Forums » Crafting and Gathering

“What We Know” Woodcutting

• 259 posts
    February 12, 2019 7:21 AM PST

“With the game in such early development these Harvesting, Crafting and Specializations are subject to change without notice.”

So, what do we know about Woodcutting? We know a little more than we do about crafting as the harvesting section of the wiki has a lot of useful information. We also have the Official Pantheon Newsletter from October 10, 2018 that has the latest Harvesting Update. Here’s a link for those who haven’t seen it yet: Harvesting Q&A with the always insightful Corey LeFever. It’s worth the read! Most of my information will be from the January 17, 2018 Newsletter, here’s the link: Gathering Information – A Look at Pantheon Harvesting with an informative missive by  Corey LeFever. It shows a great description of each of the harvesting skills except the newly added scavenging skill which is discussed in the October newsletter. So onward…

Here’s what we know so far,

Aspiring lumberjacks will need to find an axe suitable for woodcutting and some harvestable stumps, wood piles, or trees.

Not all trees will be choppable though, we don’t want to find barren wastelands filled with nothing but stumps!

Harvestable woodcutting targets will be found throughout Pantheon based on where they make sense ecologically, with some exceptions made for NPC groups that may be trading or cultivating specific lumber types.

In the early skill ranges woodcutters will find themselves interacting with basic wood types like oak, pine, poplar, and ash.

More experienced woodcutters will have opportunities to harvest rare and zone specific woods like Mirrawood, Swampwillow, and Candlewood.

In addition to lumber, saps and barks will sometimes appear in woodcutting yields.

The primary use for woodcutting rewards is in crafting recipes for Woodworkers, with some overlap for Alchemists, Scribes, and Provisioners.

Trees

Various kinds of trees are found all around Terminues. Some are rare and zone-specific.

Name:

Oak

Pine

Poplar

Ash

Mirrawood

Swampwillow

Candlewood

• 4 posts
    February 12, 2019 3:00 PM PST

Thank you for putting this together. I can't wait to see the system fleshed out

• 259 posts
    February 13, 2019 6:55 AM PST

Your welcome,

I believe as crafters we are in for a very fun and exciting time.

The likes of which have never been seen before in an MMO!

• 10 posts
    February 13, 2019 9:39 AM PST

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! I am really curious to see what sort of items are implemented for crafting at low levels, feel like your group could really push itself forward if everyone is able to assist in crafting gear and consumables for the other members of your party.

• 4 posts
    February 13, 2019 10:00 AM PST

I would like to see group made items. Like something where you need 2-3 craftsman to build together. Like a giant statue in the middle of town which takes a combination of different craftsman to build. This could be a VERY cool addiction even later in the game. Maybe we should post this idea somewhere on the forum for the developers to see.

• 2419 posts
    February 13, 2019 10:50 AM PST

I would hope that for non-lumber resources, sap specifically, one wouldn't always need the woodcutting skill but just a harvesting skill.  Some trees can provide sap on its surface so you just need harvesting but to get sap from certain trees you need woodcutting.  Pine trees, for example, exude a lot of sap on the surface while getting sap from Maple is a bit more involved.  Same for getting Rubber sap.

• 259 posts
    February 13, 2019 1:23 PM PST

Vandraad said:

I would hope that for non-lumber resources, sap specifically, one wouldn't always need the woodcutting skill but just a harvesting skill.  Some trees can provide sap on its surface so you just need harvesting but to get sap from certain trees you need woodcutting.  Pine trees, for example, exude a lot of sap on the surface while getting sap from Maple is a bit more involved.  Same for getting Rubber sap.

That's interesting, we'll have to wait and see where the dev's go with that idea.