Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mounts and Travel

• 3852 posts
    January 14, 2020 11:55 AM PST

Yet it is well known that worm-hole travel can cover enormous distances.

• 1428 posts
    January 14, 2020 12:38 PM PST

Jothany said:

stellarmind said:

the thumper if i remember was for intercontinental travel

The thumper was merely a tool for summoning Shai-Hulud, regardless of your intended destination.

oohh i got it mixed up with a post we have about a giant plant monster that could be used for travel.  it would eat you and spit you out like a canon ball XD

man i don't remember https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Thumper this.  might have to go back and read dune again >.>

wait i kinda remember now.  it was when paul and that girl hooked up already and.. geez it's too vague a memory i gotta go back and look into it.

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at January 14, 2020 12:40 PM PST
    • 2138 posts
    January 14, 2020 2:37 PM PST

nononononono nothing to do with the chick and hooking up 8sigh* ok ill say it

IF- this desert in terminus were to be Dune related with giant wurms and worm riding and worm sign anf fremen. Well, in order to walk without rythym in terminus, I say make the mechanic based on intoxication, have to be drunk and stumble across, nice nod to F. herbert and only the fans will get it and spread it on- neat.

Thumper to call Shai Halud to ride. thumper- lots of disney fans out there, rabbit. want to ride? need to sacrifice a rabbit. tether a rabbit and it thumps (like thumper!) but omgosh! the wurm comes and eats the rabbit because its making regular rythmic beats with its thumops, but you have your wurm.....

That needs- climbing skill to get on the Sand Worm to ride its behemothness- another Terminus skill as highlighted in last stream, disney fans and Dune fans are living this nice merger of memes in Terminus.

How does one get the skill? perhaps through factioning in the desert region with the gypsies who have startling blue eyes (like fremen in dune for the fans) whats the catch? the desert atmosphere- and atmospheres are a terminus thing. What is hindering you in the atmosphere?

in this case it's a twist, as you cannot acclimate-well to the heat yes, but in this case its different because you need to be drunk to cross to make sure your steps are not regular when you walk or run, but you stagger so, when you drink, you dehydrate- effectively creating an atmopshere for YOURSELF- oh those clever devs! But the higher alchohol tolerance you have, the worse it is because you wont stagger. Bards are useless! they mustn't sing!- even atonal stuff has frequency issues- who can? maybe gnomesong? some John Cage stuff? chaotic and disjointed.

Interestingly the Fremen dont like drunkards (for the conservative sect out there) so..... how to get to the fremen without being drunk?, but the Gypsies (fremen) are in the desert in enclaves,  and they can teach you 2 skills, climbing the worm- but you have to  have some climbing proficiency already- and if your faction is high enough from questing, you can get the gypsy/fremen walk spell which is a short duration buff where you can walk (not run) with a staggered step.

What this means with the skill is you cannot make it accross the dessert with the buff, but can make it, so far. and there is a long recast timer so, yes, yu weill be out there, standing still in the heat, for a while. if you are crossing. subject to the elements and... whatever else lies beneath the shallow sand maybe the tiny deer-mouse thet hops along and known to know where small oasis are located, but do you risk following it?- rythmic steps!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=321DFBE5FE2CA7B6D22E3ADF496A8618DB0CCB1A&thid=OIP.XCaVfCodPw0bP-1113jyCQHaEw&exph=386&expw=600&q=deer+mouse+on+dandelion&selectedindex=3&vt=0&eim=0,1,2,3,4,6,8,10

Deer-mouse!

This post was edited by Manouk at January 15, 2020 3:01 PM PST
    • 520 posts
    January 14, 2020 7:47 PM PST

Ha! And "guild navigators" for the zones with magical fog or darkness! 

• 768 posts
    January 17, 2020 9:09 PM PST

Manouk said:

and you pay them in spice?

The mount token you received as a reward, would be the rent itself. No addition cost as breaking the rent terms would give that faction hit. The investement here is not about coin but about time. You need to invest time if you want to access this rental service.

Any actual coin or rarity factor linked to obtaining a mount will see their impact on the player diminish over time. That why I proposed that time investment would be the impact factor on the player. If it can't be skipped this "payment" stays pretty much the same no matter how rich or influental the character becomes. The "value" of the rented mount would remain stable and meaningful. 

• 768 posts
    January 17, 2020 9:28 PM PST

Vandraad said: 

The idea proposed was that of a pack mount, a horse/mule which was, essentially, a secure mobile storage. The pack mule would have some number of inventory slots you could populate with bags and it would carry your food, drink, situational gear and loot. ... The pack mules would be a persistent creature, not something you summon/unsummon but to protect your gear it would not be attacked by NPCs nor be accessed by anyone other than yourself.

The idea was that you would park it near a dungeon, or at some small NPC encampment nearby (think the gypsy camps out in the Karanas), go adventure then return and drop off your loot.  Once your pack mule was full you would then return to town and sell/restock/whatever.

I'm not a fan of a pack mule at your side, as it leaves too much room for pathing bugs to occur and indeed what happens when in combat or sorts. Why not keep it simple and say there could be ground mounts but the player will always have to be mounted on them.

How about the player with runspeed 10, get two options when purchasing a mount; 

1. The mount does not allow any other utility other than increased out of combat travel speed. +20%

2. The mount is able to carry goods, but has a decreased out of combat travel speed. 15% 

The point here would be that you can't have it all. If your mount carries (or is allowed to carry) goods, it will be slowed down but it will still get you to town faster then you were on foot.

I too like the idea of having a stable "in the proximity" of dungeons. Especially at settlements would it be a requirement to have stables, multiple even at large cities, this in order to prevent mounted travel between housings or even to prevent them from riding them inside a home. 

The stablemaster might receive your mount. You pay for a fee for X-time. You dismount and your mount dissappears. When you return, you talk to the same stablemaster and mount back up. 

Several thoughts about this crossed my mind.

1. If you leave your mount longer at the stable then you've payed for, you'll need to pay for the extra time there before you can get your mount back. 

2. You can pay the cost of horse when retreiving your horse instead of when you hand it over. This way, you're allowing players to get their horse from a different stable from where they first placed it in. This could be helpful in case of a big city with multiple stables or a dungeon with multiple exits.

3. A paddock near the stable could display horse in them. That doesn't have to be copies of those of the players, but just random appearances.

3.1.When there are no players who have stationed mounts at that stable, the paddock near it would be displayed empty.

3.2. When there is a single player who has stationed its mount, the paddock will display a single mount.

3.3. The paddock will display a couple of mounts if several players (1 group of 6) have stationed mounts at that stable. 

3.4. The paddock will display a lot of mount if more than 6 players have mounts stationed there.

As mentioned before, I would rather NOT see mounts in cities or towns and just characters walking on their own without mounts alongside them. You're filling up the town twice as fast if you are able to keep your mount alongside you in towns.

Once you start with giving mounts utility, there is again no way back. Meaning you've opened up a whining (intended use of the word) path for players to continously keep asking and demanding more and more utility relating to their mounts; more bagspace, different bagspace, more armor, weight reduction, more buffs on the mount, etc. I understand there is a lot of potential for crafters. The question here is, is there a shortage of something that needs to be filled in by designing more utility for the mounts other than increased in travel speed and the fluff of being able to ride/own mounts. Personally, I've played plenty of games where riding a mount was plenty for me.

This post was edited by Barin999 at January 17, 2020 9:34 PM PST
    • 768 posts
    January 17, 2020 9:55 PM PST

Nephele said:

So, I understand where you're coming from with this idea, but being honest, the end result of what you have described doesn't really sound very fun.  With any gameplay system, whether it's mounts or something else, there needs to be a balance between convenience and fun for players.  Having to get your mount back to the stable in time or you'll take a faction hit amounts to a psychological sword of damocles hanging over players' heads.  Many of them will never be able to look past that perceived penalty.

So, I think perhaps it might help to come at the question from a different perspective.

1) How can the world be constructed so that it can support mounted travel while still keeping things "real"?

2) Are there things that mounts can do other than simply being an animated runspeed buff?

3) Are there ways that mounts can be treated more like persistent pets or companions?

4) Are there relatively simple methods that can be used to prevent a mounted player from simply racing past monsters with impunity?

5) Have we thought about why people want to own their own mounts from an emotional perspective?

I get what you're saying there. Just requiring currency or a one time quest investment however seems a very small price to pay for an enduring mount. Instead of a faction hit, it could be required to pay by means of faction-coin. (Either could work, the last one seems more senseable.) In a way that you can do assignments, quests or sorts to increase faction and as you pay for your mount (and possibly for stationing it at a stable) your faction drops down (not negatively, just down). This would mean you can ride your mount (rented or owned) as usual, as long as you have the faction to pay for it. When your faction becomes too low, stationing your horse at a stable would no longer be possible and one needs to increase their faction again.   Why am I still persistent in this faction thing and not just mere coin? Because coin will be less impactful over time (as mentioned couple of times before).

To your 2) ...why should they do anything other than that? Are you overcomplicating things? If so, are the benefits surpassing the downsides of the design and time of the devs?

Mounts as companion or persistent pets, to me seems very enjoyable for single player games and it's therefor understandable that the desire to have this into a mmo is present. Just imagine an open world heroic zone or a raid. Is it still meaningful to have 24 horses present? Can you set 24 persistent pets onto an add in the raid or use them for a pet pull? Will they block the path of a mob, thereby allowing the raid longer ranged dps? I think, you see where I'm going with this. 

Would you still consider it persistent if it needs to be stationed at a stable? And if so, what uses would you need it fulfill by being persistent? Or is it aimed to prevent players from feeling lonely ingame? (I'm not mocking here, it's a sencere question.)

4) I like to think that the aggro range of a character running around is smaller than when that character is mounted. This comes down to; mobs will aggro mounted players more quickly due to their increased aggro range. A mount (in my initial view) could freeze or slow down their running speed when it's being aggroed by mobs. For example: a mount runs with 20% runspeed, an aggroed mob will be slowed down to 10% runspeed (same runspeed as a player).   To me this could prevent players from skipping past mobs or sorts.