Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Terminus, do you like the name?

• 334 posts
    February 6, 2019 11:28 AM PST

Naunet said:

I like Terminus. It makes sense for what the world is in lore - a convergence of universes. A terminus is a final point, and Pantheon's Terminus is a final point/destination for the various worlds that compose it.

That's actually one of the reasons I dislike it, personally. It's way too "on the nose." As a working project name it's not bad (and that's what I originally figured it was), but I would hope it's changed before release.

Avaen said:

The game is in pre-alpha. It's really not too late to change it.

Agreed 100%. If a name is too difficult to change in a pre-alpha state, then this game is in a lot of trouble.

• 646 posts
    February 6, 2019 11:39 AM PST

Sicario said:That's actually one of the reasons I dislike it, personally. It's way too "on the nose." As a working project name it's not bad (and that's what I originally figured it was), but I would hope it's changed before release.

As others have pointed out in the thread, it's technically not the "real" name of the world, but it is the one its new denizens have taken to calling it. I dunno, I like it. Way more than Celestious, especially.

• 947 posts
    February 6, 2019 12:44 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

It should be called Sonyeq...

Nice Qeynos name drop  ;)

How about Karen, with the initial "i" in the middle... like "Kairen"?  ;)

This post was edited by Darch at February 6, 2019 12:47 PM PST
    • 316 posts
    February 6, 2019 10:20 PM PST
    I like Terminus, and it makes sense as a most-recent title considering the lore -- but I must say, I really like Mithara... doublesatisfying there with a cool name and honor to Aradune.
    • 48 posts
    February 6, 2019 11:03 PM PST

I don't like it, but I can live with it. Other things annoy me more.

• 287 posts
    February 7, 2019 7:11 AM PST

I strongly dislike the name Terminus.  It sounds childish, a lazy Latin dictionary scan result.  While I have no problem telling my non-gamer friends about MMOs I play I doubt I'd ever tell them the name of the world in Pantheon.  For what it's worth, I dislike "Pantheon", too.  Another lazy pick.

• 3852 posts
    February 7, 2019 8:13 AM PST

I have already expressed a more positive comment about the name than most of us have - maybe I am an easy-to-please suck-up or maybe people that dislike something are far more likley to comment on the forums. 

From a marketing perspective the name of the planet is far less important than the name of the game. I am quite happy with the name Pantheon. 

• 752 posts
    February 8, 2019 4:12 PM PST
    Can we please be called terminators that live in terminus ????
    • 217 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:51 PM PST

Terminus,

Not really inventive, imaginative, creative or inspiring. Not a fan, I do however, like Pantheon and think the name of the game could easily be the world name as well. Play Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, in the land of Pantheon, as an "arisen from the fallen."

"We are all the arisen, from the fallen". All the individual races have fallen and now arise like the Phoenix. 

Just  my thoughts.

• 287 posts
    February 10, 2019 9:29 AM PST

Would be cool to get a shortlist of names that VR comes up with and have an open poll for those that have pledged to a sufficient level and let that be the name of the world. Or just go with "Fantasy Land 2.0" which is totes legit.

This post was edited by randomrob82 at February 10, 2019 9:29 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    February 11, 2019 1:21 PM PST

Darch said:

Anistosoles said:

It should be called Sonyeq...

Nice Qeynos name drop  ;)

How about Karen, with the initial "i" in the middle... like "Kairen"?  ;)

Or since this is neither Sony nor EQ, but following the same logic, it should be called "Ftorpsmlaeryranoisiv" lol

• 793 posts
    February 11, 2019 1:26 PM PST

I'll call it Pantheon so it doesn't matter to me, but I will say Terminus sounds more Sci-Fi than Fantasy.

• 211 posts
    February 11, 2019 7:52 PM PST

Never cared for Terminus as the name, but I get why they called it that, since it IS a terminus (with all the races coming to a single place). It seems a little cheesy to me. Unlike Halnir for example, which has cool lore of how it came to be called that. If anyone ever mentions Norrath or Azeroth, I know exactly what they're talking about. But Terminus, could induce memory of who knows how many cultural references.

But, it's not going to have any effect whatsoever on my playing experience, so the big picture, I don't really care I guess.

• 752 posts
    February 11, 2019 8:24 PM PST
    I have 9 seasons to watch of TWD......so ill get back to y’all on Terminus as a bad name. But i still hold with my previous argument that is ...... for those that havent seen TWD it is just a name and holds a simpler meaning, althought we all consider it a dark and dreary name. It’s just based on the lore. I now feel like any episodes of TWD are going to be ruined so i will be refraining from posting or viewing.
    • 1714 posts
    February 11, 2019 10:06 PM PST

The name is lazy, even punny. 

• 4 posts
    February 12, 2019 12:42 AM PST

A little on the nose, but by no means terrible I'd say.

• 39 posts
    February 12, 2019 1:48 PM PST

I wouldn't worry about the name of the planet.  They have the reasons they chose that name and it fits.  Crappy zombie show not withstanding.

• 18 posts
    February 12, 2019 3:42 PM PST

I don't like it, but I can live with it. I didn't know EQ was Norrath for years probably. 

• 6 posts
    February 13, 2019 7:51 PM PST

If not for Walking Dead, I figure it would be more accepted.  The word itself is fine. I personally don't see the problem with it. They had to pick something.

You can only twist letters around so many times.

This post was edited by Mythius at February 13, 2019 7:52 PM PST
    • 81 posts
    February 14, 2019 7:32 AM PST

Just please don't put it out to the community. We'd end up with Questy McQuest town or something like.

• 287 posts
    February 14, 2019 7:53 AM PST

Mythius said:

If not for Walking Dead, I figure it would be more accepted.  The word itself is fine. I personally don't see the problem with it. They had to pick something.

You can only twist letters around so many times.

They could have chosen a name with no baggage, no existing meaning."Norrath", for example. It's difficult to imagine a whole new fantasy setting when it's couched in place names with modern meaning.

"Pantheon" is another existing word with meaning and one that doesn't apply well to the lore.  It's arguably better than "Final Fantasy" or even "EverQuest" but still not a great choice.

When the basics like place names and the name of the game are approached in such an unimaginative manner it makes me worry for the rest of the game.  Are we going to find Townsville in the game?  Will Dark Forest be one of the zones?  Are we going to raid in Adventure Cavern and fight Smelly Ogre aka Smellus Ogrus?

They have writer(s) now. Put them to work on the name of the planet at least.

• 646 posts
    February 14, 2019 1:24 PM PST

kreed99 said: I have 9 seasons to watch of TWD......so ill get back to y’all on Terminus as a bad name. But i still hold with my previous argument that is ...... for those that havent seen TWD it is just a name and holds a simpler meaning, althought we all consider it a dark and dreary name. It’s just based on the lore. I now feel like any episodes of TWD are going to be ruined so i will be refraining from posting or viewing.

Yeah, I've never watched The Walking Dead (and don't really have any interest to). This thread is the first I've heard reference to there being some connection with the name. In my mind, "Terminus" is associated with Pantheon.

This post was edited by Naunet at February 14, 2019 1:24 PM PST
    • 16 posts
    February 15, 2019 7:15 AM PST

I meen it really matters very little as it wont really ever be used in conversation, the areas in game is more important then the world name itself.

That said, for some reason it feels mechanical to be somehow, as in it would be a mecanical world. Not sure why

This post was edited by Warioc at February 15, 2019 7:23 AM PST
    • 65 posts
    February 17, 2019 8:46 PM PST

I don't like it, but it won't stop me from playing. So many other options out there. 

• 5 posts
    February 18, 2019 3:37 AM PST

Terminus, Noa, Aevozul, Nhystyrrok.

The world has had many names. I'm partial towards Noa. ^_^