Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafters needing crafters

• 57 posts
    April 27, 2017 6:51 AM PDT

My only problem with crafting needing other crafters to complete products is availablity of other crafters and keeping their prices reasonable so that when the completed project is finished you are able to sell the product to get at least what you spent to make it. I know from many games that have tried this in the past you the person trying to make the product get gouged by your fellow crafters or the end product sells for less then what you put into it because buyers will haggle you for a lower price. 

• 1399 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:29 PM PDT

I don't recall crafting ever being profitable. Maybe for the hard core first to skill up but in my experience there's always a high level crafter in the guild that will craft free for all members (often in exchange for first dibs at any new crafting patterns). Guild members need only collect the mats needed. 

Based on that all the profit to be had was always in the materials and gathering.

• 1618 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:31 PM PDT

Pretty much. Help guildies and be self-sustainable.

• 1584 posts
    April 30, 2017 10:31 PM PDT

Zohkar said:

My only problem with crafting needing other crafters to complete products is availablity of other crafters and keeping their prices reasonable so that when the completed project is finished you are able to sell the product to get at least what you spent to make it. I know from many games that have tried this in the past you the person trying to make the product get gouged by your fellow crafters or the end product sells for less then what you put into it because buyers will haggle you for a lower price. 

This is a good point and it does happen a lot, i know in my guild we did this and basically gave all the materials for free and end the "end" crafter sold the item for a fair price we split the profit, granted this requires a ton of trust and such, but if you know the right kind of people it is easily done.

• 1468 posts
    May 1, 2017 12:37 AM PDT

Zohkar said:

That can simply be fixed by crafters not paying inflated prices for items made by other crafters. If a crafter is selling Item A for 10 plat and you need it to make Item B which sells for 9 plat then don't pay those prices. Remember the worth of an item is what people are prepared to pay for it. If no one buys off the first crafter for the 10 plat price for Item A then that crafter will have no choice but to lower prices.

• 19 posts
    May 1, 2017 2:39 AM PDT

Not to be mean, but 29-23 = 6 gold, not 7 lol.  If a crafter doesnt like his profit margins, he wont craft except for himself/close friends, not to mention he can either haggle other crafters to get a lower price, or simply make an alt to whip up said materials if he's serious about crafting for profit. 

• 7 posts
    May 1, 2017 3:15 PM PDT

They did the crafters needing sub combins in Eq2 it did not last long to much qq i myself loved it i made bank as a alchamist.

• 1618 posts
    May 1, 2017 3:44 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Zohkar said:

That can simply be fixed by crafters not paying inflated prices for items made by other crafters. If a crafter is selling Item A for 10 plat and you need it to make Item B which sells for 9 plat then don't pay those prices. Remember the worth of an item is what people are prepared to pay for it. If no one buys off the first crafter for the 10 plat price for Item A then that crafter will have no choice but to lower prices.

Unless leveling up requires combines, which require components  from the over priced vendors. At that point, you pay or you do not progress.

• 14 posts
    May 2, 2017 1:13 AM PDT

EQ2 originally had interdependence but removed it.. was so disappointed.

Unfortunately MMO economies tend to tank prices... you have guilds out there that will work together to cut prices, or people will go below the established market value because they just want to sell quickly - not an issue long term, but other people want to do the same and so they tank the price more, and then someone makes a bulk order and does the same.... etc etc.

It does usually turn out that raw mats become more expensive than the final product.

Also, if you have people that have a lot of gold or plat.. then they don't care what the materials cost, so someone saying 'if they are too expensive, then don't buy them' more often than not means you just don't buy them and then they are gone coz someone else just didn't care how much they cost:P

So because the real cost out of all of this is the time taken to farm mats, you have people selling them for higher, because people will just buy them at any price, and that then pushes most crafters out of the market in terms of being able to make a profit from crafting which relies on interdependence, as either a guild work together, or people just dump because they want to sell quick, and other's take the market value from those people that dump - which can also be large quantities of dumped goods that take a while to settle back down and generally see-saw back from ridiculous to market price.

Overall, i love crafting, and would love to do it, and love interdependence.... i just don't see how it is largely viable unless everyone knows market prices, and there is room for profit at every level!

This post was edited by Traiel at May 2, 2017 1:20 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    May 3, 2017 8:11 AM PDT

In many MMOs there is a dramatic difference between crafting at maximum level and crafting at lower levels. One can hope in Pantheon that levels will not come quickly and gear will not be awarded as if every quest reward was Christmas (fill in alternative holidays for those that celebrate such) come early. If so crafting below maximum level may be more rewarding both for the crafters and those who use crafted gear. That may affect the dynamic Traiel correctly cites.

There is also, of course, a dramatic difference between those that craft to make coin and those that craft to make things they, their "alts" and friends and guildmates can use as upgrades.

I am not sure how much interdependence makes the dynamic worse. If you are a smith and you don't need anything from anyone else you will still be up a well known creek without a paddle if materials cost more than the finished product. And you can still do quite well if the people that don't care how much they pay need what you are selling.

• 16 posts
    May 4, 2017 4:40 PM PDT

Zohkar said:

This will sort itself out by bartering. I hated making nails and other base components in Vanguard. Simply cause it was boring AF. But, I also needed base items from other crafting profs (particularly woodworkers if I remember) to make my higher tier items. It didn't take long before I had standing agreements with a few woodworkers for trade. They needed nails pretty badly to create their housing and ship building items. I made them (despite it sucking) and they'd reciprocate with the handles, etc I needed.

As for the other post about crafting not really being lucrative.. that hasn't been my experience at all. I was easily in the top 3 in wealth on my Vanguard server due to crafting (which was my main focus). Even in WoW I've found crafting to really be my main money making avenue.

This post was edited by Worth at May 4, 2017 4:41 PM PDT