Forums » Pantheon Classes

Class roles

• 107 posts
    December 28, 2017 11:41 AM PST

When you read about the cleric, rogue, and shaman on the site it lists them as healer,support / melee dps,support / and healer,support. What do the commas mean? Will everything essentially be a sort of hybrid? Will all of the classes have a main and a secondary role? It would definately solve the whole stupid hybrid tax debate (likely not really). Or will some be a role of dps only?

If everything gets the hybridish treatment will some of them be really weird? Like maybe a druid is a primary healer but it's secondary is actually dps. Or a Paladin is a Tank primary and a secondary healer so his dps or support ways are very weak (obviously you would need to add some sort of artificial way beyond damage for aggro). Maybe a monk could be a primary melee DPS but also a secondary tank. Or it just doesn't work this way and I'm reading it all wrong. Is this the intent?

• 2752 posts
    December 28, 2017 3:37 PM PST

I believe most of the classes are going to have primary/secondary and sometimes tertiary roles. Primary being their main focus and role they excel in, secondary being a role they can fill in limited capacity, and tertiary being less of a main role and more small things that fall between the cracks of the quaternity like "puller." 

• 107 posts
    December 28, 2017 5:00 PM PST

Wow I really like that. So do you think the secondary role will require different types of armor/gear to be effective at it? For example if a Paladin is a Tank,Healer role would they have to switch gear to fulfill the role of healer of the group albeit a weaker healer than a cleric shaman or druid? Or do you think it means they are ok at it in their tank gear just not good enough to take over for an actual healer?

• 624 posts
    December 29, 2017 11:18 AM PST

Probably the latter. Unlikely that armor or gear would need to change when shifting to secondary role - unless you include bards switching instruments

• 43 posts
    December 29, 2017 1:59 PM PST

Kumu said:

Probably the latter. Unlikely that armor or gear would need to change when shifting to secondary role - unless you include bards switching instruments

This.

Secondary will likely be just that; not primary.  Meaning the Paladin in the example could toss out a couple (or few) quick heals to keep the group alive until the cleric/shaman can shake the mez they're under.  Then they can go back to being the rogue's meat-shield.  >=)

• 945 posts
    January 4, 2018 7:10 AM PST

I'd really like to see the class roles listed on the main page.  It has only been the Shaman, Cleric and Rogue for over a year now.  It's a bit concerning that the roles haven't been even listed yet under the "learn more". 

• 1479 posts
    January 4, 2018 12:57 PM PST

I also think hybrids were only a term you would use in a situation where "pure classes" were almost only passive abilities (Warrior, rogue, monk) where hybrids were shards of thoses classes with spells from others.

In pantheon, it seems everyone will have either spells, skills, or maybe even both. Possibly, instead of beeing inspired by D&D (where rangers, paladins and evil knights are lesser warriors with low tier druid or cleric spells), they will simply have their own set of spells balanced around the whole utility of the class itself.

Hybrids in that sense, is a word empty of meaning.

However I really liked that as a ranger you had "low level druids spells". Sometimes they were underwhelming, but the connection between rangers and druids, or paladins and clerics, or SK and necromancers, felt really existing. (Even if SK were an unholy themed knight using magical themed spells). I fear that this connection will vanish somehow.