Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Terminus, do you like the name?

• 72 posts
    February 4, 2019 2:57 PM PST

Ok probably a very silly question to ask but is the name Terminus for the world a done deal or a kind of place holder until full release?   I am not crazy about it, mainly since its associated with such bad memories from "The Walking Dead"  but it also does not seem to embrace the huge depth and fantasy world that Pantheon is going to bring to us.  It sounds so dark, abbreviated and final, which is what a "terminus" is and for me, puts a strange limitation on the world to come,  in my mind, if that makes any sense.

I almost would prefer some completely random name that was not associated with any real words or phrases. 

Kinda interested in what others think of the name and what would you call the world if you were a Pantheon god for a day?  

Mithara-  used this in a post down in the thread as a joke at first but I actually like it. (edited to add name after the original post) 

Deathwish... ( probably a good name too after this post cuz I can see all kinds of in game accidents and retribution comming from Brad in da future) ;>

(edited for spelling)

This post was edited by Deathwish at February 4, 2019 5:28 PM PST
    • 134 posts
    February 4, 2019 3:17 PM PST

What would you suggest the name be? I am fine with the name Terminus. I believe if you follow the lore it had a different name at one point? I could be wrong about that though.

• 363 posts
    February 4, 2019 3:38 PM PST

It should be called Sonyeq...

• 35 posts
    February 4, 2019 4:08 PM PST

OP that is exactly what I was thinking when I first heard the name of the world. All I could think of was bus stations. I'm terrible at coming up with names though and no matter what you pick somebody out there is going to say it's stupid. Still can't wait to explore it though and it'll hopefully grow on me.

• 15 posts
    February 4, 2019 4:19 PM PST

Seeing as i do not watch american TV (nothing good on, anime is where it's at!) I like Terminus. It's the endpoint for many different races and what better thing to call it 'collectively' than an end-point or Terminus.

• 72 posts
    February 4, 2019 4:20 PM PST

Bankie said:

What would you suggest the name be? I am fine with the name Terminus. I believe if you follow the lore it had a different name at one point? I could be wrong about that though.

After my post... only two names I would choose

McQuaidara

Mithara-kinda do like this one

Dont hurt me B!

• 643 posts
    February 4, 2019 4:59 PM PST

I agree with the OP - I really dislike the name and it came out the same time as Terminus on The Walking Dead and I think of that.  Not to mention, it doesn't sound like a hopeful refuge planet but like a very mundane Earthly end-name.

I think it should be changed to a more poetic world name.

• 1714 posts
    February 4, 2019 5:00 PM PST

No. It's a pretty bad name. 

• 2419 posts
    February 4, 2019 5:32 PM PST

Yeahh....its not the best name out there but it could be worse but isn't something that I would use as a deciding factor for playing/not-playing a game.

• 3852 posts
    February 4, 2019 5:46 PM PST

I have no problem with the name. 

What is a better name?

Haven? In a MMO the mobs die like flies - any place where *players* are allowed to go is very far from being a haven so definitely no to that one. Hopeful refugee planet my arse we prey on them as if they virtually don't even exist!

• 97 posts
    February 4, 2019 6:16 PM PST

I do not care for the name Terminus, either. It has an energy attached to it that doesn't align with what I think Pantheon is delivering. It has a vibration of science fiction, technical, metal-like, and cold. I wouldn't have a problem if they changed the name. In fact, I believe it would be beneficial. 

• 119 posts
    February 4, 2019 6:28 PM PST

I'm ok with it, but it does sit a bit oddly with me.

I grew up as a big fan of the Terminator movies with me and my friends at very young ages spending a lot of time watching the movies, playing with the toys, etc. Every time I read Terminus, my brain automatically wanders to "Terminator". Maybe it's because of this that it almost sounds a bit too sci-fi-ey to me.

This post was edited by Rokuzachi at February 4, 2019 6:29 PM PST
    • 752 posts
    February 4, 2019 7:02 PM PST

When you read the lore and how worlds and thier inhabitants are being gathered into this one after they are basically destroyed it makes sense as to why its dark and seemingly final. Idk what the walking dead has to do with anything here as i have yet to watch it. But if its an homage to that then its just an easter egg like every other game ever made. Game producers make decisions like these and if its not copy written then they have every right to go for it. Now..... if they had called it Pandora i would be complaining. Post apocalyptic zombies and medival fantasy are different worlds. How many cities in the US are named Washington?..... think about it, its just a word.

This post was edited by kreed99 at February 4, 2019 7:03 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    February 4, 2019 7:12 PM PST

Pandora might be a great name. Every time a few players spar in the arena without weapons we would have a chance to see Pandora's box.

• 40 posts
    February 4, 2019 8:20 PM PST

I also am not enamored with the name "Terminus".  I don't want to ruff any feathers, but it feels...lazy.  Guess it's just one step above "Gaia".

I just find it interesting that you have a bunch of people working on this, with a long tradition of RPGs, some I'm sure who were DMs and nobody ever created a world with a name that doesn't sound like it's been taken from real world terminology ?

I think over time people will just not call the world "Terminus" and will just refer to it as "Pantheon" instead.

Maybe they should open a contest and people get to submit names and they pick one they like and the winner gets a special title or something.

• 200 posts
    February 4, 2019 8:30 PM PST

When I first heard it, The Walking Dead immediately came to mind like others have said. I still think of that show any time I hear/read "Terminus".

For that reason alone I am not a fan of it. If I heard it from VR prior to watching that episode I probably wouldn't mind it at all.

However, now there is this constant connection between the show and Pantheon which I would rather not have.. who knows, maybe it will fade and I will associate that name with the game instead.

This post was edited by WarKnight at February 4, 2019 8:50 PM PST
    • 379 posts
    February 4, 2019 9:11 PM PST

Not a fan myself, all I think about is the Walking Dead. However I will play this game no matter the name, it could be called 'United Planets' for all I care.

• 724 posts
    February 5, 2019 2:12 AM PST

According to the lore, the original name of the world is Nhystyrrok (or Aevozul, I don't know which is "correct" or used in which context). The world being renamed to Terminus was apparently part of the dragon accord, see here: http://pantheonmmo.com/lore/history_of_terminus/

I agree that the name is not really that original. But maybe we will learn the reason why it was renamed at some point (I certainly hope so!).

Funny that so many of you associate the name with the walking dead though! For me, the first thing I thought was the starter zone of the Defiants in Rift :)

• 379 posts
    February 5, 2019 2:51 AM PST

I like the name, Aevozul, so much more.

• 483 posts
    February 5, 2019 2:52 AM PST

I love Nhystyrrok wouldn't mind if it became the most known name instead of Terminus

• 178 posts
    February 5, 2019 3:05 AM PST

I am OK with Terminus  (the place where gods cease) , it gives me the vibes of 'The Death Gate Cycle'.

i have no idea about the walking dead so IDK about that

• 9 posts
    February 5, 2019 3:06 AM PST

I don't care about the name, although I must admit Terminus isn't the most inspiring fantasy name. It sounds more like a name a third party would come up with, rather than inhabitants of the world itself. Perhaps there's a story behind the name we don't know about?

(as an aside, Terminus was the name of a gay bay where I grew up)

• 432 posts
    February 5, 2019 3:38 AM PST

I don't like it because in French everybody hears in his head : "Terminus, tout le monde descend ." . It means that everything stops there , it is not a beginning it is an end . Everybody disperses and goes home , the adventure is over , it is a virtual death . Not very engaging .

• 139 posts
    February 5, 2019 5:12 AM PST

I don't like it too. It didn't make me think of anything particular like the walking dead or terminator but I just think it's doesn't really ring well. It's about death so it's not the most inspiring. 

• 510 posts
    February 5, 2019 6:48 AM PST

In 2002 Earth and Beyond was released.  The lead GM for that game was named TerminusPrime.