Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Terminus, do you like the name?

• 127 posts
    February 5, 2019 7:16 AM PST

Not a huge fan of it, although I do suppose it's an easy name to remember among all the world names that end either in 'th' or 'ia'.

This post was edited by Kaeldorn at February 5, 2019 7:16 AM PST
    • 2138 posts
    February 5, 2019 7:42 AM PST

Not a big fan of Terminus, but that can be easily glossed over with Lore. Some angry race that is upset for being there and not dieing when there world was destroyed may angrily call it "terminus" as an insult. Maybe the Skar? or Dark Myr?. But if associated with upset PC's and the real name is "nhystyyk" (fish-sticks?) the real name may get glossed over while all the players/IRL people call it terminus for short, even though they dont like the name.

Kind of like people saying New Tanaan instead of "Pee Oh Kay". New tanaan sounded just a bit superflious to me, causing me to side-eye whomever said it even though in my heart PoK was a game abomination.  

Could also be the "terminus" of  all MMO's. Best probably to leave it as the secret name, that everyone uses but doesn't like,  similar to Mafia and Cosa Nostra. 

• 1428 posts
    February 5, 2019 8:21 AM PST

terminus is fine so when i pk someone i can say: you have been terminased.

• 206 posts
    February 5, 2019 9:18 AM PST

Honestly, Terminus to me sounds like a captain from Warhammer or just something from outer space sci-fi. I agree that Terminus doesnt fit right. Some other options:

Codruna

Vanora

Urilia

Choria

or...Pearth haha.

• 41 posts
    February 5, 2019 9:21 AM PST
    I don't really like the name Terminus. I prefer the versions mentioned in the lore by a large margin..
    • 1033 posts
    February 5, 2019 9:43 AM PST

I don't care. It could be named "Area A" and I would be ok with it.

• 35 posts
    February 5, 2019 10:07 AM PST

Valorous1 said:

Honestly, Terminus to me sounds like a captain from Warhammer or just something from outer space sci-fi. I agree that Terminus doesnt fit right. Some other options:

Codruna

Vanora

Urilia

Choria

or...Pearth haha.

Hmm on second thought after reading that list maybe I should be grateful we got the name Terminus.

• 81 posts
    February 5, 2019 11:08 AM PST

Nah I hate it, allways have.

• 264 posts
    February 5, 2019 11:29 AM PST

I don't care for the name Terminus. It's not a huge deal to me, but I'd rather the world go by another name. I mean I didn't like Vanguard's world name of Telon either and it didn't prevent me from enjoying it. Still...in my view when you name the world it should be something a little more extravagant something more fantasy themed...Norrath was a great name. And I think FF14's name Hydaelyn is decent enough. Azeroth was kinda lame for WoW because that was initially the name of the human nation not of the whole planet, they coulda done better there too. Anyways I doubt this is a dealbreaker for most people.

• 334 posts
    February 5, 2019 11:36 AM PST

Amidst otherwise great lore and naming, "Terminus" sticks out like a sore thumb. It could definitely use a new name.

• 36 posts
    February 5, 2019 12:11 PM PST

It's interesting that walking dead has seized that name as fully as it has, even though it was just a 1 season thing.  Personally the name Terminus made me think of the Foundation series of books from Isaac Asimov. While that was sci fi and focused on ever increasing technoglogy, I'm comfortable with it being used here as well. 

Terminus sounds like a name that the many different peoples of the planet could agree on.

• 1479 posts
    February 5, 2019 1:13 PM PST

Terminus has a sense in the fact it's the ending path for shards of worlds, however as many others have stated, it also brings grim things.

From experience, the "-us" suffix in MMO lore is rarely fantastic, everything that is made close to latin (-os, -us) in the last decade had some cheap taste afterwards, and sounds a bit too "dramatic" for a simple world name.

I however, wouldn't ban the game for anything like that. Maybe it will simply make thoses cheap and overused names a better portfolio, and in a decade or two, we will have a good vibe when something his called with a latin name because of Pantheon.

(I'm not fond of Pantheon : Rise of the fallen's name overall, sounds like a sequel, but I'm fine with it anyway because the name isn't a reflect from the quality inside).

• 230 posts
    February 5, 2019 1:17 PM PST

I don't dislike it

• 523 posts
    February 5, 2019 3:31 PM PST

It's a dumb name.  And it's been used elsewhere.  That said, it doesn't matter one bit what they call the world.

• 696 posts
    February 5, 2019 3:41 PM PST

It's not a great name...but w/e.

• 35 posts
    February 5, 2019 3:44 PM PST

I'm actually suprised I don't think anybody has said they like it yet. Do you think the devs will change it or stick to there guns?

• 2886 posts
    February 5, 2019 3:48 PM PST

It's definitely not a placeholder. It's much too late for that. So even thought it's not my favorite, I don't really complain about it cause it's not gonna change - this has come up a few times before. I just wish we could decide whether the players living in it should be called Terminusians, Terminusers, etc. lol

Either way, Terminus essentially just means "the end." So I'm thinking it'll have significant meaning within the context of the lore of the game. I know a lot of people don't really look into the lore much. But it's worth noting that the world was really called Nhysttyrok (and before that, Aevozul) so if you just wanna be technical and impress your friends with your knowledge of lore, you can still call it that lol. Terminus is just what it has become known as to the inhabitants. It probably has something to do with the fact that the races have been brought here from other worlds with much cooler names, as some sort of final resting place. And once we discover why and how all the races are being brought here, it'll probably make a lot more sense why it's called "the end."

Fun fact: Back in the Kickstarter days, the world was called "Celestius." So they've already changed it, and that was a long time ago. They pretty much overhauled the game and had to have a very specific reason for renaming the world. At this point, it'd be a huge undertaking to change it again that's probably not worth their time. But the Pantheon hipsters will probably still call it Celestius lol.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 5, 2019 3:55 PM PST
    • 430 posts
    February 5, 2019 4:06 PM PST

Personally I perfer the name Celestius over Terminus . But hey whatever its called I call it Pantheon :)

• 35 posts
    February 5, 2019 4:21 PM PST

*double posted by mistake and can't get rid of it*

This post was edited by Drebin at February 5, 2019 4:25 PM PST
    • 35 posts
    February 5, 2019 4:22 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

It's definitely not a placeholder. It's much too late for that. So even thought it's not my favorite, I don't really complain about it cause it's not gonna change - this has come up a few times before. I just wish we could decide whether the players living in it should be called Terminusians, Terminusers, etc. lol

We are all Termites or even better. Terminators.

Also Terminus is better than Celestius so I can live happy now.

This post was edited by Drebin at February 5, 2019 4:23 PM PST
    • 72 posts
    February 5, 2019 4:39 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I hope the lore will make the name more meaningful, it should but seems a bit of a missed opportunity but will only be a small item once the game launches and we have real game items to talk about.  I am still holding out for Mithara!

Its only pre Alpha- nothing in stone, "White Out" makes everything look perty on them marketing brochures to change Terminus  XD-

Some great posts though,  interesting to see everyone's reactions, never knew Terminus was used in so many other media, I only know it from "TWD"

Deathwish  

• 646 posts
    February 5, 2019 9:38 PM PST

I like Terminus. It makes sense for what the world is in lore - a convergence of universes. A terminus is a final point, and Pantheon's Terminus is a final point/destination for the various worlds that compose it.

• 15 posts
    February 5, 2019 10:08 PM PST

Drebin said:

Bazgrim said:

We are all Termites or even better. Terminators.

Also Terminus is better than Celestius so I can live happy now.

This might be fun....

Terminusians seems close. We may need a latin speaker here...
    Termestrials?
    Terminestrians?

This post was edited by KiameV at February 5, 2019 10:09 PM PST
    • 97 posts
    February 6, 2019 5:01 AM PST

The game is in pre-alpha. It's really not too late to change it. 

• 35 posts
    February 6, 2019 6:14 AM PST

Avaen said:

The game is in pre-alpha. It's really not too late to change it. 

Depends how much writing they have done really. Could be a huge task if they have already implemented a lot of things that refer back to the name. Could even be enscriptions on a temple or something which means changing textures. A lot of work could be created from such a seemingly simple change depending on how much they have already implemented in regards to it.