 9 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:14 PM PST
    Was good to read. The gas tank is full for another month I think ;)
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:17 PM PST

Kaeldorn said:

As the game grows in popularity, we want to offer a variety of these Alternate Ruleset Serves and that would include different types of PvP servers. Race wars, the ability to take and hold territory, and many other ideas are all in the Grand Vision — we just need to reach that point.

Coolest part of the Q&A. Racial struggles to conquer parts of Terminus sounds very appealing. My only worry is that if the better special rules servers are introduced late, players will be forced to make a choice between sticking with a community they've become a part of on an existing basic ruleset server, or playing on a server with the ruleset that appeals to them more. Considering each character in this game is going to have quite the journey ahead of them, it will be hard to divide one's time between multiple servers.

Also glad to see confirrmation that the Perception system will be used in the game's quest design.

I hear your concern.  Launching with every variation of server is just unlikely -- how many? I can't be sure yet, but the closer we get to launch the clearer it should become.  

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:19 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

(site seems to be bogged down..just for a fyi..keep timing out)   Just wanted to say its nice to hear from Brad McQuaid and his thoughts on the progress of Pantheon.  

Cana

As always Cana, thanks for your posts and support!

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:25 PM PST

dorotea said:

Very interesting discussion with Brad - not to imply that other parts of the newsletter weren't interesting as well. He touched ou quite a few topics that we often discusss on the forums and gave a bit more insight as to what we can expect.

I too would love to know whether it is planned to have another pre-alpha after 5. Getting a date for alpha isn't going to happen.

Quite possibly they simply haven't decided yet - if they had decided they might have said so. Discussing all the "cool" features they are working on for PA6 wouldn't exactly be the same as releasing an estimate of timing. Neither would saying that PA5 will be followed by alpha.

But my guesses as to where the game stands haven't been nearly as accurate as i would like and this guess may join the others in oblivion.

Pre-alpha is definitely not over by any means.  I can't say a lot at this point, but I did mention that PF is both ambitous and essential -- we need to get this list of major and minor systems in, and this is the first zone where we're approaching it with not just more people and resources but better planning and a solid pipeline.  This is super important and needs to be solid before we put more people and time into building other areas of the world -- we have to be efficient, organized, and smart about it :)

Bottom line: we're not done with PA but PF is the focus right now.  I will add though that what we get out of PF will help the company and project in many ways.  For example PA testers will be able to experiment and begin to play with a lot of new systems.  I think it's going to be worth the wait.  The team and the existing PA testers got us here to this place where we are building on such a solid foundation -- well worth it.  A perfect time to focus on Pantheon's identity and to make sure everyone knows this isn't just an older MMO clothed in new graphics; rather, it's new, it breaks ground, it moves the genre forward!

• 127 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:28 PM PST

Aradune said:

I hear your concern.  Launching with every variation of server is just unlikely -- how many? I can't be sure yet, but the closer we get to launch the clearer it should become.  

Very understandable. I guess besides the additional efforts put into the design and development for special rules servers, part of the challenge in deciding how diversified special rules servers can be in the beginning is also tied to an uncertainty regarding how much of an audience there will be for certain variants, and also for the game in general. Having a few basic PvP servers first will provide information about how much of an interest there is for PvP in Pantheon as a whole, which is going to make it easier to see if further diversification is worth the effort.

One variant I'm personally hoping for is a mix of a PvP and role-play ruleset, where we can resolve conflict between characters, groups and guilds with combat if desired.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

This post was edited by Kaeldorn at February 20, 2019 12:29 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:40 PM PST

Mathir said:

I hear you and understand where you are coming from.  Thanks for taking the time to post that and to share your feelings -- I'm sure you're not alone.

I want to do my best to manage expectations early on here while we are engaging PF -- it's ambitous and will include a ton of newness.  The closer we get to it being ready, the more we will be able to reveal.  We've planned this milestone out in great detail and have eagerly begun to work through it.  But we'll be at this point where we need to keep things vague for a bit. 

But here's where I can be open and hopefully help with the expectations, although you may not like the answer:

PF has all sorts of moving parts, involves the entire company, all of the departments.  A lot of the work is done by different people and early on it doesn't make sense to try to keep everything hooked up.  In other words, Pantheon is getting some significant surgery.  What that reallly truly means is at the beginning you're not going to see a lot.  We're making great progress but you'll have to trust us on it.  Again, the closer we get to finishing it the more parts and pieces will come together and the more we can share.  But not this first big effort -- it's going to very much stay internally.  

I know that's a bummer.  I know I'm asking you guys to be patient and to have faith.  I hope as you look back at where we have come from and where we've brough the game thus far that we have earned that trust and faith.

thanks for listening

-Brad

This post was edited by Aradune at February 20, 2019 12:58 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:48 PM PST

Alpha this year a definite long-shot if not impossible.

I would have preferred an excellent build going to alpha this year. 

But I can see why an excellent build next year may have advantages over a mediocre one this year.

Back in the day alpha builds were for testing not marketing and people expected them to be crappy - that was what alpha *meant*. Things change - today a crappy alpha release can scare away gamers and investors a whole lot faster than even 5 years ago.

So no complaints from me - not that they would do any good. I will just plan on LOTRO all year.

Brad - your likely timetable may doom thousands of orcs. Have you no pity?

This post was edited by dorotea at February 20, 2019 12:49 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 20, 2019 12:51 PM PST

barod1989 said:

thank you

Our official message here is this:  No, pre-alpha is not over.  We do have an idea as to how many more sessions, but keeping that internal at the moment.  Project Faerthale is something we need to do to take the game to the next level and after all of the hard work on the game's foundation and all of the great feedback and bugs reported thus far in pre-alpha this is the perfect time to tackle such a endeavor.  Lastly and again, we are not done with pre-alpha, but PF is our focal point right now.  Thanks for all of the patience and faith in us.

• 1247 posts
    February 20, 2019 1:03 PM PST

Aradune said:

A perfect time to focus on Pantheon's identity and to make sure everyone knows this isn't just an older MMO clothed in new graphics; rather, it's new, it breaks ground, it moves the genre forward!

Pretty awesome. Thanks Brad!

• 2886 posts
    February 20, 2019 1:10 PM PST

Aradune said:

barod1989 said:

thank you

Our official message here is this:  No, pre-alpha is not over.  We do have an idea as to how many more sessions, but keeping that internal at the moment.  Project Faerthale is something we need to do to take the game to the next level and after all of the hard work on the game's foundation and all of the great feedback and bugs reported thus far in pre-alpha this is the perfect time to tackle such a endeavor.  Lastly and again, we are not done with pre-alpha, but PF is our focal point right now.  Thanks for all of the patience and faith in us.

Just so we're absolutely clear with terminology here, is it safe to say that Project Faerthale and PA5 are synonymous? The terms seem to be used interchangeably. I'm sure the longterm implications of Project Faerthale extend beyond just PA5. But is PA5 going to be the first introduction to the work that's being done in Faerthale?

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 20, 2019 1:22 PM PST
    • 1785 posts
    February 20, 2019 1:24 PM PST

It was really great to see the interview with Brad - thanks for doing that for this newsletter.  I really appreciated the FAQ portion.  It was also great to learn a bit more about the difference between atmospheres and climates!

Finally, on behalf of dorotea, I'd like to formally request that there be an island or valley full of dinosaurs somewhere in the game.  Perhaps inhabited by a race of xenophobic, highly territorial lizardmen NPCs.

Who are also pirates :)

This post was edited by Nephele at February 20, 2019 1:29 PM PST