Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How often do you play?

• 13 posts
    February 11, 2019 10:42 AM PST

I play an MMO everyday, but recently I did just finish playing Pillars of Eternity 2. 

• 947 posts
    February 11, 2019 11:23 AM PST

When I take an MMO seriously, I put more hours into the MMO than my career (because even while working, I'm likely looking up something or at least thinking about the MMO).  Because of that, I've stopped playing MMOs whille waiting for this game to go into Alpha - because if I start a new MMO, I will likely be involved in it more than I would like to be.  I've also forgone supporting other MMOs that are either now in alpha or about to be in alpha because I don't want to "support" multiple games when I'll only pay to play one at a time.  I came close to dropping $100 on a game now in alpha just to get an MMO fix, but if I do that and end up really enjoying it I could potentially lose the steam that I've had for PRotF; I really don't want to do that.

• 75 posts
    February 11, 2019 11:47 AM PST

I rarely play single player RPG's, also once i find a GOOD mmorpg that holds my attention i tend to play it exclusively.

I played Eq1 exclusively right up to and including PoP which IMHO was the ruination of eq1, thats just my opinion though.

Mmo's like wow i play for a little and get bored after getting to max within a couple of weeks which is by no means fast ( there are those that race to max in Days ) do the gear grind ( raids ) for a couple of months and get bored of that because its just all the same raids these days just slightly harder versions of the same raid only to get very slightly better statted versions of the same gear you just ground out just so that you can go do the Next slightly harder version of the same dang raid, So yeah i get bored of that pretty fast just like a lot of others do.

So i guess it all depends on how good and engaging and content rich the mmorpg is and how well it can hold my attention, if its got that Hook that draws you in and makes you Want to play.

• 35 posts
    February 11, 2019 11:58 AM PST

I usually play 30 hours of games a week. Currently not really into much MMOs until Pantheon is out but if I get into an MMO then pretty much 90% of that playtime is spent on it.

• 206 posts
    February 11, 2019 3:07 PM PST

Im always playing one of the major MMO's, while single player RPG's come and go quickly. When a single player RPG does come out im all about it! Then after a couple of months when i have to start paying money for cosmetic transactions, I log back into my MMORPG to meet back up with all my friends =).

• 68 posts
    February 11, 2019 5:43 PM PST

I play MMO's 100% of the time. I pay by the 3 month and no free to play. I consider those a money drain.  Free to play, do not think so. Sometimes I will pay for two MMO's but not over 3 months will I keep it up.

• 144 posts
    February 11, 2019 6:04 PM PST

When Pantheon releases I will likely be putting insane amounts of hours in with the guild and also exploring Terminus in the wee hours while everyone else is asleep, so probably 30-40 hours a week, possibly more if the content is there.

I am not playing anything at all lately as I have totally lost my taste for most of the current "AAA" games offerings (tho I have to say, Apex Legends really has me tempted... those devs made a top-shelf game imo), but I do log into Star Citizen alpha every once in awhile, and project 1999 EQ once in a blue moon to say hi to some old friends.

I am mostly just happy to wait patiently for Pantheon Alpha so I can feel those old 1999 feels again

• 123 posts
    February 11, 2019 9:42 PM PST

When a new MMO comes out I normally put all other games on the shelf.  Depending on how well the MMO draws me into the game I can go months (or even years) without playing another video game.  However, once I start to play other video games instead of the MMO I know I will be leaving the MMO within the next 6 months unless something changes.

• 1714 posts
    February 11, 2019 10:43 PM PST

About tree fitty

• 1479 posts
    February 11, 2019 11:13 PM PST

Not much mores solo RPG, usually I have my times when a good game comes out but it's quickly burnt and I'm back to something else.

MMO implication ranges into the 5 to 7 hours a day depending of my work and chores.

• 6 posts
    February 12, 2019 7:24 AM PST

I am with a lot of the people here, I play mostly MMO's a few single player RPG (RDR2).  

• 73 posts
    February 12, 2019 9:54 PM PST

Kilsin said:

How often do you play MMORPG's compared to Single Player RPG's? #MMORPG #communitymatters

I have only played EQ and Vanguard so I would say I play more single player RPGs than MMOs. Tried playing others like The Elders Scrolls Online but they are all have been so bad I usually quit within a week. I love challenging but rewarding games and I haven't seen that anywhere except for single player RPGs for some time.

• 11 posts
    February 13, 2019 2:00 AM PST

Sadly at the moment theres no good MMO out there thats worth my time.

I really like the Divinity Original Sin series and Pillars of Eternity 1+2 but these not the kinda games that you keep on playing forever (at least for me), cause its singleplayer.

So at the moment iam stuck again with my old love "Day of Defeat : Source" and been playing some classic wow next to it on Elysium till Pantheon is out.

• 432 posts
    February 13, 2019 7:35 AM PST

Like somebody already said , "often" is really not a good word . RPG and MMO are 2 completely different games and 2 completely different motivations to play them . There is in reality a very small minority (according to studies around 5 %) of players who really RP in an MMO .

One plays an RPG like one reads a book . RPGs blow all MMOs out of water as far as storytelling , lore , adventuring , immersion and identification with one's wharacter and with the world are concerned . In RPGs is also no time pressure - one plays whenever one wants and there is no risk to "fall behind" or to be "understuffed"  like in MMOs  . Games like Ultima 7 , Dragon Age , Skyrim or The Witcher are jewels and those who have never played them (or other excellent RPGs I could quote) probably don't even imagine what RPG means .

So if I added the time that I spent cumulated on single player RPGs in the last 30 years , I would get something like 4000 hours .

If I do the same thing for the MMOs , I'd consider only EQ->Lotro->FF14->TESO  (the 2 dozens of other MMOs I tried are negligible) , I would get something like 5 000 hours over a shorter period (98-2019) .

So cumulated it is approximately a 50/50 but it is extremely variable from one year to the other . F.ex during the first 2 years I played EQ or Lotro and was fully immersed  , I'd say that I played almost 100 % EQ and Lotro and around 0 % RPGs . In the last few years , it swapped the other way round , more like 100 % single player RPGs and 0 % MMOs .

To be even more accurate , I would say that for me  the %tage of gaming time spent on playing single person RPGs is approximately proportional to the age of the MMO I am playing . When the MMO is new , the time I spend on RPGs is  0 - 10 % . 5 years later if I still play the MMO in question , I have been there done that and the time I spend on RPGs is 5 times larger so around 50 % .

• 217 posts
    February 13, 2019 3:24 PM PST

It all depends really. Most RPGs just dont hold my interest, MMORPGS  I love, due to the community aspect.

Having friends to play with, adventure with and build memories together through overcoming obstacles, discovering new realms, coming up with tactics to defeat enemies and just chatting it up and having a good time, really gets my interest the most.

In my younger EQ and EQ2 days I had the freedom to spend pretty much 70hrs a week playing, but now 20yrs later its going to be closer to 22hrs a week. Having a good guild is super crucial as well, for putting up with "much" drama (theres always some) isnt acceptable at this ripe age of wisdom and intolerance for bullshit.

This post was edited by vigilantee13 at February 13, 2019 3:25 PM PST
    • 63 posts
    February 13, 2019 3:41 PM PST

If the MMO is enjoyable and not just grindy to create a time sink then I will play it exclusively with my allowed gaming time. If the world pulls me in and I'm engaged with the gameplay and beautfy of the world then  I'm all in and will play daily as time permits.

• 49 posts
    February 13, 2019 6:45 PM PST

Right now I dont play any MMO but with this game I could easily see myself playing all day off and on maybe 2 times a week, then maybe a few hours a night another 1-2 times a week and not playing at least 3 days a week if Im on my normal work gigs.  Depends as I work random schedules so may disappear for a week only to put in 60hrs on another week when I am jus relaxing with no responsibilities other than walking my dog for a several days (or weeks).  Love this life !

This post was edited by Greenkrak2 at February 13, 2019 6:48 PM PST