Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Acclimation Thoughts and 4/27 stream

This topic has been closed.
    • 184 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:45 AM PDT

Excuse the informal/objective style of this post (I want to make sure it's terse/accessible to mods). The abridged version of my thoughts on the stream; amazing progress, but the public/naysayers need better explanations of how combat will actually be more engaging/different than 1999 (subtle things such as npc's running to alarm is sort of new but not groundbreaking, nor is FD pulling, people want to see how combat is innovative/contemporary (e.g. apart from interrupting spells with bash etc as we have always seen, are there perhaps active abilities regular mobs do, forcing even melee classes to reactively use certain abilities/do certain things at given time (something similar to tanks having to recognize casting animations etc to interrupt or use defensive disciplines)? Additionally, is in combat medding being addressed? Just thinking outloud, for progress in visuals (animations, graphics, lighting) is always great, but also expected and will not convince fence sitters that there is anything new to see here by means of combat, which is supposed to be the most exciting aspect of a game and all of the "tab targetting" spam in Coh twitch chat could definitely be silenced by some further explanation of combat mechanics (in doesn't have to be visually shown, just talk about it, tell them waht's to come, for the clear visual progress made since December's stream will be enough for people to believe VR wil be able to follow through with things they say they'll implement. 

Second, the acclimation system came off as another grindfest to basically just get flagged to access restricted areas, which is obviously a rebranding of gear checks and grinding (again just being objective not negative, I do this for a living and we need to get everyone we can onboard for Pantheon). Bridge shown, can't cross bridge without potions, but can craft/dungeon for potions to then access the area (same as grinding/flagging). Again, this could simply be a misinterpretation, but everyone is talking about it the same way. What gets people excited about acclimation is thethought of the randomness/real life/lord of the rings style brutal weather that forces us to waver and take alternative routes or face extreme risk of dying as opposed to simple being able to get into an area, with a frosted border on our screen and movement slightly slowed - it feels inorganic and placed, taking away from the immersion and excitement whether brings. Does it, or can we make the acclimation potions instead work more along the lines of resistance gear, meaning instead of simply being blocked out of that bridge and door because our group doesn't have the potions or a tier lower, our group can instead perhaps bypass the harshness with two healers in the group to heal through the damage of the wind, or perhaps with an extra CC to take care of adds on bridge slowing us down, maybe a higher HP tank or dwarf with innate resistances can aid the group in some way; just something that creates a scenario that feels organic and unique to players at any given time.

Again, just iterating/regurgitating community observation and concern, but this is largely in shadow to the success of the stream. Amazing job on the progress! People had been waiting so long for an update, that tons of uncertain/new people are now pledging; however, there are also a TON that aren't, and those are the people we obviously need. Exciting to see so much getting done. With the right thought and direction, there is now no doubt in my mind that everything we are hoping for and wanting out of Pantheon can happen. I hope the success of this stream (and the one upcoming) only motivates the VR team to work even harder : )

This post was edited by Zuljan at April 29, 2017 7:49 AM PDT
    • 157 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:54 AM PDT

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5063/opinion-on-acclimation-system

is a thread you could have added this opinion to that's been being posted on frequently in the past 24 hours with the exact same topic / discussion as you've put forth.

• 184 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:57 AM PDT

I was on the fence about posting there! 90% of the posts are about the December stream (in addition to me bringing an additional topic of combat into discussion here), so I decided to post. I guess we'll see if the Kilsin hammer comes down today : )

• 184 posts
    April 29, 2017 8:29 AM PDT

And now I've found a couple others that are also similar. Fail! What I get for trying to rush this post and get out of the door today

• 409 posts
    April 29, 2017 8:30 AM PDT

One thing I do agree with you is that in the stream it did come across as a flag/gear check type of mechanic due to "running towards the big door at the end" of the path, +the infusions being permanent. (I hope this isn't the case as I do wish for the "LOTR style climate/path choices adventure too". Maybe it's both? - who knows.)

Ps. You should repost this in the other thread.. Kilsin is highly likely to closed this. :)

• 3852 posts
    April 29, 2017 8:45 AM PDT

It is very very easy to find things that could have been said better or done better and we aren't even up to pre-alpha much less alpha. On balance the stream was very very positive although no one doubts more work is needed (tries to get a positive comment in before the clusure bat lands).

• 26 posts
    April 29, 2017 8:52 AM PDT

Nimryl said:

One thing I do agree with you is that in the stream it did come across as a flag/gear check type of mechanic due to "running towards the big door at the end" of the path, +the infusions being permanent. (I hope this isn't the case as I do wish for the "LOTR style climate/path choices adventure too". Maybe it's both? - who knows.)

Ps. You should repost this in the other thread.. Kilsin is highly likely to closed this. :)

I agree it seems this way at first, but we don't know what is on the other side of the door, perhaps the cold/windy climate perists past the door. It is natural for narrow canyons/corridors between tall cliffs/mountains to sometimes funnel the wind making it stronger than the rest of the area. I image this was just a quck and easy example for them to prep and show us as a teaser. They did reference a volcano crater having scorching/toxic, which to me sounds like it would be a larger area that you would have to endure continuously if you chose to camp there. I am fine with some climates being large zone-wide areas and some being small more focused areas, adds some variety :)

• 2886 posts
    • 9115 posts
    April 29, 2017 6:37 PM PDT

I appreciate your attempt to make a clear standalone post but as others have kindly pointed out, there are a few early birds who got theirs started first, so I will need to close this to consolidate information. :)