Forums » The Enchanter

Dwarf Enchanter

• 12 posts
    January 13, 2019 1:32 AM PST

I think I might be interested in this combo, but it seems a little unusual.

Have there been Dwarf Enchanters in other fantasy?  

Dwarves typically have low intelligence.  Is this the Pantheon source of mana pool?  Will they have mana issues compared to other races?

I did find it interesting that in the list of Enchanter abilities that Charm and Mesmerize are based on both Charisma and Constitution, which seems to work for the typical Dwarf.

• 152 posts
    January 30, 2019 6:56 AM PST

Charisma for a dwarf? i can't even tell apart the men from the women! constitution i can see tho.

• 236 posts
    February 9, 2019 10:55 AM PST

I don't know how stats will play out, but I do like the idea of a Dwarf Enchanter. Just seems to fit, even though you don't usually see it done.

• 128 posts
    February 25, 2019 11:20 AM PST

any dwarf in cloth armor sounds kinda awesome if you ask me, but if CC success rates will be based off of a character's intelligence, constitution, and charisma, then this race seems like an AWFUL route to go

• 12 posts
    February 25, 2019 11:55 AM PST

randomrob82 said:

any dwarf in cloth armor sounds kinda awesome if you ask me, but if CC success rates will be based off of a character's intelligence, constitution, and charisma, then this race seems like an AWFUL route to go

I would expect the Dwarf to have very high constitution actually, likely one of the highest.  I also suspect this is why they added con to the CC checks as Dwarf usually has low charisma.

This post was edited by Elddar at February 25, 2019 11:58 AM PST
    • 12 posts
    February 25, 2019 11:57 AM PST

I played a Dwarf Lore-Master in LotRO, which is why I am kind of interested in the Dwarf Enchanter here, I think.

• 4335 posts
    February 25, 2019 6:12 PM PST

They shed some light on this reasoning when they first revealed the race/class combinations. Lore is really what drives the design decisions:

"Why Some Casters and not All Casters?

The simple answer here is that we looked at each of the 3 caster classes as distinct and standing on its own merit. When we did that we were able to make the connections to each race more freely and not assume “If One Then All” for each race. So Dwarves for instance -- as some have already suggested -- prize crafting and smithing to a degree that makes Enchanting a natural fit, but has nothing to do with Summoning. Once we let each arcane class have its own identity in the world, it didn’t feel right to lump them in as a One Caster Equals All Casters package."

(Source: https://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5228/pantheon-class-and-race-combinations )

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 25, 2019 6:13 PM PST
    • 564 posts
    March 11, 2019 12:01 PM PDT
    Still having trouble seeing how crafting and smithing have anything to do with a class that specializes in manipulating brains TBH. At this point it doesn't seem like races will have significantly different takes on classes, so apparently there's some connection between giving a piece of metal additional sharpness and making a brain stop functioning for a minute.
    • 1650 posts
    March 11, 2019 3:31 PM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said: Still having trouble seeing how crafting and smithing have anything to do with a class that specializes in manipulating brains TBH. At this point it doesn't seem like races will have significantly different takes on classes, so apparently there's some connection between giving a piece of metal additional sharpness and making a brain stop functioning for a minute.

It's not brain magic, that's making a modern view of how magic should work in an euclidian space.

It's enchanting, either someone to do your bidding, or an object to do your bidding. One is bound to your will while the other is bound to become what you want.

Enchanting allways refered either to coercition, or placing powerfull effects on inanimate objects to change their hardiness, magical properties or simply trigger an alarm.

• 564 posts
    March 12, 2019 8:05 AM PDT
    So, we can agree that there is a difference between binding someone to your will and binding an object to do what you want. So what's the connection? If you are good at one I really don't see why you would be good with a class that almost entirely does the other.
    • 564 posts
    March 12, 2019 8:15 AM PDT
    Being an engineer doesn't make you good at all aspects of engineering so much that you could do as well as anyone else focusing on any particular aspect of it. Same with doctors. Or accountants. Or security.

I mean of the given reason for dwarf chanters was "cuz magic", "cuz we say so", or "cuz it's cool". I'd be able to accept that. It's when you introduce these weird stretches like "foot doctors are obviously good at brain surgery, cuz both are things doctors do" that really confuses me