Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Non-Magic Classes and Colored Mana

• 1921 posts
    February 15, 2019 12:33 PM PST

Maybe this will be more direct.

• 71 posts
    February 16, 2019 10:36 AM PST

Serillen said:

Some level of magical channeling into their attacks is pretty much needed just for monks and the mundane melee classes to work. I mean I guess we could have monks that do only non magical damage, but only if they're absolutely ineffective at dealing damage to armored opponents. Can you imagine punching someone in plate armor? Its not going to be a pretty outcome for the puncher unless they're working some sort of supernatural energy into their blows. This extends somewhat to swords and daggers which weren't very effective against heavier armors. 

As far as combat resources, I'd preffer them over cooldowns if only because they make gameplay a little less rigid. Both playstyles can result in optimal skill rotations (and probably will because theres always going to be min/maxers) but I find that resource builders/spenders tend to have a little more flex in them.

Not to sound threatening or wanting to go into detail of quite some length to explain this, but I could likely change your mind if you were to don some plate armor of your choosing.

--- My opinions are not humble, they are just my opinions. ---

• 3852 posts
    February 16, 2019 1:15 PM PST

((but I could likely change your mind if you were to don some plate armor of your choosing.))

Sounds dangerous. I recommend that you do your cleric imitation and ...pass the plate.

• 185 posts
    February 16, 2019 1:19 PM PST

Serillen said:

Some level of magical channeling into their attacks is pretty much needed just for monks and the mundane melee classes to work. I mean I guess we could have monks that do only non magical damage, but only if they're absolutely ineffective at dealing damage to armored opponents. Can you imagine punching someone in plate armor? Its not going to be a pretty outcome for the puncher unless they're working some sort of supernatural energy into their blows. This extends somewhat to swords and daggers which weren't very effective against heavier armors. 

As far as combat resources, I'd preffer them over cooldowns if only because they make gameplay a little less rigid. Both playstyles can result in optimal skill rotations (and probably will because theres always going to be min/maxers) but I find that resource builders/spenders tend to have a little more flex in them.

I actually agree with you on melee combat resources. So long as they are not based on mana that acts/regenerates similarily to caster classes mana pools.

Not everything needs to be magically channeled.

Case in point, if you remember the Taunt mechanism in EQ? Its a simple and elegant "stand and Point" at the enemy that shows your group what your doing, and does so without turning a Warrior into Merlin the Magician channeling a magical light show to taunt the enemy.

If lights and particle effects go off when a tank taunts, or swings his sword, or a rogues backstab causes purple smoke to swirl all over the place, the game will be unplayable for anyone but 14 year olds. 

Thats my big worry.

This post was edited by lotuss79 at February 16, 2019 1:21 PM PST