Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dual targeting

• 4 posts
    May 3, 2017 12:46 AM PDT

I Wonder if We will See abilities that effect both offensive and defensive target. That was so cool im vg. I really like to See that in pantheon, it made combat in vg much more tactical.

• 9115 posts
    May 3, 2017 3:22 AM PDT

We actually show this off in nearly every stream man, we have offensive and defensive targeting just like VG.

• 19 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:50 AM PDT

What does defensive targeting entail ?

This post was edited by Tervvo at May 3, 2017 4:51 AM PDT
    • 4 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:56 AM PDT

Yes I know. What I mean is this :

One ability that has an effect on both targets at the same time.

For example. As a ranger i had a melee ability that debuffed the Mob and rooted my defensive target iirc.

• 763 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:31 AM PDT

I can certainly see situations where this may work :

E.g. off the cuff ....

1. Necronamcer draining hp from offensive target to channel a proportion to his defensive target.

2. Enchanter pulling mana out of offensive caster to channel to defensive target

3. Wizard heating up offensive target (lowering it's cold resist, say) and balancing this by chilling down his defensive target (or himself if none selected) and lowwering his defensive target's fire resistance.

This would certainly allow spells/abilities to have greater benefits at a cost to be made up by your defensive target.
    A little like the 'cannibalize' line of spells where you inflicted yourself with hp damage in order to make mana etc.

Evoras, can see himself draining his pets for spell powers or vice versa...

• 4 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:29 AM PDT

Evoras said:

I can certainly see situations where this may work :

E.g. off the cuff ....

1. Necronamcer draining hp from offensive target to channel a proportion to his defensive target.

2. Enchanter pulling mana out of offensive caster to channel to defensive target

3. Wizard heating up offensive target (lowering it's cold resist, say) and balancing this by chilling down his defensive target (or himself if none selected) and lowwering his defensive target's fire resistance.

This would certainly allow spells/abilities to have greater benefits at a cost to be made up by your defensive target.
    A little like the 'cannibalize' line of spells where you inflicted yourself with hp damage in order to make mana etc.

Evoras, can see himself draining his pets for spell powers or vice versa...

Exactly Evoras, that is what i was going for, so cool :)

• 2886 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:31 AM PDT

Some more cool ideas for this here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5928/damage-dealer-s-threat-management/view/page/1

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 3, 2017 6:31 AM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    May 17, 2017 5:24 AM PDT

Just for the record Kilsin. The Search function on this web site sucks little green donkey....

Do a search for "Target" and it finds two threads  "target tagging" and "Encouraging Newcomers to Stay", it does not find this thread.

already got my question answered in this thread

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6308/two-targets

Thanks Tiburon and Zazazuu

• 2886 posts
    May 17, 2017 7:45 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Just for the record Kilsin. The Search function on this web site sucks little green donkey....

Do a search for "Target" and it finds two threads  "target tagging" and "Encouraging Newcomers to Stay", it does not find this thread.

Yeah the search function is very unforgiving. Trust me, I know :P The new forums will be more user-friendly.

• 511 posts
    May 17, 2017 8:53 AM PDT

As a disciple in VG I loved having both an offensive target (the NPC I was hitting) and a deffensive target (the recepent of my heals). Made it much easier to do DMG but still heal.

This post was edited by Dreconic at May 17, 2017 8:54 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 17, 2017 7:12 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Oh, I know it does, believe me, I use it more than anyone and it hurts my brain but it still serves a purpose and can be used to find a lot of information until we get to the new shiny forums and have a better search function to use :)

• 318 posts
    May 17, 2017 7:15 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

As a disciple in VG I loved having both an offensive target (the NPC I was hitting) and a deffensive target (the recepent of my heals). Made it much easier to do DMG but still heal.

I didn't play a disciple (#ranger4lyfe!), but I agree. Offensive / Defensive targetting was one of the best features to come out of VG.

• 119 posts
    May 18, 2017 1:54 AM PDT

i never played a dual target system. it sounds interesting! of course it also sounds like it makes things easier, which is a contra in my book :p i'm eager to see how it works out =)

• 16 posts
    May 18, 2017 2:59 AM PDT

I also liked the 'target's target' system of EQ2 where the offensive/defensive spells went automatically to their correct targets. It was so very easy to heal the person the target mob was hitting at the moment and keep an eye on the aggro, or the other way around put a debuff on the mob the tank was facing at the time. But I understand it is a matter of how challenging or easy one wants the game to be. I look forward to trying Pantheon's system when the time comes :)!

• 119 posts
    May 18, 2017 5:31 AM PDT

in EQ target's target was added with LDON (about the 6th expansion), and then you needed leadership-exp to unlock it. i liked alot that you could unlock such features with optional exp.

• 2 posts
    May 18, 2017 11:14 PM PDT

Don't think of dual targetting as making the game easier (or harder).  The main sea change isn't that a healer can target the tank and a mob at the same time and doesn't have to re-target.

No, the genius of offense / defense target was shown in Vanguard.  As some people stated above, it allows fascinating interactions between NPCs and PCs.  A damage dealer can dump hate from their offensive target to their defensive target (and in this way increase the tank's hate meter through their damage).  A support class can siphon magic points from an enemy mob to a friendly caster.  It allows for DPS based healers - for instance blood mages in Vanguard did all their healing through damage (the damage on the offensive target was converted into heals on the defensive target).

And on and on.  After Vanguard I actually promised myself I wouldn't invest a huge amount of time into any MMO without offensive / defensive targetting.  I've been playing MMOs since UO and Meridian 59, but this was such a game changer I actually feel like it should be industry standard after Vanguard.  Not sure how so many MMOs haven't picked it up, unless they are so worried the casual crowd can't grasp it.

Target of target is a different thing completely.  That makes it easier to heal with less clicks.  Doesn't really add much in terms of depth.

This post was edited by Faylaen at May 18, 2017 11:16 PM PDT
    • 12 posts
    May 19, 2017 10:34 AM PDT

The thing that made VG's system work was /assist and /assisto. You could quickly swap your defensive target to the target of your offensive target, and vice versa. Super useful for tanks and healers (disciples and bloodmages in particular).

• 5 posts
    November 18, 2020 6:59 PM PST

Faylaen said:

Don't think of dual targetting as making the game easier (or harder).  The main sea change isn't that a healer can target the tank and a mob at the same time and doesn't have to re-target.

No, the genius of offense / defense target was shown in Vanguard.  As some people stated above, it allows fascinating interactions between NPCs and PCs.  A damage dealer can dump hate from their offensive target to their defensive target (and in this way increase the tank's hate meter through their damage).  A support class can siphon magic points from an enemy mob to a friendly caster.  It allows for DPS based healers - for instance blood mages in Vanguard did all their healing through damage (the damage on the offensive target was converted into heals on the defensive target).

And on and on.  After Vanguard I actually promised myself I wouldn't invest a huge amount of time into any MMO without offensive / defensive targetting.  I've been playing MMOs since UO and Meridian 59, but this was such a game changer I actually feel like it should be industry standard after Vanguard.  Not sure how so many MMOs haven't picked it up, unless they are so worried the casual crowd can't grasp it.

Target of target is a different thing completely.  That makes it easier to heal with less clicks.  Doesn't really add much in terms of depth.

I felt the same way after playing Vanguard.  Dual Targeting was such an innovative, and effective change to combat that it really should have become a gaming standard.  I'm glad to hear it will be used in Pantheon.

• 888 posts
    November 25, 2020 2:11 PM PST
    It's a great idea, but it would need to allow large ranges and not be too strict with line of sight rules otherwise it would be unusable far too often.