Forums » Support

Alpha start date?

• 22 posts
    February 10, 2019 11:17 AM PST

I've been away from the forums for awhile, and I currently have a Watcher's Pledge.  I'm considering moving up to a Pathfinder's Pledge if Alpha will be available soonish.  Any new information on when Alpha will be available?

• 12 posts
    February 10, 2019 12:00 PM PST

There are no updates at the moment on when Alpha might start.

• 154 posts
    February 10, 2019 12:03 PM PST
    I don't think there is any official info on alpha. They added some new members and changed a few things pushing the schedule back from what I understand.

They are doing another Pre Alpha phase though. PA5.

My hope is that PA5 will start no later than March and Alpha will start around June or July.

But who knows.
    • 22 posts
    February 10, 2019 12:10 PM PST

Thanks guys for the updates :)

• 137 posts
    February 10, 2019 2:08 PM PST

/castssomebones - Late this year, definately late 2019.  The bones don't lie!

--- My opinions are not humble, they are just my opinions. ---

• 2508 posts
    February 10, 2019 4:29 PM PST

The consensus opinion used to be not too late in 2019. Alas, WarKnight's guess is now towards the optimistic end. 

PA5 hasn't been rolled out yet as far as I know and it could be a *lot* more than 2 months between the time it ends and alpha.

• 127 posts
    February 10, 2019 8:54 PM PST

I wouldn't hold your breath on PA5 starting by the end of April. It sounds like they have a lot in the works right now. If I were to guess, I would say PA5 will be closer to the end of June but will be happy when it gets here regardless. I imagine we'll be in alpha by the end of the year. But this is all speculation.

This post was edited by randomrob82 at February 10, 2019 8:56 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    February 12, 2019 9:42 AM PST

Is better to not rush these things anyway, perfection takes time.

• 1 posts
    May 25, 2019 8:55 PM PDT

The only way you're going to get more people interested in the game is by letting them play the game. When I paid to back the game I thought, "maybe a year at max the game would be in alpha (testing out the core mechanics of the game)." It's not supposed to be polised or even doing more complicated systems (that's what the beta is for), Just seems to me that they are more cofused on promoting through streams/streamers than getting a workable test platform. Might just be me but that's what I've seen from when I pledged over two and a half years ago.

• 467 posts
    May 25, 2019 9:48 PM PDT

You think that but the evidence is against you. Many new members to our forums!  Hang out with us.  <3

• 30 posts
    May 26, 2019 5:12 AM PDT

Raijimura said:

The only way you're going to get more people interested in the game is by letting them play the game. When I paid to back the game I thought, "maybe a year at max the game would be in alpha (testing out the core mechanics of the game)." It's not supposed to be polised or even doing more complicated systems (that's what the beta is for), Just seems to me that they are more cofused on promoting through streams/streamers than getting a workable test platform. Might just be me but that's what I've seen from when I pledged over two and a half years ago.

In-Dev, Dev, Pre-Alpha (or whatever you might want to call it) is for laying down the core systems.
    Alpha is for introducing the remainder of the systems to be polished in Beta. Systems may include remaining classes, spells, mobs, dungeons, raids, zones, crafting etc.
    Beta is for polishing the systems and bug squishing.
    Stress Test is to find the upper limits of your hardware.

You move from Pre-Alpha --> Alpha --> Beta --> Stress Testing.
    It is not uncommon for Pre-Alpha (Dev) to take some 2-4 years before it can be shipped to Alpha. It is not uncommon for Alpha to take some 1-2 years. It is not uncommon for Beta to last about a year and Stress Testing is usually done over a few months so that you may test various hardware configurations.

You don't want them to start spending time on polish in an Alpha as that is, inevitably when new systems are introduced which may/may not break other parts that you just polished/bug tested which then needs to have said process of polishing/bug testing redone.

They most definitely use the streams to promote. They need funding. They're not Activision/Blizzard that can throw a 100+ Developer team at a project and be done after some 4years of development. Alpha will, likely, come at the end of 2019. First they need to release Project Faerthale then they can start PA5 and test if it works. After they have tested that it works they can start Alpha.

This post was edited by Ashreon at May 26, 2019 5:16 AM PDT
    • 7 posts
    August 7, 2019 5:24 AM PDT

Mythic said:

... if Alpha will be available soonish.  Any new information on when Alpha will be available?

Rofl, u can go on vacancy until 2021 at minimum. And the release may be in the 2020´s...maybe...

• 11 posts
    August 18, 2019 7:00 AM PDT
    @Ashreon - I’m assuming you have a relatively long list of games to provide that have taken 7+ years to go from pre-Alpha to release, if this amount of time is as uncommon as you claim it is.