Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Using the perception system while crafting

• 1468 posts
    April 20, 2017 11:11 PM PDT

We all know that one of the big features that the Pantheon developers are showing off is the perception system as it relates to quests. Walk past a certain NPC with a high enough perception skill and you might get a quest. Personally I love the idea but what if it was expanded to include crafting as well?

Say you found a piece of wood. You could use that wood in your recipes and everything would be fine. But what about if you had a high perception skill? You might find out that this particular piece of wood had some magical properties and only crafters with a high enough perception skill could get a bonus when using it to make items? The perception skill could be used to find secrets out about all kinds of things.

Just imagine what would happen if you combined experimentation which they have already discussed with the perception system so you could use your perception to find secret ways of combining certain items or use your perception to see if there are any hidden bits of information associated with a crafting item.

Perception sounds great but I don't see it as only being about questing. It could be used while crafting as well in many different ways. I've only just thought up a couple of ways it could be used but with a bit of discussion we could come up with loads more.

I think the perception system as it has been described to us so far is the single most exciting part of Pantheon and it would make total sense to integrate into the crafting system as well.

What do you all think?

Edit:

I did some more thinking and posted about it here if you are interested in reading more about this.

https://www.pantheoncrafters.com/resources/using-the-perception-system-while-crafting.7/

This post was edited by Cromulent at April 20, 2017 11:32 PM PDT
    • 105 posts
    April 21, 2017 12:04 AM PDT

The short answer is "yes, there will be Perception opportunities in Crafting". Not a requirement for Crafting progression, but expect to be searching for clues to rare and unique recipes at some point down that track, should you choose to seek them out.

• 1468 posts
    April 21, 2017 2:06 AM PDT

Ceythos said:

The short answer is "yes, there will be Perception opportunities in Crafting". Not a requirement for Crafting progression, but expect to be searching for clues to rare and unique recipes at some point down that track, should you choose to seek them out.

That sounds really interesting. Thanks for the response. I look forward to hearing more about how this will work.

• 1584 posts
    April 21, 2017 6:38 AM PDT

I could see it where lets say you hit 175 in blacksmithing or any tradeskill and your preception skill is high enough, let's say you walk past a trading post that you've walked past at least 100 times or maybe somewhere you've just met and you finally met the requirements to "trigger" this guy interests in you by telling your a skilled Tradeskiller and he wants to make you his student and teach you something he knows.  I really like this idea.

• 294 posts
    April 21, 2017 5:35 PM PDT

I truly like your idea Cromulent. Plenty of room to grow with perception and crafting.

Perhaps perception not only tells you that the wood has magical properties, but perception also informs you that this particular type of wood splinters perfectly, creating rare needles for rogue throwing darts.

Like Ceythos said, that discovery leads you to search for a special recipe to construct the unique darts. Combine that with the special perception that a magic-missile dart throwing wizard might enjoy, and now you're on the search for an even mightier recipe that creates darts that automatically hit 100% of the time when thrown by the rogue.

It can go on and on.

• 1468 posts
    April 22, 2017 6:11 PM PDT

Klumpedge said:

I truly like your idea Cromulent. Plenty of room to grow with perception and crafting.

Perhaps perception not only tells you that the wood has magical properties, but perception also informs you that this particular type of wood splinters perfectly, creating rare needles for rogue throwing darts.

Like Ceythos said, that discovery leads you to search for a special recipe to construct the unique darts. Combine that with the special perception that a magic-missile dart throwing wizard might enjoy, and now you're on the search for an even mightier recipe that creates darts that automatically hit 100% of the time when thrown by the rogue.

It can go on and on.

Yeah it is a very exciting system. The perception system allows for almost limitless possibilities and you can do so much stuff with it from finding magical properties in crafting ingredients to finding hidden recipes for special items. I'm very interested to hear how this will pan out.

The big question is though will you be able to level your perception skill without adventuring or can you only level it by adventuring? From what Ceythos said you should be able to level up crafting on its own so I hope that also includes perception so you don't miss out on anything while crafting.