Forums » The Druid

Druid Synergy

• 682 posts
    February 6, 2019 9:23 AM PST

Surprised no other druid has done this yet, so I will.

Druid seems to get the tail end in most MMOs. The jack of all trades and master of none approach. Druids in the game are now categorized as healers. So, what other classes do you think would syngerize well with a druid in a group format?

I'll start:

Reverberation

Passive Ability. When an ally is under the effects of any of your healing abilities and they are healed by another player in the group, that healing effect will jump to another group member as well.

This passive ability seems rather strong for a druid with the right group. This is probably the most exciting passive I have seen revealed so far and it screams Paladin tank partner.

So why do I think a Paladin would be, probably, the strongest tank partner with a druid. Well, because paladins can heal to.

Arcing Light

Instantly restores a small amount of your health, then jumps to two additional group members, healing X% more each jump. (Uses Wrath, Generates 1 Reckoning Point)

With having your healing effects on the tank most likely this self heal bounce will also bounce your healing effect on the tank to another group member also. It will be pretty good when dealing with mobs and raid bosses with aoe abilities in general.

Glory and Honor

For X duration, Y% of the damage you deal to your offensive target is converted into healing for your defensive target.

Another very easy heal ability to use for a paladin that bounces. If you have a healing effect on the defensive target by the Paladin I would assume this would chain with reverb and bounce to another ally..maybe even the tank.

This one has me the most interested:

Lightful Avenger

Passive Ability. In combat against an Undead enemy, your attacks will do additional Divine damage and have a higher chance to critically hit, your Wrath gains from abilities will be increased by X%, your Wrath gains from damage inflicted by Undead will be increased by X%, Undead who strike you in combat will take Divine damage and your critical melee strikes will generate Reckoning Points.

In addition, while in the Lightful Avenger state, all damage you receive from Undead enemies will be reduced by X% before your normal mitigation is counted. The amount of damage reduced by Lightful Avenger will be converted to health and spread evenly through the group as healing. This effect cannot occur more than once per second.

This passive ability has healing in the bold letters. If it is considered a heal and reverb is in effect when its healing done by another ally, then this should count as healing by another player. So in undeath areas this combo will probably be very strong.

Anyhoo that is what I have been thinking about. What do you guys think and if you have any more ideas shoot.

This post was edited by Watemper at February 6, 2019 9:27 AM PST
    • 2284 posts
    February 6, 2019 11:53 AM PST

Depends on how Reverberation works out ultimately.

I imagine it only works with targeted spells/abilities and won't pass around AoE/passive heals, and from the wording I take it to mean that a group member with reverb cannot trigger the effect with self-healing, in which case I don't think paladin would be able to take advantage of it with any of the above skills. I think the only spell listed on the paladin page that it would work with would be Oathflame. 

• 682 posts
    February 7, 2019 7:44 AM PST

I think you are wrong. You need to take into consideration that Reverb is a passive...so it isn't a group member with Reverb...reverb is always active as your passive. What triggers reverb is if you have a healing effect on a player. and that player gets healed by another player. This most definetly will work with the two skills. The passive one is in question...but it doesn't say targeted spells to begin with. If it does..then the other two still apply. They are both targeted technically. One is a self heal it looks like..which is a target, and the other one is a defensive target you have preset...which is still a target. So I don't see how you think reverb wouldn't trigger with those two. The one in question though is the pally passive. If it isn't target based, but simply heal based...then with the definition we have for reverb these passives should play off each other.

This post was edited by Watemper at February 7, 2019 7:46 AM PST
    • 2284 posts
    February 7, 2019 12:08 PM PST

I'm under the assumption that "When an ally is under the effects of any of your healing abilities and they are healed by another player in the group, that healing effect will jump to another group member as well" means they need to be healed by someone other than themself for it to bounce, so the self healing wouldn't work. But if self-healing were to work I'd be Dire Lord would be an even better choice as they have massive lifesteal/self-healing that would be absurd if it were bounced around. 

In all honesty though I don't expect this to make it into the game without being toned down to a relatively small % of the healing bouncing, since it sounds ridiculously overpowered (especially if any healing triggers bounces). 

• 682 posts
    February 7, 2019 2:05 PM PST

I don't think lifetap counts as healing. Anyways it doesn't say targeting..so the bounce effects on the paladin healing can still trigger since it is techincally getting healed by another player. Unless they change the wording on reverb to targeting, then it logically makes sense that the two spells and passive from the paladin will work. If it is targeting, then only Glory and Honor will work in this case, which is still pretty strong.

This post was edited by Watemper at February 7, 2019 2:07 PM PST
    • 469 posts
    February 7, 2019 3:06 PM PST

I think the real key to this synergy will be which Druid effects this will apply to. You need to be 'Under the effects' of a druid healing ability, so basically any Heal over Time would apply. As of today though we don't actually have any direct Heal over Time spells revealed for Druids. Although there are Regeneration style buff's but these will likely not be treated as 'healing effects'.

This might work with Verdanfire Seed which is a Damage Absorb shield that blooms healing based on the amount absorbed. So this could be applied once by the druid and then Reverb bounced by other players. Should be noted though that you can only have 1 seed at a time, and any seed that 'blooms' leaves a debuff preventing a new seed on that target for 10 seconds, so will be interesting to see if the game will make that check before deciding who it bounces too, or if you could have it bounce to a target who can't recieve it and it gets lost.

We will need to wait and see if the 'Wildfire' spell line and Verdanfire Tree are treated as a Heal over Time that's applied when you are nearby, or are triggered as direct heals in pulses hitting those who are nearby when it pulses. If they are short duration HoT's, perhaps Reverb could extend the range by having it bounce to a player who isn't actually near the Druid or Tree. I'm guessing though it's more likely to pulse direct heals.

All other Heal abilities shown so far are direct heals and wouldn't leave an 'effect' to be Reverb bounced. So we will need to wait and see what other 'healing effects' might be revealed as we get closer to launch.

• 682 posts
    February 8, 2019 8:05 AM PST

Correct on the Verdanfire Seed spell. Since that is under the healing ability category for druid and is an effect, that should be bouncable. That is the only other one that I see. 

• 12 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:56 PM PST

Iksar said:

I'm under the assumption that "When an ally is under the effects of any of your healing abilities and they are healed by another player in the group, that healing effect will jump to another group member as well" means they need to be healed by someone other than themself for it to bounce, so the self healing wouldn't work. But if self-healing were to work I'd be Dire Lord would be an even better choice as they have massive lifesteal/self-healing that would be absurd if it were bounced around. 

In all honesty though I don't expect this to make it into the game without being toned down to a relatively small % of the healing bouncing, since it sounds ridiculously overpowered (especially if any healing triggers bounces). 

Its pretty poorly worded really and I can see three interpretations of how the effect works, one of which is kind of bonkers. It basically depends on who the "another player in the group" is referencing. Is it referncing the druid, the person under the reverberation effect or both? If its the Druid then the person under the reverberation effect can self heal to get the bounce. If its referencing the person under the effect then a druid could bounce their own heals off the target. If its both then youd need another healer in the party which really limits its usefeulness if you have a Paladin or Dire Lord main tanking outside of raid scenarios. 

• 220 posts
    February 9, 2019 10:51 AM PST

I'm personally very excited about Reverberation (assuming I understand it correctly). I also really hope that the player base will be open to experimenting with different group makeups to take advantage of it. I would love to play a druid as a hybrid offhealer/dps in groups. Maybe set out a Verdanfire Tree at the beginning of each fight to get everyone under the heal effect, then switch to dps mode while the main healer has their heal power increased by Reverberation. I think in a lot of situations the extra healing would be well worth the damage reduction of having the druid fill that group slot that might have otherwise gone to a full dps.

• 682 posts
    February 11, 2019 12:29 PM PST

With the wording on Reverb I am 90% positive that is the healing druid effect that gets bounced. So the Verdanfire Seed will be getting bounced. Now with the passive active. I think since it is a passive it won't be on some cooldown. So I don't think this effect will benefit other healers, but benefits you in the sense that it is your healing effect that will bounce around. So this passive will be great in raids, but in terms of groups I can only see the paladin benefiting unless there are two healers in the group.