Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafter's Roundtable: Inventory Management

• 1785 posts
    September 4, 2018 8:37 AM PDT

Each week, Pantheon Crafters posts a Crafter's Roundtable for community discussion. This week, the topic is about inventory management.

In almost every MMO crafting implementation, you need to have materials and components on hand in order to make something. Sometimes these resources can take a lot of inventory space, and so for the serious crafter, managing inventory space can sometimes be a challenge.

How would you like Pantheon to address inventory space and managing that space, for crafting purposes?

• 2419 posts
    September 4, 2018 10:07 AM PDT

What exactly do you mean by 'inventory management'?  Are you looking for tools that reorganizes inventory by name alphabetically?  Or that automatically creates stacks of separate items which can be stacked?  I've always been very particular about how I organize both my character carried inventory but also my bank slots.  Having spent 9 years in EVE Online where having multiple thousands of items and ships spread across dozens of stations knowing just where everything is was hugely important.  But in games like this where your total inventory capacity is, relatively speaking, limited I'm quite resigned to just organizing things manually.

• 1785 posts
    September 4, 2018 10:10 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

What exactly do you mean by 'inventory management'?

It's just a general topic to get people started - I think you bring up a great point about sorting and organizing! :)

• 2419 posts
    September 4, 2018 10:57 AM PDT

Nephele said:

Vandraad said:

What exactly do you mean by 'inventory management'?

It's just a general topic to get people started - I think you bring up a great point about sorting and organizing! :)

Let us supose I open up a 10 slot bag. In the upper margin on the bag you have a button to close the bag.  I would want a toggle button next to that which, upon first click, sorts alphabetically ascending then clicking again sorts alphabetically descending.  Perhaps another button to sort by quantity high-low or low-high.

I'd also want the ability to name our bags so I could have a bag where I keep potion materials, blacksmithing materials, etc so I can quickly look at a bag and know what is inside it.

My first inclination would be to have, in the game's options area, checkboxes like those I mentioned above, but then thought I might want individual bags sorted differently.  I'd much rather have the options to sort as I wish than having only 1 option govern everything.

• 31 posts
    September 5, 2018 8:32 AM PDT

Simply put, a seperate tab just for bags to carry crafting items.  It is really difficult to take normal inventory items such as potions, clickies, spell components, aquired loot to start with.  Throw in multiple items for crafting or scavenging  it becomes unbearable.  A seperate tab with chances at bags that reduce inventory weight has always been helpful.  I do not find it appropriate to penalize players who do take interest in crafting by overwhelming inventory space.  Now once an item has been crafted say a weapon or potion or such.. then turn them into the normal inventory panel.

• 1315 posts
    September 5, 2018 12:01 PM PDT

I would vote for a sortable volume and weight limited bag system.  Say a bag can hold a cubic foot of material and 25 lbs, the bag will continue to accept items until either the volume or mass is maxed out.  The bag will then have a sort and find by string drop down menu.  Ideally the entire inventory will also have a find tool that will highlight which bag an item is in, this is more important for large banks.

• 168 posts
    September 5, 2018 7:56 PM PDT

I am hoping for weight reduction bags for crafted materials. Maybe a similar thought for ammo. I don't know that it should be a Bottomless Sack but some expanded capabilities vs normal bags/backpacks would be very nice. These bags should be available to be carried by the person as well as used in a bank slot application (if they do not do the GW2 craft materials method of bank storage). All other games have limited bagspace to create a necessary game tension. I do not see that changing here.

However, the games that do that and then throw encumberance on top of it severly inhibit gathering capabilities of the crafters. Small fragile races will not be able to do the crafts they wish to do if some form of weight reduction gathering/crafting bags is not implemented in the game. If someone really wants to play a halfling, they should not be restricted from crafts requring the heavier raw materials such as lumber and ore.