Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Woodcutting ?

• 338 posts
    January 18, 2018 4:21 AM PST

Woodcutting

Aspiring lumberjacks will need to find an axe suitable for woodcutting and some harvestable stumps, wood piles, or trees.

Not all trees will be choppable though, we don't want to find barren wastelands filled with nothing but stumps!

Harvestable woodcutting targets will be found throughout Pantheon based on where they make sense ecologically, with some exceptions made for NPC groups that may be trading or cultivating specific lumber types.

In the early skill ranges woodcutters will find themselves interacting with basic wood types like oak, pine, poplar, and ash.

More experienced woodcutters will have opportunities to harvest rare and zone specific woods like Mirrawood, Swampwillow, and Candlewood.

In addition to lumber, saps and barks will sometimes appear in woodcutting yields.

The primary use for woodcutting rewards is in crafting recipes for Woodworkers, with some overlap for Alchemists, Scribes, and Provisioners.

My question is will trees fall over when you chop them and if you are standing under where they fall will you take damage depending on the size of the tree ?

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

• 105 posts
    January 18, 2018 4:30 AM PST

They said in the newsletter that harvesting skills other than a basic version of fishing have not yet been implemented so I guess no-one knows!

I doubt it though...

• 793 posts
    January 18, 2018 4:39 AM PST

The tree falling would be nice, Landmark did it, and then a few seconds after it hit the ground it would slide underground and out of view.

Not sure I'd care for the tree damage part though :) 

// You took 156 damage from a tree falling cut down by Angrykiz....You have died.

• 1785 posts
    January 18, 2018 7:23 AM PST

Vanguard did tree falling (complete with the creaking-crashing sound) for it's woodcutting, so I would hope that we could do something like that here in Pantheon as well.  It would seem to be technically possible at any rate :)

Tree damage might get to be a bit.... thorny.  So maybe we should avoid that :)

• 3852 posts
    January 18, 2018 7:29 AM PST

Be wary of trees. As has often been stated .....their bark is worse than their bite. Awful splinters!

• 172 posts
    January 18, 2018 7:41 AM PST
    They mention a big focus of the 'environment' in pantheon and what that means. Maybe falling trees could damage players and/or mobs.

Hey guys root that mob! I'm gonna chop a tree down on to it! Nothing too damaging to turn it in to get 15 mobs under a tree and chop it down and kill them all with it.. but a fun mechanic maybe if youre casters are out of mana and you can root something and still do damage with the environment and not take damage while casters/healers med.

• 1315 posts
    January 18, 2018 7:45 AM PST

Extra points if treants and dryads start spawning if you cut down too many trees in one area.  The more trees that have been cut down the higher level of mob that spawns.  If you really piss them off a full raid spawns with a raid boss that begins killing everything in sight.

"In Mother Terminus, trees harvest you!!"

This post was edited by Trasak at January 18, 2018 7:47 AM PST
    • 1479 posts
    January 18, 2018 7:47 AM PST

Tree damage would be fun but open some room for griefing. I remember in wow at some point the hunter's snake trap could be triggered to make the snakes attack an opposite faction Player withouth him having turned on pvp, makinh it hell for low level characters you could kill while they were adventuring.

However, the tree fall trap should be a thing in pvp.

• 557 posts
    January 18, 2018 9:35 AM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

Tree damage would be fun but open some room for griefing.

Umm, if you're dumb enough to stand beside someone chopping down a tree, maybe you deserve another hit on the head.  It's going to take time to cut a tree and I'm sure there will be a chopping animation and associated sound.  It's not like the roadrunner has dropped a safe on the coyote out of thin air.

I liked how EQN Landmark handled their tree felling animation and respawns.  Having dropped more than a few trees in my younger days, I thought it was as realistic as one could expect in-game.   They also had a reasonable balance for the time sink for each tree chopped.   Their gathering animation though was horribly wonky, the way the resources floated towards you.

• 1095 posts
    January 18, 2018 12:29 PM PST

or they can do it like Minecraft and leave it floating in the air lol

• 105 posts
    January 18, 2018 12:30 PM PST

Angrykiz said:

Woodcutting

My question is will trees fall over when you chop them and if you are standing under where they fall will you take damage depending on the size of the tree ?

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

Falling trees would be great if it doesn't cause too many issues with performance, and we can get some decent audio & visuals to accompany it. I think it all comes down to what we can accomplish within scope of our resources. If we can't get chopping full blown trees down, there'll at least be stumps and woodpiles to chop up.

Friendly fire for falling trees isn't likely to occur. Maybe that could be part of an alternate rules server one day, though -- who knows?

• 557 posts
    January 19, 2018 10:13 AM PST

Ceythos said:

If we can't get chopping full blown trees down, there'll at least be stumps and woodpiles to chop up.

Stealing from someone else's woodpile seems like a major violation of lumberjack etiquette.  We all know how lumberjacks are such sticklers on etiquette.

This post was edited by Celandor at January 19, 2018 10:13 AM PST
    • 105 posts
    January 19, 2018 12:43 PM PST

Celandor said:

Ceythos said:

If we can't get chopping full blown trees down, there'll at least be stumps and woodpiles to chop up.

Stealing from someone else's woodpile seems like a major violation of lumberjack etiquette.  We all know how lumberjacks are such sticklers on etiquette.

They also like to put on women's clothing and hang around in bars... But I suppose they can do that on an RP server...

• 18 posts
    January 19, 2018 2:15 PM PST

Kipling said:

They also like to put on women's clothing and hang around in bars... But I suppose they can do that on an RP server...

But that's ok......