Forums » Crafting and Gathering

The scrounger

• 174 posts
    December 4, 2017 2:54 PM PST

Apparently I'm bored today. I've thought it would be nice to have a profession whose aim is to acquire items. This person would spend a majority of their time harvesting, or obtaining items to be used in crafting. A sort of master harvester. This person would excel at camouflage, sneak, perception, whatever it takes to explore and harvest, at the expense of battle. Run speed would help. Armor would be non existent, as would weapons, as they would only hinder you in your efforts to harvest, unseen by the baddies you might encounter while out harvesting. Should this class exist? Would it be a stand alone class or merely a specialization option to other harvesting classes.

The scrounger would level up skills like "throw voice" to misdirect mobs away from a desired resource, "hold breath" to stay underwater longer. "run like the wind" when detected and forced to flee. Thoughts?

• 1785 posts
    December 4, 2017 5:47 PM PST

So, to start off with I'm a fan of the VG approach where harvesting a third "sphere" from adventuring and crafting and has its own progression, skills, and equipment.

That said, I could see foraging/scrounging as a potential harvesting profession - along with logging, mining, skinning/trapping, fishing, gardening, and so on :)

• 1468 posts
    December 5, 2017 3:23 AM PST

Nephele said:

So, to start off with I'm a fan of the VG approach where harvesting a third "sphere" from adventuring and crafting and has its own progression, skills, and equipment.

That said, I could see foraging/scrounging as a potential harvesting profession - along with logging, mining, skinning/trapping, fishing, gardening, and so on :)

I also liked the Vanguard system. The idea of having different equipment depending on which sphere you were using was really cool. Plus it meant that if you were a high level crafter or harvester but a low level adventurer you were still useful.

Having said that I do like the idea of being sneaky and using stealth to avoid enemies to get what you want. That could be brought into the Vanguard system quite nicely perhaps with a focus on stealing treasure from enemy camps while their back was turned so a crafter could make some racial items for races that players couldn't play (for example Kobalds in EQ).

• 105 posts
    December 18, 2017 1:20 PM PST

Nephele said:

I really loved that, too. If we can fit something like that into the scope of Harvesting, I'd like to try to make something similar happen for Pantheon.

Nephele said:

We'll have something in the form of this by way of our Salvaging skill.

One part of it is breaking down existing items to receive components or raw materials back that went into "making" the item. The goal is that every equippable item, whether it's player made or NPC dropped, essentially has a list of what constitutes that item. Ex; a longsword may be made of a blade, a hilt, a pommel, and possibly some ornamentation. So, if you kill the brigand leader and he drops a sweet ornate iron longsword, you could take it back to a forge to Salvage it. Depending on your skill and success, you might receive back a blade, a hilt, a pommel, any ornaments that went into making it, and/or you might receive some iron ore, bits of leather (from the hilt wraps), a cut gem (ornamentation), etc.

Another part of a Salvaging skill is that you may find piles to dig through and retrieve materials, crafting components, and maybe even a few unique surprises. An example might be that you've come upon a Ratkin or Goblin encampment and they've built up filthy little hoards of things they've collected. You could use your Salvaging skill to dig through and find something useful.

• 105 posts
    December 18, 2017 1:28 PM PST

Chimerical said:

Apparently I'm bored today. I've thought it would be nice to have a profession whose aim is to acquire items. This person would spend a majority of their time harvesting, or obtaining items to be used in crafting. A sort of master harvester. This person would excel at camouflage, sneak, perception, whatever it takes to explore and harvest, at the expense of battle. Run speed would help. Armor would be non existent, as would weapons, as they would only hinder you in your efforts to harvest, unseen by the baddies you might encounter while out harvesting. Should this class exist? Would it be a stand alone class or merely a specialization option to other harvesting classes.

The scrounger would level up skills like "throw voice" to misdirect mobs away from a desired resource, "hold breath" to stay underwater longer. "run like the wind" when detected and forced to flee. Thoughts?

Thanks for this, it's some interesting thoughts on how Harvesting and adventuring could intersect. Salvaging would be the closest Harvesting skill we're currently planning to explore that's in line with this. You'll have opportunities to rife through enemy supplies, treasure troves, various types of wreckage, etc.

• 3852 posts
    December 19, 2017 9:09 AM PST

Vanguard had a wonderful harvesting system. Just the harvesting gear alone, not to mention the chance to harvest more by grouping. And rares and ultrarares were a nice incentive to harvest - one could craft decent things or get decent rewards from those, as distinct from just selling 100 pieces of low level materials.

This post was edited by dorotea at December 19, 2017 9:16 AM PST
    • 557 posts
    December 19, 2017 9:18 AM PST

Ceythos said:

You'll have opportunities to rife through enemy supplies, treasure troves, various types of wreckage, etc.

This is WAY more than I was expecting for launch.  I figured you'd just be able to deconstruct looted or crafted items.

That sounds like a TON of fun.   Going through orc dumpsters may be my new hobby.