Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Mount crafers

• 57 posts
    July 17, 2018 5:11 PM PDT

I wanted to ask if there was any ideas about crafting mounts and pets.  I know only certain classes will have pets but I thought it would be nice to be able to purchase a skin for a pet. For the rest of us being able to purchase a nicer mount with desired stats and graphics would be nice.  This way the horse will not only be functional but could match my cape.

• 1785 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:46 AM PDT

I'm not sure if actually crafting mounts/pets makes sense in Pantheon's mythos... but raising/training them might be a neat idea.  I think the challenge with doing a mount/pet training system is that you'd really want to tie it to player housing in some way, and we know that housing won't be a launch feature.  But let's say we get housing in the first expansion post-launch.  That would enable:

- Players could build stables attached to their houses out in the world

- A player with a stable could capture or purchase animals for their ranch.

- Captured/purchased animals could be bred, if you feed them and take care of them right.

- Breeding provides you with a supply of young animals more suitable for training.

- Young animals can be trained as non-combat pets, as combat pets, and as mounts, and then sold to other players.

If it were up to me I would tie this into the Freehold player city concept that everyone is probably sick of me talking about in these discussions :)  But, assuming that we get in-world housing at some point, this should be something someone could do if they build a ranch-style house with the right facilities.

• 57 posts
    July 18, 2018 3:28 PM PDT

I was thinking of animals harvested in the wild that were  fed, trained, and cultivated to be beneficial to adventures.  Possibly more for looks, but if they could provide stats they would be almost used like other gear slots like EQ2 

• 168 posts
    July 18, 2018 4:40 PM PDT

I have heard of games where you could craft items for a mount but unfotunately have not played them. This idea interests me. Taming, raising, feeding, training them to perform functions (WarHorse :D).

Let me add to this train of thought; more than a few of us that played DAoC REALLY loved taxidermy (it was a profession there), you harvest a rare drop critter head either from a level 1 wisp up to a BattleGroup (raid) mob. Generally guild houses would sport the raid mob head on a wall and the more common mounts (trophies) were displayed in personal houses.

I would like the game to be complex enough to enable all trains of thought concerning animals alive and dead.

• 768 posts
    July 19, 2018 11:42 PM PDT

I've played a game where one had to capture dragons and learned to ride them (forgot the name of the game). In this game you could loot/craft items that would benefit your mount such as armour. 

If you'ld stop there, just capturing and crafting items to boost that mount. Now that seems doable. Going further to raising mounts from nothing, wouldn't it be too elaborate. If you capture a critter and place it in your stable or house and after 2 months you come back and find a fully fledged mount..is that really an immersive experience? Or is it a quick fix? If you were required to tend to your stationed pets/mounts..I'm not sure a lot of players would loving that idea to spend their time ingame.

Very similar to what Nephele stated; In eq2 you had the warders of a beastlord that gained xp when joining you in battle (in combination with certain ca's). But perhaps just to have the animal with you on your travels could allow the animal to grow? Where at first it would just follow and in a later stage it would be able to do a minor action to benefit you and in the final stage it could be your mount? (I do believe something similar is already in place for shaman pets and rangers, if I'm not mistaking). I've experienced it in other mmo's as well.

So that would bring us back to, craftables to boost your mount, I guess. Personally I would rather not see, mounts that are crafted from start to finish (such as carts, floating devices, balloons or steampunk things).

This post was edited by Barin999 at July 20, 2018 1:35 AM PDT
    • 57 posts
    July 20, 2018 1:30 AM PDT

Random thought of crafting a mount wi extra storage space.

• 259 posts
    July 20, 2018 7:18 AM PDT

Back in the day while in the world of Star Wars Galaxy I played a Wookie Scout and built my character tree up to the Creature Handling Skill which allowed me to befriend creatures and use them as pets. I could see this ability meshing with the lore that is Pantheon. It appears it would fit right in with the nature-based classes, Druid, Shaman even Rangers.

As a Beta tester and player, I left along with many others when the CU upgrade was released.

Years later SWG introduced a new Beast Master tree which follows along with exactly what you’re talking about which is growing your own mounts and pets.

As a Beast Master you can collect DNA strands from creatures, and incubate them into Eggs that you can then sell or hatch for yourself. As the Beast Master you have full control over the color and combat skills of the beast during the incubation process (color: dps or armor bonus = temperature slider...skills: quality of components used). After the pet is crafted and hatched some pets have the ability to have their color altered via a beast dye kit. The dye kit is a common item awarded for completion of a repeatable collection (enzyme colors). There is no significant random element to beast crafting. All stats are controllable by the beast crafter. There is a random chance for mutations which can improve combat stats or change the appearance of the creature being incubated.

While this seems like it fits into the Genre of SWG I personally don't feel that this would fit in the Fantasy Genre of Pantheon.

A leatherworking skill to create saddles and saddle blankets of varying colors seems more plausible to me. We may see something along these lines in a crafting profession in Pantheon. We’ll just have to wait and see. :)

• 24 posts
    August 15, 2018 6:28 AM PDT

i could certainly see a druid/ranger having a skill to permanently befriend an animal. i think EQ1 had something similar called Dire Charm or something like that, not super familiar with is because i didn't play those classes. as for mounts, "creation" i think would be just a bad terminology. Taming might be, or would sound, more appropriate. however it would be nice to be able to somewhat customize a mount as stated above to get it to match your armor. perhaps have Armor Specialization blacksmiths be able to craft barding for mounts? i definitely don't see this being a priorty for a long time, but it would be a nice feature in the finished game. as for situations with mounts. 

1: summoned/unsummoned: this would be more of the "WoW approach" where your pet is strictly a visual speed modification with no other real utility purpose, honestly i prefer this method as there is no mount floating around in the world increasing potential server strain or with the ever annoying "can't find (NPC) due to 20 people parking thier mounts on it!"

2: Utility: some people would like to be able to have certain mounts for uses such as storage. i forsee this being a good idea if inventory is an issue and is limited. however; Inventory limitations are usually a restriction on P2W MMOs such as Black Desert Online where you have to buy inventory slots with real money or get 1 more inventory slot each week until you purchased 120+ slots. i fill this is going to roll with more of the original Everquest feel on Backpack Slots with balanced weight limitations, e.g. "you can't waltz around with 100,000,000 platinum and 50,000 dragon scales because you hate banks. as a Con to this system. you will have to be able to interact with your mount in some fashion, making it into a physical NPC of some kind. at which point, could it be targeted and killed? could you forget where you left it after a long night of grinding in an unfamiliar area? if you lost it how could you get it back? and if it has an inventory, how many slots and can these be increased by buying it saddle bags?

3: Combat: if you horse becomes a physical NPC due to the above Utilitary needs of some players, could it be killed by a train of mobs or a roaming npc? could a player flagged in PVP kill your horse because he feels like trolling? if your horse gets attacked, can it defend itself in some degree? i wouldn't allow it to attack on it's own though because then i could see people trying to use it as a pet or some form of combat assistant when solo'ing.

i'm all for the taming of pets for the class. also perhaps have a Trapper specialization for players that have a Vanity Pet obsession to "trap" creatures and sell to other players for their houses? could also have them do other things as a trapper such as make things to affect animals in some fashion. such as making Snares/Traps they could leave out that last a certain amount of time and produce minimal abouts of leather/meat? or perhaps that is how a certain resource is acquired under that specialization?

This post was edited by Snoochy at August 15, 2018 7:04 AM PDT
    • 1315 posts
    August 15, 2018 8:15 AM PDT

What if one of the specializations of Provisoner was Animal Husbandry?  You can raise livestock and harvest them for different resources.  One of the options is capturing, raising and breeding wild beasts to be mounts.  Animal Husbandry would be hard to implement though without a pretty intense and real-estate consuming player housing system.

P.S.  Creature Handler was one of the coolest skills in SWG, a game with lots of cool skills.  My TK Pikeman was always evnious of my roommates Combat medic Creature Handler Smugler.  That being said between the two of us we could do almost anything that a Jedi could.

• 24 posts
    August 15, 2018 8:32 AM PDT

that wouldn't really be an off-branch of provisioning though, since provisions are the suppliers of food and drink, which is why the specializations are Brewer and Chef. however they could have an entire nother craft called a Beast Handling, and have it later Speciallize for Critter Trapping for the collection of vanity, household, or mini-passive buff pets, while the other could be Animal husbandry  and enable the taming of mounts and pets to sell to pet classes, if they don't have thier own means of taming unique pets.

This post was edited by Snoochy at August 15, 2018 8:33 AM PDT
    • 768 posts
    August 15, 2018 10:25 AM PDT

Animal husbandry could be closely linked to the provisioner class. But having it open for all crafters/players to use could fuel the economy. As that if you collect resources from your tamed animal, you can sell it as subcomponent on the market if you can't use it yourself.

It's a feature in several games already and in AoC for example. 

It's not crafting your mount by the definition of crafting, so it could work in a general way for everyone.

• 24 posts
    August 15, 2018 11:06 AM PDT

perhaps have the person that speciallized in taming of animals also be the ones that make the armor to customize them with barding or armor. i feel this source of income would be similar to people who make housing furniture for life.