Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Todays Newsletter

• 259 posts
    November 14, 2018 1:46 PM PST

Not any type of major announcement, but still a little info for the Crafting Community. I pulled this question and answer from today’s newsletter, check it out:

2. Do you see Perception content being required for certain aspects of progression? I.e. Would I need to trigger Perception to find a hidden passage that leads to a Boss or Raid zone?

No. While Perception may afford its practitioners certain personal advantages, it is intended to enhance content for the general player base, not block it - much like Crafting.

I like the idea of Crafting being used to Enhance your character. What message do you get when you read this question and answer?

• 595 posts
    November 14, 2018 2:07 PM PST

Shyin said:

Not any type of major announcement, but still a little info for the Crafting Community. I pulled this question and answer from today’s newsletter, check it out:

2. Do you see Perception content being required for certain aspects of progression? I.e. Would I need to trigger Perception to find a hidden passage that leads to a Boss or Raid zone?

No. While Perception may afford its practitioners certain personal advantages, it is intended to enhance content for the general player base, not block it - much like Crafting.

I like the idea of Crafting being used to Enhance your character. What message do you get when you read this question and answer?

It seems apparent to me that the two mechanics offer the player a choice in playstyle, another avenue of progression, a change of pace or something to strive for rather than forcing the player down a particular path.  So for example, while a crafter might take great pride in only wearing gear they have produced themselves, they certainly won't be naked if they chose not to craft.  In other words, there will be means of gear acquisition outside of the crafting sphere.

• 1479 posts
    November 14, 2018 2:48 PM PST

I'd see it as a shortcut for some things (hidden doors, keys, passages), specific quests with interesting rewards, increase in movespeed in outside areas.

Some minor bonus that reward doing it, but might not be something you consider if all you care about is bashing.

• 768 posts
    November 15, 2018 1:24 AM PST

There is potential. That's what I'm reading from it. 

Very few things can be linked to crafting in this newsletter. 

There is a lot that can be said, but it does not appear that the dev's intended any message relating to crafting in this newsletter.

It can open up a large debate and suggestions, that's for sure. 

• 1315 posts
    November 15, 2018 4:43 AM PST

Very hard to say where they are going with that comment in reference to crafting.  I took it more simply as a player can play the game without interacting at all with perception or crafting but their experience will be lesser for it.

Still hoping we get an actual design philosophy response for how they are approaching crafting in regards to progression, material consumption, practitioner player experience, and the section of the player economy it is intended to fill. 

• 168 posts
    November 16, 2018 6:49 AM PST

I thinks a mistake to read too deep into the statement. IMO there is no "between the lines". If you want to craft- then craft. If you want to use perception-then use perception. I see nothing that says anything beyond that. I read nothing that implies you get a leg up on others if you do these nor do I see anything that indicates you fall behind if you do not.