Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Daybreak games layoffs

• 24 posts
    April 26, 2018 12:51 PM PDT

Any chance of grabbing up some talent as Daybreak lays off people in the San Diego area?

• 769 posts
    April 26, 2018 12:52 PM PDT

Post to be moved in 5....... 4...... 3 ..... 2 .....

• 613 posts
    April 26, 2018 1:15 PM PDT

Looks major too.  

• 162 posts
    April 26, 2018 1:40 PM PDT

You want them to hire someone from DBG? I wouldn't want that, DBG had the worst customer service ever. Pass... that is unless Vr can fix them, oh and might I add they weir CS was pretty stupid, told me I had to call a different number because I wasn't in the united states, i told them I lived in Texas and they said ok, let me find the number for CS in that country...

• 19 posts
    April 26, 2018 1:48 PM PDT

You want them to hire people who have been driving Everquest downhill for over a decade?  I don't think these people fit in with the "Vision" type they want.

• 1404 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:01 PM PDT

That was my initial thought as well "OMG  Don't Hire Someone from DBG" 

But thats not right.  The people are not the company, I'm sure there are or could be many talented people coming out of there. VR would just need to sort through them. 

Go for the talent if you need it. But "OMG Don't aquire DBG's Customer service or Business model"

I always felt sorry for talented developers at DBG that while wanting and wishing they could make "Fun" were forced to create FTP hacks to try to pay for the game.

Like Rembrandt painting houses for a living.

• 18 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:40 PM PDT

Dubah said:

You want them to hire someone from DBG? I wouldn't want that, DBG had the worst customer service ever. Pass... that is unless Vr can fix them, oh and might I add they weir CS was pretty stupid, told me I had to call a different number because I wasn't in the united states, i told them I lived in Texas and they said ok, let me find the number for CS in that country...

Lol, There CS was horrid last time I needed help.  This made me laugh so hard, thanks!

• 769 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:42 PM PDT

Dubah said:

To be fair, as someone who grew up in Texas, it IS as big as a whole lotta countries out there...

• 2 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:47 PM PDT

Any chance of grabbing the Everquest name cheap and calling Pantheon Everquest 3, since that's sorta kinda what it is?

• 1714 posts
    April 26, 2018 3:15 PM PDT

Dubah said:

Because developers, server admins, artists and project managers answer customer service requests? Really?

• 3016 posts
    April 26, 2018 3:26 PM PDT

Jaced said:

Any chance of grabbing up some talent as Daybreak lays off people in the San Diego area?

Good Lord NO.

• 3016 posts
    April 26, 2018 3:27 PM PDT

emamid said:

Any chance of grabbing the Everquest name cheap and calling Pantheon Everquest 3, since that's sorta kinda what it is?

Pantheon is Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen...not a clone of EQ as the Devs have stated a few times.

• 3016 posts
    April 26, 2018 3:28 PM PDT

And I have a hunch this thread belongs in Off-topic :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at April 26, 2018 3:29 PM PDT
    • 84 posts
    April 26, 2018 3:45 PM PDT

Would much prefer to see Everquest run by a company other than Daybreak Games.

• 470 posts
    April 26, 2018 4:35 PM PDT

Snozzberry said:

You want them to hire people who have been driving Everquest downhill for over a decade?  I don't think these people fit in with the "Vision" type they want.

To be fair, the captain drives the ship, the crew just gets it to the destination. There are some talented developers at Daybreak but like all jobs they have to do what the boss says. So you can't hold the devs responsible for decisions made by the higher ups. 

I think there are quite a few that could be great additions to the team. There's a different captain driving this ship.

• 115 posts
    April 26, 2018 4:55 PM PDT

Trustar said:

Dey... Break... Games

• 3852 posts
    April 26, 2018 7:59 PM PDT

Lay-offs aren't exactly a *good* sign for Daybreak especially occuring at the same time as the Russia-related mess though the lay-offs quite possibly are unrelated. But it is probably a great overreaction to read the demise of the company from them firing maybe 80 people. I don't know what percentage this is but Daybreak is fairly large.

People are available, yes. But people are usually available and Daybreak probably fired the ones they thought were their worst not their best. Of course, given their proven judgment, that may be a sign the people are their best.

Even if Daybreak folded tomorrow they would probably just sell their games - at least most of them - and the intellectual property that went with them. Not that I want to play EQ3 I want to play *Pantheon*.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 26, 2018 8:01 PM PDT
    • 644 posts
    April 27, 2018 5:33 AM PDT

I was super ultra active in EQ. I was a raid officer for the (I think) highest population family guild in EQ (990 memebrs with alts). I was the first class correspondent for Enchanters. I was in beta for EQ3 and LM. I had four accounts and played since 1999.

I was playing on a prog server and there was a plat dupe exploit.  They were trying to figure it out.  I figured it out with an accidental sequence of events and reported it.   They did not respond nor stop it.  I posted what it was and to insist they get it fixed.

I got forum banned for plat duping and for instructing people how to dupe.   To this day, that account is banned and I've appealed repeatedly for years.

I was in LM beta (I studied graduate level 3D CAD modeling mathematics for software engineering) and found an error in their modeling algorithm.  I reported it and nothing.  I posted it and nothing, I posted about it explaining how it was wrong and messing the game up.

I got a snarky reply basically about how I'm bad mouthing them.

Oh, they cancelled LM and EQ3 and what I discovered was (I think) a part of this.  They created their own 3D engine, which had an error and it didn't work properly and they were too far down the path to fix that.

So, EQ was an increble life for me, especially for five solid years.  I was their most loyal supporter.  They treated me like crap and I was right about everything. 

The treatement I got was directly due to the toxic culture of hating customers and hating everything about this genre.  It was clear.   Regardless how talented and brilliant these folks are, that pervasive culture of hatred was so toxic and infectious I can see nothing but misery coming from opening the door to any of them.  It's like bringing someone from a plague riddled city into your country - you're just asking to get infected with their disease.

This post was edited by fazool at April 27, 2018 5:35 AM PDT
    • 138 posts
    April 27, 2018 10:00 AM PDT

I doubt they have very many dev's that are specialized in Unity 5 seeing as though they are working on a 19 year-old game. I also read an article on MMORPG that DBG is in talks with Ashes of Creation about getting involved in that project. Seems like things are being shaken up over there these days. 

• 470 posts
    April 28, 2018 12:03 AM PDT

Disregard. This whole fiasco has  my head hurting.

This post was edited by Kratuk at April 28, 2018 2:47 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    April 28, 2018 7:44 AM PDT

((creates a healer class and casts cure headache - Kratuk's headache will almost surely successfully resist but one does what one can))

This post was edited by dorotea at April 28, 2018 7:44 AM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    May 10, 2018 9:57 PM PDT

Bonechip said:

Trustar said:

Dey... Break... Games

Thats kind of clever lol