Forums » The Enchanter

How can items improve a support class?

• 59 posts
    March 24, 2018 9:35 AM PDT

When doing XP groups in EQ you could always see the difference between good geared DPS classes / tanks / and bad ones. With Enchanters or Bards ...there was nearly no difference. They cast their support spells / abilities/ mezzes and they stay the same no matter if they have BIS in slot.

What can be done to make gear matter for support classes? And im not talking about more Mana so you can cast 1 more mez or something. 

Is it just : Item A makes your mez last 5 seconds longer? Item B makes your Haste spell be 22% instead of 20%?

• 35 posts
    March 24, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

Thats a great point, seems like basic stats wont help much for the "CC" element of the class. Most games would introduce those ability enhancing effects such as "longer mez times" as part of a set bonus albiet end game gear. Thou just beacuse someone is a CC or Healer class doesnt mean you cant dps. Im a big fan of final fantasy 14 in how they made healers have to balence dps and heals in order for their group to clear raid content.

• 4336 posts
    March 26, 2018 5:20 AM PDT

Well besides the obvious "all classes need HP", since there's no need to make it exactly like EQ, they could make it so that the effectiveness of your spells is partially based on a stat. For example, higher Charisma could make your Mez harder to resist. There would of course be other factors involved, but I think it makes a lot of sense to make caster stats more useful. I think there has been some talk about making melee abilities partially dependent on your Strength score - might as well apply to same principles to spell abilities. Not even necessarily more damage or longer durations if that would be too OP - just making them harder to resist (or fizzle less often) would give the stat more value.

• 705 posts
    March 26, 2018 7:02 AM PDT

I think it would be fair to see items that give spell haste (cast speed) and maybe spell focus (spell duration) later in the game. 

But as far as "cool" items for casters I think a great effect that an item could give to a caster would be something like slippers of meditation that after not moving or casting for x seconds gave the caster levitate and triggered mana regen as if meditating but would be canceled with any movement, action or damage taken.  The time of not moving or taking damage could be equivalent to the time it takes to sit, but this would negate the threat from sitting as well as negate the silly button spamming of stand, cast, sit, stand, cast, sit, stand, cast, sit, stand, cast,.... (you get it).  People can meditate without having to sit on a cold, damp cave floor or on the snow of a frozen lake.  An item like that would be highly sought after.  

• 26 posts
    March 26, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

I appreciate the idea behind your question. However, when it comes to crowd control skill will always play a larger part than equipment. That is simply not always the case with tanks and rarely the case with dps. Having a BiS dagger will always out dps someone that has mediocre gear. A tank that has BiS gear will always be easier to heal and hold agro better. That is the nature of what they do. They are not spell casters and gear plays into that.

Not saying focus effects, etc would not make our life a little easier, but as spell casters it is our spells that define us and not what we are wearing. They have said that there will be spells that have to be farmed/quested for, so you could look at those as potentially being BiS(pellbook).

• 67 posts
    March 26, 2018 1:05 PM PDT

Remember, the enchanter is more then just CC. The CohhCarnage strem mentioned that Enchanters have a nuke line that gives extra mana to the entire party. I'm not sure how itemization is going to work in this game either, but I would imagine that any gear that benefits a Wizard would be equally useful to Enchanters, if only for their less CC-oriented abilities. Simply having resists and duration tied to a stat, however, would be reason enough to gear an enchanter.

• 15 posts
    March 31, 2018 9:31 AM PDT

The problem with EQ is that CHA didn't seem to have a large effect on how anything worked, or it was overwhelmed by RNG that no one would agree what spells it was important for and which it wasn't.  Also CHA wasn't very hard to raise, so people capped the stat fairly easily and saw that not much changed afterwards.

I was in a DKP raid guild and the enchanters always had the most DKP saved up, because they rarely needed loot.  We even practiced pure-DKP, nothing was reserved for specific classes, and this occurred.  So yeah, it did seem like they were a player-skill driven class, character gear didn't matter.  Which isn't really a bad thing, imo.

Once thing EQ did fairly well is make high-end spells the equivilent of caster gear.  So if you had all the spells your level could memorize, you were effectively well-geared.  I'd love to see that mechanic come back and be even more important, sounds like they're learning that way from what I saw on the recent stream, for all classes, really.

• 131 posts
    June 9, 2018 3:00 PM PDT

one easy way to make gear important is to have set gear, ala diablo. If you have a full set then you could get a good sized bump into one of your buffs/debuffs.

• 1660 posts
    June 9, 2018 4:13 PM PDT

randomrob82 said:

one easy way to make gear important is to have set gear, ala diablo. If you have a full set then you could get a good sized bump into one of your buffs/debuffs.

They said there won't be set, so ...

My guess is that gear could affect resist chance, mana preservation and control duration. Anyway since the enchanter's nuke will restore party member's mana, having more mana dedicated into it would increase the group overall mana efficiency.

• 1660 posts
    June 10, 2018 11:51 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

randomrob82 said:

They said there won't be set, so ...

My guess is that gear could affect resist chance, mana preservation and control duration. Anyway since the enchanter's nuke will restore party member's mana, having more mana dedicated into it would increase the group overall mana efficiency.

Extending my thought, the duration of a mezz could be tied to damage statistics and depending of the Health of the target, making it scale positively with gear, and negatively with mob difficulty. That way, gear would improve the free time of the enchanter, partialy solving the binary spell issue.

On the same scale, thoses damage stats could improve the mana return on their nuke, making best geared enchanter giving back more mana.

Both thoses calculation would solve the issue of enchanter needing no gear, as their gear would improve their remaining casting time, and increase their group utility beyong controlling.

• 16 posts
    January 29, 2019 1:18 PM PST

Seems the way they are handling this is that a % of attributes help a certain ability out.  So this will add to the scalability of support classes.