Forums » The Monk

Monk is not a puller ????

• 16 posts
    June 17, 2018 11:49 AM PDT

So tanks are going to be a pullers?

• 87 posts
    June 17, 2018 3:00 PM PDT

What leads you to that conclusion? They can still FD, they can still split, but they have to be careful which disposition mob they pull.

• 1228 posts
    June 17, 2018 3:38 PM PDT

My main will be a monk so I will testing and provding feedback for sure on anything monk.

• 469 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:37 PM PDT

frank3935 said:

There's no reason a skilled tank can't be a puller. As for monks, we've literally seen them doing the pulling for groups in streams. So not sure where that's coming from.

• 491 posts
    June 19, 2018 6:45 AM PDT

Kratuk said: There's no reason a skilled tank can't be a puller.

Some of this depends on your group makeup. If you have a good offtank and a crowd controller in your group, then often anyone could be the puller since your group will handle splitting things up while they fight them. If on the other hand your group is dps heavier with less classes that can control extra mobs then you'll want to have puller that can manage splitting the targets before they make it to the group. This is where a monk may be handy.

• 1325 posts
    June 19, 2018 11:29 AM PDT

Of course monks will be pullers.  Most difficult mobs can't be CC'd.  Sure in mediocre, exp group type, difficulty lvl encounters anyone can pull but that's not when single pulling matters anyway. 

Was there something I missed in the class releases that makes people think any of the tanks will be able to single pull as well as a monk?

• 1646 posts
    June 27, 2018 4:35 PM PDT

Kratuk said:

frank3935 said:

There's no reason a skilled tank can't be a puller. As for monks, we've literally seen them doing the pulling for groups in streams. So not sure where that's coming from.

There's a huge difference between pulling vs splitting mobs. I used to pull with my wizard when nobody else knew the zone or would take ownership. 

• 42 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:58 PM PDT
    Edict of Stillness

You pacify your enemy’s will for a short time, making them unresponsive to activity happening around them unless directly engaged.

It looks like the cleric gets a pacify ability, which is pretty crucial ability for a puller. Clerics may turn out to be more effective pullers than monks. Everyone loves to talk about FD splitting and we saw it in a couple streams, it's a very slow process due to having to rely on random mob pathing to pull, and I feel some groups members won't have the patience for it.  Also, FD splitting didn't seem to effective in the streams, so I think groups may default towards having strong CC classes over a monk type of puller.  I played a monk in EQ, and i love the pullng part of the game. If they really want to bring back pulling in the game then monks should have that pacify ability. Otherwise, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a monk pulling and no CC class.

• 1627 posts
    July 18, 2018 11:43 PM PDT

Kasekil said:

Edict of Stillness

You pacify your enemy’s will for a short time, making them unresponsive to activity happening around them unless directly engaged.

It looks like the cleric gets a pacify ability, which is pretty crucial ability for a puller. Clerics may turn out to be more effective pullers than monks. Everyone loves to talk about FD splitting and we saw it in a couple streams, it's a very slow process due to having to rely on random mob pathing to pull, and I feel some groups members won't have the patience for it.  Also, FD splitting didn't seem to effective in the streams, so I think groups may default towards having strong CC classes over a monk type of puller.  I played a monk in EQ, and i love the pullng part of the game. If they really want to bring back pulling in the game then monks should have that pacify ability. Otherwise, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a monk pulling and no CC class.

Sure, but have you ever got a resist on a lull in classic EQ ? That's why monks or harmony were so popular, as long as you can break your intent if you get a resist, and stomp your group with unwanted mobs, lull will only be a "last ressort mana saving skill", and not something you use to split unmanageable packs.

• 30 posts
    July 22, 2018 9:13 AM PDT

Kasekil said:

Edict of Stillness

Monks in EQ did not have the pacify ability (maybe this got added much later in EQs's life? If so, it was something they should not have added). I have played both a monk and enchanter extensively in EQ classic. Pacify can be resisted, at which point you get a lot of stuff coming which can ruin your day. Pacify was occasionally used to help break up a very tricky pull (but it was often a last resort because of the resist issue) but you still used your FD class to do the pulls. If the pull went wrong, you FD and let them reset or proceed to start splitting them with sneak. Sneak was highly effective in pulling / splitting and any monk worth their handwraps mastered this technique. If you had an enchanter in the group, the puller would bring a few into camp and have the enchanter mez the extras (provided they could be mez'd.. other wise root parking).  There were so many methods to handle multiple mobs in camp but the main thing was, if you had a monk, you had them pull because of the FD ability. You never sent your cleric (you know, the guy with rez?) out to pull. First, he should be sitting on his ass medding for heals and buffs. Second, if he dies, good luck getting him back to the group which can effectively be shut down or severely limited depending upon what healer classes the rest of the group was. On dicey / bad pulls, we moved the cleric out of view from the camp, ready to camp out if the pull went really bad and we wound up with too many mobs in camp. He could then log in after the wipe to rez.

So there are many, many reasons you use a monk for pulls and NOT your cleric. No FD puller meant the group had to plan on how to handle multiple mobs and it required some sharp players who knew their classes well and could use them beyond the basics (root parks, necro heals, etc). I sometimes pulled on my enchanter and it worked incredibly well. Tash pull, party engages. Run off and get next mob and mez at camp. Slow, re-mez / memwipe, run off and get another.. 

• 686 posts
    July 22, 2018 7:36 PM PDT

It looks like the tanks will have some minor CC but likely wont be roaming dungeons looking for enemies to "pull" back to where camp is set up.  It also looks as though all three of the melee DPS roles will be viable pullers so that you don't have to rely on a single class mechanic (FD split pulling).  The rogue, monk and ranger seem to all have abilities that can be used to split groups of enemies effectively, while the tanks will be able to CC in the absence of enchanter/bard (albiet likely poor CC in comparison).  Ranger and Rogue can incapacitate targets for 24-30 seconds, and tanks will be able to CC one enemy and tank another from the descriptions given to us... I would have to think that with root in there too that you wouldn't have to absolutely need a monk or AoE mez to pull groups of 3-4 mobs with relative ease if everyone is working together.  As long as you have a tank, healer and at least 1 melee DPS in your group you should be ok for small content assuming we test the balancing well enough next year :)

Of course you wont always need the quarintiy or holy trinity but it will be a nice mix of classes I think.

This post was edited by Darch at July 22, 2018 7:52 PM PDT
    • 40 posts
    December 2, 2018 12:29 AM PST

The best puller in EQ was a Tank :P well sorta, if you classify a Shadowknight as a tank I suppose. lol good offtank I guess :P.

Cascading Darkness Line and FD was a powerful pulling combo.

So not much has changed.

• 52 posts
    September 29, 2019 7:50 AM PDT

I'd be kind of happy being a straight DPS class, now that I'm older I'm ok if I don't have to pull all the time!

• 686 posts
    September 29, 2019 4:46 PM PDT

I'm not playing the monk literally because I'm tired of being the puller.  I would absolutely play the monk otherwise.  The rest of the party sits around having time to socialize and joke around while waiting for the puller do the bulk of the work of splitting/breaking camps - no thanks.