Forums » Crafting

Class dependent crafting

    • 105 posts
    April 19, 2017 6:21 PM PDT
    So, back in the far reaches of time when dinosaurs roamed the earth and 56k was blazing fast, EQ was born. Blah blah jewelry crafting. In order to craft anything worth a darn as a jewel crafter you needed to get your bars (gold, silver, etc) enchanted. The enchanter class was the only class that could do this. Thus, to do jewel crafting you had to either be a specific class, or hit up someone of that class. For every single thing you crafted. Which meant most people who wanted to be jewel crafters played enchanters because it was ridiculously taxing to have to track down someone willing to enchant for you at reasonable rates. Thus, a tradeskil was tied directly to a class. Are we going to see interdependence of that nature in Pantheon, or is that a thing of the past?
    • 106 posts
    April 19, 2017 7:17 PM PDT

    Reafwalk said: So, back in the far reaches of time when dinosaurs roamed the earth and 56k was blazing fast, EQ was born. Blah blah jewelry crafting. In order to craft anything worth a darn as a jewel crafter you needed to get your bars (gold, silver, etc) enchanted. The enchanter class was the only class that could do this. Thus, to do jewel crafting you had to either be a specific class, or hit up someone of that class. For every single thing you crafted. Which meant most people who wanted to be jewel crafters played enchanters because it was ridiculously taxing to have to track down someone willing to enchant for you at reasonable rates. Thus, a tradeskil was tied directly to a class. Are we going to see interdependence of that nature in Pantheon, or is that a thing of the past?


    We're fine leaving that level of Adventuring class interdependency in the past, I'm pretty sure.

    The case could be made for having some level of convenience tie-ins, such as an Enchanter transmuting metals from one type to another, Druids transmuting a type of wood into another, etc. We think there'll be opportunities where it makes sense, just not a complete gating/requirement for a class to directly feed a profession at most steps.

    • 105 posts
    April 19, 2017 7:22 PM PDT
    Thanks! Great to know that!
    • 1634 posts
    April 19, 2017 8:05 PM PDT

    Yeah, while I think it's cool to tie in some class abilities, more than just a single class should have it in my opinion  :)

    • 2531 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:31 AM PDT

    I could live with class-dependent crafting but probably better to leave it in the dustbin of history. Too much risk of needing a class one hated to be able to do a craft one wanted.

    • 1541 posts
    April 20, 2017 5:59 PM PDT

    Whilst I agree that requiring a certain class to progress in a certain crafting profession is a bad idea. I still think requiring different crafting professions to work together is a good idea. It would mean that people would have to interact with other people in order to get that awesome piece of loot made or perhaps that boat requires items from different types of crafters.

    This would help build a community amongst the crafting community where people know what items other crafters can make and then they would get to know them through financial interactions and deals to make certain items.

    • 106 posts
    April 20, 2017 6:11 PM PDT

    Cromulent said:

    Whilst I agree that requiring a certain class to progress in a certain crafting profession is a bad idea. I still think requiring different crafting professions to work together is a good idea. 



    For sure. Most of the "better" Crafted items will have cross Crafting profession dependencies. Those types of combinations will also likely yield higher xp returns to compensate for requiring working together. 


    This post was edited by Ceythos at April 20, 2017 6:11 PM PDT
    • 1541 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:50 PM PDT

    Ceythos said:

    Cromulent said:

    Whilst I agree that requiring a certain class to progress in a certain crafting profession is a bad idea. I still think requiring different crafting professions to work together is a good idea. 



    For sure. Most of the "better" Crafted items will have cross Crafting profession dependencies. Those types of combinations will also likely yield higher xp returns to compensate for requiring working together. 

    Awesome. Thats sounds great. I'm looking forward to the crafting community being quite close knit with crafters learning who they can work together with and therefore making friends with each other across the server with the best crafters making a real name for themselves and having their work highly sort after.

    • 1019 posts
    April 25, 2017 2:18 PM PDT

    Found a more appropriate thread.. please delete


    This post was edited by Zorkon at April 25, 2017 2:54 PM PDT