Forums » Support

Only 8 days left in Feb. Where’s our Feb newsletter?

• 55 posts
    February 20, 2019 8:28 AM PST
    like The title says... where’s our feb newsletter? I’m dying for an update
    • 1471 posts
    February 20, 2019 8:33 AM PST

It will come :) Nice car btw.

#communitymatters

• 1797 posts
    February 20, 2019 8:33 AM PST

Evade said: like The title says... where’s our feb newsletter? I’m dying for an update

I hope they delay it a week just because you posted that.

• 1148 posts
    February 20, 2019 8:35 AM PST

there is a surprise of chocolates for the love everyone has.

• 257 posts
    February 20, 2019 8:40 AM PST

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9943/newsletter-update/view/page/1

Kilsin posted about this in the linked thread above.

• 12 posts
    February 20, 2019 9:21 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Evade said: like The title says... where’s our feb newsletter? I’m dying for an update

Should come out March 1st out of spite :)

• 749 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:20 AM PST
    • 3219 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:40 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Hehehe love it :)

• 1216 posts
    February 20, 2019 11:58 AM PST

from: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_february_under_wraps/
    "
    ... so we dedicated time to finish them at the beginning of Project Faerthale."
    Eep.  "the beginning"?  That's ominous.

from: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_february_dev_spotlight/
    "... 
    ; that we’ve recently planned and documented to a level where our team can get to work ."
    And more eep.  "recently".

I was originally thinking June for Faerthale to be done.  Now I'm thinking more like October, which means Alpha in 2019 is very unlikely.
    And a very long way from their estimate last spring of "Alpha will begin before the end of 2018".  Now it may not start until 2020.
    I get these things take time, but these are some pretty significant deviations.  I definitely see why they abandoned the 1 continent per phase milestone.

• 36 posts
    February 20, 2019 1:29 PM PST

vjek said:

from: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_february_under_wraps/
    "
    ... so we dedicated time to finish them at the beginning of Project Faerthale."
    Eep.  "the beginning"?  That's ominous.

from: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_february_dev_spotlight/
    "... 
    ; that we’ve recently planned and documented to a level where our team can get to work ."
    And more eep.  "recently".

I was originally thinking June for Faerthale to be done.  Now I'm thinking more like October, which means Alpha in 2019 is very unlikely.
    And a very long way from their estimate last spring of "Alpha will begin before the end of 2018".  Now it may not start until 2020.
    I get these things take time, but these are some pretty significant deviations.  I definitely see why they abandoned the 1 continent per phase milestone.

I was hestitant to agree with you at first, but now I do. I, and I believe others, were under the impression that work on Project Faerthale was already well underway. Well, it is underway, but it is definitely not well underway.

• 1216 posts
    February 20, 2019 1:38 PM PST

Yep.  Considering the public statements from 2018, I was expecting it would be at least halfway, if not past the halfway mark, by now.  Hence my "eep" surprise reaction at the newsletter for February 2019.
    If " recently ... can get to work " and " ... beginning of Project Faerthale " are from February 2019, that's... yeah.  Even if they're from January 2019, it's still disconcerting, to me.

This post was edited by vjek at February 20, 2019 1:39 PM PST
    • 4397 posts
    February 20, 2019 1:45 PM PST

vjek said:

Yep.  Considering the public statements from 2018, I was expecting it would be at least halfway, if not past the halfway mark, by now.  Hence my "eep" surprise reaction at the newsletter for February 2019.
    If " recently ... can get to work " and " ... beginning of Project Faerthale " are from February 2019, that's... yeah.  Even if they're from January 2019, it's still disconcerting, to me.

There's some semantics going on here. "The beginning of Project Faerthale" is not referring to this month. He's describing things that happened in the past during the planning phase of PF, which was last year. Faerthale has been in development since at least Jun 2018:

"What are you currently working on in Pantheon?

Chris: Right now, I’m wrapping up the class reveal for the next newsletter. I don’t think there has been any point in development where I’ve been so busy because the class design requires so much thought to take 20 years of MMO design into consideration, and then come up with class identities that are fun, engaging, and unique, while still somewhat familiar.

Other than that, we’re currently working on the elven home city of Faerthale. Faerthale is what we’re calling our “reference zone.” It’s a zone that, from beginning to end, will show how all of our zones will be built. As you know, we’ve been very forward-facing in our development. But with the development of an MMO, things change a lot - there’s new tech, new people, new realizations, etc. A lot of the zones we’ve shown have been around for a while, and when we first started, there were a lot of things we didn’t really know about optimization to make things look good and run well, which we’re committed to. We’ve also learned a lot about how that ties into design. So Faerthale is going to be the first zone that, when it’s finished, will cohesively bring together world building, art, game design, and implementation to show complete systems, such as atmospheres, perception, climbing, interactable objects, etc. That way, we don’t have to keep saying what it’ll eventually be like. Instead, we can actually just let players experience it entirely. It’ll be a huge milestone for us internally because it'll be the first time that we'll have a zone that is launch-quality. That’s really exciting."

(Source: https://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/8736/bazgrim-s-08-jun-18-vo-t-dev-q-amp-a-summary-lore-and-design )

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 20, 2019 1:47 PM PST
    • 1216 posts
    February 20, 2019 2:15 PM PST

So the interview with Brad was done in June 2018?  If not, then there's still cause for concern. " that we’ve recently planned and documented to a level where our team can get to work ." is hard to mis-interpret.

If it was started in June 2018, and they're posting that things are just getting rolling in February 2019, that's... not.. ideal either. :|

• 4397 posts
    February 20, 2019 2:29 PM PST

vjek said:

So the interview with Brad was done in June 2018?  If not, then there's still cause for concern. " that we’ve recently planned and documented to a level where our team can get to work ." is hard to mis-interpret.

If it was started in June 2018, and they're posting that things are just getting rolling in February 2019, that's... not.. ideal either. :|

No, it was not. But I would be careful to not confuse Faerthale for "Project Faerthale." I'm still trying to get more details on this, but Project Faerthale is a much bigger undertaking than just one feature-complete zone. It includes new character models, sounds, animations, etc. (Source: https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_december_under_wraps/ ) So it may be that while the actual world building has been underway for quite some time, they have only more recently been able to work on the other aspects.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the word "recently" is also very subjective. Brad has been thinking about Pantheon for years. "Recently" could mean anything within the last year lol.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 20, 2019 2:29 PM PST
    • 1216 posts
    February 20, 2019 2:41 PM PST

Well, I cant fault your optimism, Bazgrim, and I think you're doing an admirable job of attempting to... how was it put.. move the goalposts to fit a narrative. :) hehehe.
    There's no way that's what it means, imho.  It's either they started Jan/Feb 2019, or they started June 2018, or some date in between.  In all cases of whatever the real answer is, it's very disconcerting that they don't have more to show for the amount of time that's passed, again, imho.

• 4397 posts
    February 20, 2019 3:02 PM PST

vjek said:

Well, I cant fault your optimism, Bazgrim, and I think you're doing an admirable job of attempting to... how was it put.. move the goalposts to fit a narrative. :) hehehe.
    There's no way that's what it means, imho.  It's either they started Jan/Feb 2019, or they started June 2018, or some date in between.  In all cases of whatever the real answer is, it's very disconcerting that they don't have more to show for the amount of time that's passed, again, imho.

The same could be said for your chronic cynicism. This is not the only case I've seen of confusion over what "Project Faerthale" actually means. The only solution is facts, so I'll find what I can and report back.

• 1851 posts
    February 20, 2019 3:19 PM PST

vjek said:

This is the reason they don’t share internal milestones. Anytime a developer shares any projected timelines, people will just wait for them to fail, so they can rub it in their face.

You have no idea what they have done, no idea what better changes they have added, and no idea what why an internal deadline may have been missed/changed. But, you feel the need to talk smack about their progress.

Yeah, it sucks that the game is not out yet. Absolutely nothing we can do about it. If it’s too much of a wait, we can always play something else. But, there’s a good chance that Pantheon will be worth the wait.

This post was edited by Beefcake at February 20, 2019 3:22 PM PST
    • 749 posts
    February 20, 2019 3:24 PM PST

In any case, I think there's no denying that we are still a lot further away from alpha, beta, and ultimately launch than anyone would really like (even taking into consideration your most recent video regarding an alpha timeline, @Bazgrim).  If Project Faerthale, whatever the full scope turns out to be, is indeed the road map and workflow for the remaining zone development, I can't help but wonder just how little world building has been started, much less completed (the idea being that PF will serve as the standard for development moving forward, meaning that PF needs to be finished before moving on to other zones).  I have generally held the thought that there must be a ton of zone building that we just haven't seen, but the more I hear about the progress of this single zone (Project Faethale) the less sure I am about that.  I sure hope my fears are unfounded.

• 1216 posts
    February 20, 2019 10:40 PM PST

From here: (Feb 20, 2019)

Aradune said:

Mathir said:

Brad, are you guys still feeling pretty good about getting all three continents in prior to release?  Is there any scenario you can see where the game might have to launch with just one or two of the continents finished?  

Possibly.  We may only need two.  The sizes of these zones are huge.  But maybe a continent feels too big and we want to do 4 smaller ones instead.  And sure I'm always worried to an extent, hopefully a healthy one.  The team is growing, the project is becoming more complex.  There's a lot of vigilance needed.  We need to be efficient and smart, not just work hard.  But, overall, I feel very good about where we're at.

So, there's a bit more context around the possibility of two continents at launch, or 4 smaller ones.