Forums » Website Support

..about those private profiles..again.. (aka same old, pt ii)

• 365 posts
    February 4, 2019 6:24 PM PST

My apologies for starting a new thread, but cannot find the old one, lol

This 'private profile'='no PM' situation is really problematic; i know i've mentioned it already and no one appeared to mind, lol, yes yes..

Except what with my recruiting, i now have an even clearer picture of just how problematic it really is. We've got a lot of people choosing private (maybe they fear doxing, perhaps just being overly careful) without being aware of what it actually entails.

So time after time, there's me trying to reach them and being unable to, there's them thinking i'm ignoring them since, well, nothing, right? Except that's hardly the case; communication breakdown. Only with consequences.

If for whatever reason you're so.. adamant to keep things as they are, could you at the very least add a mere popup? So that the minute one clicks 'private', it'd come up and warn them of the 'consequences' as it were? Again, many of your members are not even aware of what it really signifies.

And my thanks for reading :)

This post was edited by Aenra at February 4, 2019 6:26 PM PST
    • 2531 posts
    February 4, 2019 7:17 PM PST

My guess is that they are doing little or nothing with the forum because they expect a replacement forum to take its place. They have expected this for a *long* time but things keep taking longer than expected and working on the game is a higher priority. I have lost track of the latest predictions for when a new forum will roll out for the simple reason that the game is a higher priority to me also - nothing here I cannot live with for a while. I could be wrong but I would make a good guess that they aren't adamant about the way *anything* works on this forum they just aren't ...motivated .... to divert much effort to it at the moment.

• 365 posts
    February 4, 2019 7:26 PM PST

dorotea said:

My guess is that they are doing little or nothing with the forum because they expect a replacement forum to take its place. They have expected this for a *long* time but things keep taking longer than expected

Yeah, my guess as well honestly :)

That said however, when you have a problem that can influence the very purpose of your forum, a problem that's relatively easy to amend and one that's been ongoing for, how many years now? Since this was all started? All things being relative.. ^^

But anyway, my point was to primarily ensure they grasp the 'why' really. Just in the off chance they hadn't (i don't recall how i'd phrased it back then, nor if i'd pinpointed it, specifically).

This post was edited by Aenra at February 4, 2019 7:48 PM PST
    • 2531 posts
    February 5, 2019 7:35 AM PST

When I replied I didn't really understand what issue you had - didn't need to in order to understand why it wasn't being addressed.

By pure conincidence last night someone posted that my setting was "private" and they had tried to message me and couldn't. 

The privacy setting says rather clearly that it applies to people viewing one's profile - which cannot possibly have anything to do with sending or receiving private messages. But I am now guessing that it can and does and that is your issue. Odder yet I haven't changed my setting since I joined the forum and I *have* gotten messages in the past notwithstanding the setting. 

I check private on the general theory that no one has any particular need to see anything about me other than what I choose to say in posts. But easy enough to uncheck it I suppose if there is nothing *really* private on there.

• 365 posts
    November 23, 2019 3:50 PM PST

Nine months since last i reminded of it, year.. third? Overall? Been a while to put it kindly.

If someone could please spare the time to sort this out, it'd be really wonderful. Given how it doesn't exactly require a million lines of code, i'd have chosen to remain optimistic, but alas, year three; and counting.

If we could see that #communitymatters or whatever it is Ben keeps typing everywhere, only in actual practice this time around, am sure a lot of guild leaders n' officers would be very happy. You know, for us non-Twitter types. We do exist. Really.

My thanks for reading and my sincere apologies, simultaneously, lol, for bumping this again.

But, seriously..

This post was edited by Aenra at November 23, 2019 3:52 PM PST
    • 1331 posts
    November 23, 2019 6:55 PM PST

No pm system?

To send a private message go to : Message>Compose>enter name of the person

You can't click on their profile if private but you can still send them a pm.  That's not what this is about right?

• 365 posts
    November 24, 2019 3:59 AM PST

philo said:

You can't click on their profile if private but you can still send them a pm.  That's not what this is about right?

Mental associations can be a dangerous thing, huh; i remember having an issue, i remember others having it too, saw that said same issue persists, never even thought to go about it a different way; if blocked i thought, then blocked, no can do.

And no one told me differently either! All this time, lol

Thanks a lot man, for both the mental wake-up call and the tip! Much obliged ^^

• 1331 posts
    November 27, 2019 12:45 PM PST

NP, glad it helped.