Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Washing

• 334 posts
    November 5, 2017 7:54 AM PST

Reading the new immersive threads made me think of another possible avenue...

Washing

I suppose you need a washing of attire after a long adventurous haul. Washing at streams or at housing\city. Grey\brown scaling on character clothing based on terrain, mobs, character abilities (rogue night dye and ranger camouflage) or just duration in the field.

Then other aspects of the game could do with a washing. In a purify mechanic, scrubbing off (items with multiple color\graphics layering(paint?)). That would sure be a tattoo alternative (braveheart anyone?) You could, as guild/group express certain logo\banner\heraldic crests. Or would make a shield shine a mile away (though mobs could notice too?, lol)

• 174 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:27 AM PST

I think I'd limit washing to observing the occasional npc going about their daily work, using washboards, perhaps hanging laundry on a line. Many folks are against armor repair (including Brad) I can't see much enthusiasm for doing laundry...

• 234 posts
    November 5, 2017 11:16 AM PST

Maybe you take a faction hit if you smell too bad after a long adventure. 

Suddenly your KoS at home cause you didn't take a bath :P

• 334 posts
    November 5, 2017 12:32 PM PST

"smell bad", that crossed my mind, but I already got "Scratch & Sniff cards" dealt by Calendor, so I let that one out, lol

• 1120 posts
    November 5, 2017 1:47 PM PST

azaya said:

noone is going to kill you because you smell bad

• 1785 posts
    November 5, 2017 9:36 PM PST

Porygon said:

azaya said:

noone is going to kill you because you smell bad

I think that entirely depends on which bars you frequent ;)

• 690 posts
    November 5, 2017 11:35 PM PST

Rydan said:

Reading the new immersive threads made me think of another possible avenue...

Washing

I suppose you need a washing of attire after a long adventurous haul. Washing at streams or at housing\city. Grey\brown scaling on character clothing based on terrain, mobs, character abilities (rogue night dye and ranger camouflage) or just duration in the field.

Then other aspects of the game could do with a washing. In a purify mechanic, scrubbing off (items with multiple color\graphics layering(paint?)). That would sure be a tattoo alternative (braveheart anyone?) You could, as guild/group express certain logo\banner\heraldic crests. Or would make a shield shine a mile away (though mobs could notice too?, lol)

I wouldn't want it alone, but coupling washing with painting/camoflauging armor might be interesting, especially if the camo actually effected stealthiness for all classes.

• 98 posts
    November 5, 2017 11:46 PM PST

I think washing should be optional, but if you go too long without it the game will make green malodorous smoke start coming from your armpits/boots and NPCs will cringe away from you.

• 2886 posts
    November 6, 2017 8:21 AM PST

There has to be a line somewhere. I of course live for immersion just like everyone else, but the meaning is sometimes misapplied. Making everything just like real life does not equal immersion. In fact, there is a reason why people play games as opposed to just going about their real lives and that is because virtual worlds are not (and should not) be exactly like the real world. We play to escape the mundane. It is freedom from having to worry about doing chores and such. A mechanic should only be added to the game if it actually adds something to the depth and strategy of gameplay. Chores like washing, or exercising, or using the bathroom do not make the game more difficult or rewarding. If too many things like that are required, it would get annoying really quickly. The real fun is the fighting, exploring, etc. Anything that keeps you from doing more of that should not feel tedious.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 6, 2017 8:23 AM PST
    • 334 posts
    November 6, 2017 8:39 AM PST

Bazgrim said:
    A mechanic should only be added to the game if it actually adds something to the depth and strategy of gameplay.

Exactly. I was trying to point out the posibilities with the concept, not to implicate real life necessities or burdens.

• 3 posts
    November 8, 2017 7:38 AM PST

This seems intriquing but if it could be paired with something else it might be better. Also requiring people to wash might frustrate a number of individuals. If it's considered something extra that's a slight money sink but could give you temporary buffs that boost charsima/likability by merchants, potential confidence in combat etc that seems kind of fascinating.

Working camoflague in with the same skill via harvesting clays with different colors perhaps and then refining them into powders/paints that could be used to make invisibly pots for people or something else seems cool. You need to give it meaning and allow for it to be done.  If you make it something that just isn't fun and really annoying people aren't going to want to deal with it. However, if you can give it some lore, gameplay and other incentive I think it has a myriad of possiblities.

• 19 posts
    November 12, 2017 10:06 AM PST

Online chore simulator 2018!

I think washing could be a part of the crafting process, like there are certain raw materials that when washed in certain waters gain magical properties or yeild more when combined.

• 2419 posts
    November 12, 2017 12:18 PM PST

If all these ideas people keep posting about how this activity or that activity should be included because of realism/immersion or whatever were actually introduced you would have no time to do anything but all these innane chores every day.  After waking up each game morning (because your character has to sleep every game night), you'd have to bathe, then go find a meal, then change into your armor, then go get your horse from the stable, then you can finally go out and adventure..but you find you need to stop every few in-game hours to answer the call of nature, then eat/drink some more..all before you actually get to a dungeon.  Sounds like fun?  Really?

Now, because this is a crafting thread, having washing be part of the crafting process makes absolute sense.  Processes like washing, sanding, polishing, annealing, tempering all can be methods used to improve the chances a crafted item is of a better quality than 'default', if we see such things like we had in EQ2 crafting.

This post was edited by Vandraad at November 12, 2017 12:23 PM PST
    • 77 posts
    November 14, 2017 8:50 AM PST

bunch of stinks going to be running around.

• 3016 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:44 PM PST

azaya said:

Faction hit from killing skunks, then you need to take a tomato bath. :P  Merchants refuse to sell to you until you are no longer "skunked"   hehehe  (and I am kidding..not a wish of mine.)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 15, 2017 12:45 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:47 PM PST

Rydan said:

Bazgrim said:
    A mechanic should only be added to the game if it actually adds something to the depth and strategy of gameplay.

Exactly. I was trying to point out the posibilities with the concept, not to implicate real life necessities or burdens.

I do enough laundry at home..never considered it "fun" :P   So yes if the mechanic makes sense, serves a real purpose ingame,  implement it..otherwise anything else can be achieved by "roleplaying".  :)  

• 1785 posts
    November 15, 2017 2:31 PM PST

Can I take this discussion a different way?

What if it's not "washing", but "maintenance"?

A lot of games introduce the idea of equipment condition as a money sink - you know, you go out and fight, take a bunch of damage, and then have to shell out some coins to an NPC to repair that equipment back up to 100%.  If you let it go all the way to zero, you lose the effect of the equipment (it's broken) until you get it repaired.

I understand why they do that but the idea of equipment wear feels wasted as a straight money sink.  What if, instead:

- Items you wear/use would lose "condition" over time.

- You could visit NPCs to repair those items for a fee; OR

- Crafters could repair items very cheaply (in terms of material costs) through some kind of trade-like interface ("hey, can you sharpen my sword for me?"); OR

- Crafters could (slightly more expensively) produce portable repair kits that people could use to restore lost condition.

As far as cosmetics go, I know the unity engine is capable of a lot, but swapping out armor textures on the fly to respresent damage or degradation to equipment might be a bit much from a technical perspective.  However, what if:

- Crafters could recolor items through some kind of trade-like interface.  So, if you wanted that green cloak to be a red cloak, you could go visit a crafter, and that crafter could dye it red for you?

Just some thoughts.

• 334 posts
    November 15, 2017 6:22 PM PST

Nephele said:
    However, what if:
    - Crafters could recolor items through some kind of trade-like interface.  So, if you wanted that green cloak to be a red cloak, you could go visit a crafter, and that crafter could dye it red for you?

From a zone element and city point of view... you then could add old style dye baths:
    We filth ourselfes with:
    http://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/08/the-leather-tanneries-of-fez-morocco.html
    Devs
    amuse themselves with:
    http://dyes-pigments.standardcon.com/dye-bath.html

• 9 posts
    November 17, 2017 2:41 PM PST

Maybe it could be coupled with a maintaing gear/repair gear type function.  Possibly tied to certain factions (noble vs commoner).  I personally don't like the idea of having a washing impact on my gameplay but could see how it would realistically impact faction.  Let's face it, when this game comes out I'll probably be rooted to my pc anyway for days and will loose faction with family members.  :D