Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafter's Roundtable: Styles

• 1785 posts
    August 14, 2018 7:02 AM PDT
    Here's another Crafter's Roundtable, brought to you by the team at Pantheon Crafters.

For today's crafter's roundtable, let's talk about fashion. Style.

As a crafter, how do you feel about having different regional or racial styles that could allow you to customize the look of your crafted item? For example, a shield in the Dark Myr style vs. a shield in the Dwarven style? If this is something you'd like to see, should crafters be able to learn different styles or should they be limited to their own? How should learning different styles work?

If you're not a crafter, are style choices something that might make you more likely to buy and use crafted items to help get different looks for your character?

Let us know what you think here, or you can come over to the discussion thread at Pantheon Crafters to join the discussion there!
    • 1315 posts
    August 14, 2018 7:23 AM PDT
    I have not played ESO much but the little bit I did I had a great appreciation for their style system. Each item had a style slot that you had to fill in when creating the item and based on your race and faction you would have access to using different style components to effect the look. I see access to different styles of the same mechanical item as a great horizontal progression for crafting.

The styles themselves could call a specific 3d model then based on what sub ingredients you used one could adjust the color map from a list of style appropriate hues. For that mater both the 3d models and the color hues could be different horizontal progressions and based on how the items are rendered in game the developers would have to do very little additional work other than mapping the color map zones.
    • 24 posts
    August 14, 2018 11:58 AM PDT

Trasak said:

I have not played ESO much but the little bit I did I had a great appreciation for their style system. Each item had a style slot that you had to fill in when creating the item and based on your race and faction you would have access to using different style components to effect the look. I see access to different styles of the same mechanical item as a great horizontal progression for crafting.

that is an interesting way to go about it, that way you can customize an item when it's made like most people are really wanting. also i'd imagine a person from the northern mountains wouldn't be wearing the same leather armor as someone from the desert. and someone who is an ogre might REALLY like the way the Dark Myr armor style looks but the dark myr can't be Shaman's. this could also solve the issue some people are having with wanting to be able to dye armor. make make it so only crafted items can be dyed upon creation. this way they can keep the unique Iconic Look of the drops and raid gear the cdevelopers are wanting to create, and this would also provide a revinue for smiths to create a "clientel" and give a further use of adding Maker's Marks to the items crafted. so they can contact the smith that made it and be like "hey, i just got this awesome blue cleaver from a boss, could you make the a black and blue suit of armor that's comparible to what i have? or make it so that you have to be able to craft that item from scratch if you wish to dye it? i do see issue with the graphic designers wanting to, or having the time to, code and draw out all the different armor styles for each race however.