Forums » The Enchanter

Enchanter Answers And Follow-up Questions from the Q&A for C

• 367 posts
    August 18, 2018 12:31 AM PDT

First and foremost, Chris and Brad as well as the rest of the team at VR, we as a community thank you for the continued work and the answering of questions from your supporters through not just prior streams but also on the forums when available. We do understand not all can be answered given the time allotted or with how busy you all are. From a personal standpoint however, while I appreciate that you  answered two of mine, I was hoping for insight into a few others I had which weren't touched upon. For those reading this, those questions that were answered will be crossed out with Chris' answer below as well as additional information given throughout the stream at the bottom of this post.

[Disclaimer: The answers are paraphrased here due to the extemporaneous fashion in which they're answered. If you want to see the answers in full please visit the MMORPGcom Twitch channel as I cannot post links in this forum]

Questions

1. Will there be a mitigating factor with Charm such as a decreased attribute, health and damage output of that mob and more extensively when Permanently charmed or will it work similarly to EQ1?

- Mobs when charmed most likely will not retain their full power. While they'll still be significant, what we can expect is the basic charm will reduce the NPC's overall power by a percentage and Dire Charm with a lessened reduction. A charmed pet is not meant to compete on even footing or replace the output of a player in the group.

2. Why are there two versions of the Summoner's 'Summon Creature' spell that operate on different power curves? Does this mean mobs in the world will have disparate power structures? Why would an Enchanter choose one of these creatures over say choosing any number of creatures in the vicinity, especially if they have a chance to permanently charm them?

3. Will charmed mobs retain their skills and abilities? Will they use beneficial spells on themselves, the Enchanter or the group and will you be able to actively use their abilities through the pet window?

- There will most likely be an ability set for every NPC. Some NPC abilities will be flagged however to be used when charmed while others will not. This is a means to prevent some NPC abilities that may be devastating or overpowered to be used in a player use setting. The actual abilities those charmed mobs use however will not be controlled by the Enchanter and instead will be used by the NPC directly.

4. Will the Epic spell Fascinate affect multiple targets at once or does Mesmerize have an inherent limitation on the number of targets it can effect and Fascinate simply removes that limitation?

5. Will there be an either/or option in your choice of epic abilities leading to a type of specialization?

- While specialiation with regard to diverging paths of a characters development was a concept in the inception of this game, the developers are moving to the idea of what spells you select and which you have completed in the form of adventure, discovery or questing. There will also be modifying factors that allow spells to be affected based with respect to how you've geared your character in terms of attributes. Some spells or spell groups may favor higher Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma etc. allowing for every enchanter to, through their choice or selection in attributes, favor a style of play or selection of spells or abilities.

Additional information regarding the class

- There is ongoing discussion whether or not they will have diminishing returns on various forms of Crowd Control and Pseudo Crowd Control such as Mez and Snare, Root, Stun etc respectively. Chris emphasized that they didn't want certain classes within their archetype not operating at their full potential and in reference to whether or not diminishing returns will be detrimental to one of the core functions of the Enchanter or Bard. 

- Squee's Mimicry and Grand Foolery won't work on every target and the capability for it to fool an NPC will in part be determined by your skill or capability in illusions.

This post was edited by Janus at August 18, 2018 1:27 PM PDT
    • 1650 posts
    August 18, 2018 3:28 AM PDT

That's reassuring enough to consider the enchanter / control as a crucial one withouth overshadowing other characters.

I bet the summon creature / behemoth is mostly here to avoid charm messing with respawns or uncharmable creatures.

• 367 posts
    August 18, 2018 11:12 AM PDT

"I bet the summon creature / behemoth is mostly here to avoid charm messing with respawns or uncharmable creatures."

While I've thought about that, it makes me think about the use considering. Most people I know aren't going to be concerned with taking a mob out of the world or spawn since it's usually a trash mob and in a setting where it won't have a large enough impact to be noticeable. I could see in the case where you're in an area where nothing can be charmed, but after the Q&A I feel like that may not be seen much, if at all. The fact that it's designed in such a way as to not be given the option of being permanently charmed does question the direction as a whole.

What I would think is, regular spawns aren't possible to be permanently charmed and instead, the Summoner version doesn't pull from the world but creates one while still stating it summons from the world. Then that version can be permanently charmed without having a permanent removal of a particular mob in a dungeon or in the world. Keep in mind however, charm is very likely to only effect regular mobs. I doubt we'll see named or quest mobs as flagged to be charmed in the game.

The other aspect that begs more questions is that the two summon spells summon varied strength mobs. This may shed light into how they're creating mobs in the game and unlike in EQ1 where strength was fluid and dependent largely on levels with the nuance being dependent on class of mob, attributes etc, we may have regular mobs and heroric mobs. I'm hoping not to see the latter. Having that kind of rigid division feels artificial and is one of the aspects that EQ2 did very poorly in their combat which made the game feel extremely plastic if you were used to the very organic methodology of EQ1.

We'll have to see.

This post was edited by Janus at August 18, 2018 11:17 AM PDT
    • 367 posts
    August 22, 2018 11:19 PM PDT

Due to NickHots' stream we were given further information as to the Enchanter spell repertoire to include mechanics. One of which somewhat answered my 4th question for the previous stream on August 6th.

Question: "4. Will the Epic spell Fascinate affect multiple targets at once or does Mesmerize have an inherent limitation on the number of targets it can effect and Fascinate simply removes that limitation?"

Answer: According to his gameplay, you can currently mez more than one target which would lead one to believe that 'Fascinate' effectively allows you to mesmerize multiple targets at once. 'Fascinate' states, "Epic Ability. The Enchanter can evolve their 'Mesmerize' ability into 'Fascinate', allowing them to mesmerize multiple targets at the same time."

Additional features I felt would be pertinent is the scope of current abilities and new abilities not in the reveal. Disclaimer: Please understand the abilities are subject to change both in their admittance and function as well as values.

Mesmerize - Something I did notice was variable strength Mesmerize spells which would signify a level range where each grows in duration but also mana cost. Three were available which scaled from 16 second to 24 second and eventually 30 second duration. There's also an unresistable 30 second mesmerize spell called 'Enrapture' with a 1 second cast time and a 150 second (2.5 minutes) cooldown. Either the base value will change in later iterations based on your Charisma and Constitution or it will be modified and heightend. The spell states in the reveal, "You mesmerize your target, completely incapacitating them for X duration. The duration of this effect can be increased based on your Charisma and Constitution. Any damage will break the effect".

Hastes - What was shown was an 8% melee haste and an upgrade version at 12% listed as 'Illusion Graft: Quickness' and 'Illusion Graft: Veracity' respectively. There was also a 20% spell casting haste called 'Illusion Graft: Acuity'. They each had a 24 minute duration.

Slows - 'Illusion Graft: Exhaustion' had an initial and upgraded version. But what was interesting was that it slowed not just melee attack speed but also casting speed as well. The 2-minute debuff named 'Illusion Graft: Fatique' had an 8% melee slow and 10% casting speed slow while the following spell named 'Illusion Graft: Exhaustion' had a 12% melee slow and 20% spell casting slow. 

Mana Drain - One of the surprises was to see the Theft of Thought mana drain type following the Enchanter from EQ1. Although Enshire's Mana Guzzle doesn't work exactly like Theft of Thought, it has a 1-minute cooldown and drains the target's mana while channeling over 4 seconds. The amount of mana replenished seemed to reflect the amount used to cast upwards of 4-6 mezes or 3-4 nukes. 

Pacify - The initial pacify line 'Control Breath' listed the effective range at 4 meters (13 feet). Meaning that when cast on a target, anything aggroed within that radius will effect the target.

PBAE Stun - 'Ghaven's Wild Display' listed the cast time as 1 second with a 6 meter range (20 feet) and lasting for 5 seconds with a 20 second cooldown.

This post was edited by Janus at August 22, 2018 11:32 PM PDT
    • 99 posts
    August 23, 2018 4:58 AM PDT

The amount of mana returning to the group from his nukes felt good. And I LOVE the ray ability that returns Mana to the Enchanter. Gameplay pace felt smooth and fun.

I'm looking forward to watching the other perspectives. I'm wondering though if 4 mezzes on the hot bar is too much. He did mention he should've memorized slow and I think if he did it would've felt perfect.

Oh and Nick, be nice in OOC. =p

This post was edited by Avaen at August 23, 2018 4:59 AM PDT
    • 367 posts
    August 23, 2018 5:16 AM PDT

"I'm wondering though if 4 mezzes on the hot bar is too much"

It was. At most, he didn't need more than the 30 second mez and the unresistable mez. The only thing he was off on was his mana management but that's no slight on him, he did a great job, especially when compared to previous people who played the class. With proper mana management and with the cost/duration currently with the mez, it's just not an area where he has to skimp on. 

This post was edited by Janus at August 23, 2018 5:17 AM PDT
    • 99 posts
    August 23, 2018 7:04 AM PDT

Darkintellect said:

It was. At most, he didn't need more than the 30 second mez and the unresistable mez. The only thing he was off on was his mana management but that's no slight on him, he did a great job, especially when compared to previous people who played the class. With proper mana management and with the cost/duration currently with the mez, it's just not an area where he has to skimp on. 

I agree, Nick rocked it! It was awesome to see the Enchanter shine in its role. 

I know the development team has stated that they're thinking about adding a bar just for macros. I'm hoping they do this because I love macro'ing chat commands with my mez targets and binding that macro to my mouse to alert the party. Sometimes voice can get hectic so it's nice to have that message visual. It's even nicer when the group is configured where the Enchanter can /shout or /announce the command so it appears in the middle of your screen (if the game is designed with that functionality). 

• 156 posts
    August 24, 2018 9:53 PM PDT

I agree Nick did a great job.