Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Casting Animations

• 483 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:09 PM PDT

I noticed that when caster finishes casting a spell they don't perform any animation or movement with their hands, either to finalize the spell or to direct it at target, it's just like EQ 1, you finish the cast and the spell just "goes off".

I personally don't like this, i much preffer when my character does an "end" animation when the spell is fully cast, it looks more authentic and tells you that the spell finished casting. I fell that my spells have a lot more impact when there's an "end" animation to a cast.

Thoughts on this?

Edit: it's not about how good the animation looks or feels, it's about the "end" animation being there.

This post was edited by jpedrote at April 18, 2017 1:11 PM PDT
    • 191 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:28 PM PDT

I want my wizard to karate-kick fireballs.

Seriously though, you're not alone in placing a high value on character animations, generally.  The "end" animations you describe sound appealing to me!  Also, I actually wasn't kidding about the karate-kick fireballs...

• 542 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:34 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:34 PM PDT

It's a good point. I agree. But as always, we have to reserve judgment as it's still incredibly early in the development process and the animations will inevitably see several more rounds of improvements.

• 1584 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:36 PM PDT

I'm sure they will touch up on this for im sure it has been brought up a few times and they just havent gotten into this part of the animations is all, but still tweaking other things that are just more important as im sure adding animations is pretty simple, maybe a lil time consuming but i don't see it being all that hard, but once they do it i hope that all races/classes cast differently as in a orge/druid will cast different than a orge/shaman and a halfling/druid will cast differently than a orge/druid.

This post was edited by Cealtric at April 18, 2017 1:37 PM PDT
    • 483 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:38 PM PDT

Fluffy said:

you mean like tennis players grunt during the game?

No, I mean a real animation, like a kamehameha, in the end of the cast Goku pushes his spell, that's the part I'm talking about, the finish of the cast actually being different from the rest of the spell cast.

• 483 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:42 PM PDT

@Bazgrim @Riahuf22

Exactly, we will have to wait and see I hope they make then though. I brought it up because currently there are none, not even a very basic placeholder one, so it got me thinking if there's any plans to implement them.

• 483 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:43 PM PDT

Shai said:

I want my wizard to karate-kick fireballs.

Seriously though, you're not alone in placing a high value on character animations, generally.  The "end" animations you describe sound appealing to me!  Also, I actually wasn't kidding about the karate-kick fireballs...

Not sure Karate-kicks firballs fit the lore, lol! Maybe a monk can do a fire round house kick that would be neat.

• 542 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:06 PM PDT

The finish of the cast being different than the cast,i see

I'd love to see show-down abilities  to settle matters too once in a while

Bet you don't want animation cancelling either? This has become a thing in a few recent games 

This post was edited by Fluffy at April 18, 2017 2:06 PM PDT
    • 483 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:11 PM PDT

@Fluffy

Cancelling animation how so? I can only think of a caster stopping what he's casting and returning to his normal stance.

• 59 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:41 PM PDT

jpedrote said:

I noticed that when caster finishes casting a spell they don't perform any animation or movement with their hands, either to finalize the spell or to direct it at target, it's just like EQ 1, you finish the cast and the spell just "goes off".

I personally don't like this, i much preffer when my character does an "end" animation when the spell is fully cast, it looks more authentic and tells you that the spell finished casting. I fell that my spells have a lot more impact when there's an "end" animation to a cast.

Thoughts on this?

Edit: it's not about how good the animation looks or feels, it's about the "end" animation being there.

Go look at their team list and see how many animators they have working for them at this point in time. The vast majority that you see are default/generic place holder animations. I would wait until you see a more finalized product before complaining/criticising about there not being an animation when there's not animations for most things that we've seen publically at this point.

• 9115 posts
    April 18, 2017 3:17 PM PDT

Casting animations are still being worked on, you will see changes and improvements as development progresses.

• 483 posts
    April 18, 2017 3:36 PM PDT

@CrAzD

Not complaining, just asking if the lack of a "end" animation was intended or not, because it was like that in EQ

@Kilsin

Thanks for the reply Kilsin! Keep up the good work the new stream looks well good, can't wait for it! :)

• 542 posts
    April 18, 2017 3:44 PM PDT

The type of animation cancelling where you stop casting to return to normal stance is normal and fine
    It is a different story when players are allowed to proudly jam in 5 other moves while the animation is supposed to finish
    It even became a requirement to master animation cancelling in order to be allowed in groups,guilds and raids
    That type of animation cancelling is cancer lol
    Can't believe eso retroactively endorsed such exploits(one of the many reasons I've quit that game)
    None of the finish effects you want would matter if the abusive type of animation cancelling would be allowed,
    as players would just interrupt the animation preemtively with 5 other attacks they manage to jam in
    That Pantheon has rather slow-paced combat might be a reasurance that things will turn out quite differently <3

I loved the shaman spell effects and the monk kicks so far in the teaser 

• 191 posts
    April 18, 2017 4:18 PM PDT

There's NOTHING WRONG with respectfully saying "This is a thing that's important to me."  That's what OP did.  Literally everybody knows it's still early and that VR is on a shoestring budget.  Throwing up a strawman criticism and then rushing in to defend VR from it is both useless and annoying.

• 2419 posts
    April 18, 2017 6:38 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Casting animations are still being worked on, you will see changes and improvements as development progresses.

I have but two hopes when it comes to casting animations: 

1.  Different spell lines have different animations.  I don't want all the spells having the same animations, be creative.

2.  Casting animations are tailored to the length of the cast.  EQ1 had very short animations which fit perfectly with cast timers in the early game.  But later on when casting times were many seconds long the character just stood there like an idiot until the very end.

• 839 posts
    April 18, 2017 7:43 PM PDT

The enhancement to the spell graphics in this latest teaser video look amazing! I know thats not what OP is talking about but we are seeing lots of upgrades occour to these areas and I am sure the work on character casting animations are going to be following soon! I'd love to see some creativity go into the casting animations too, i love it when you can see the characters look like they are really launching those fireballs out of their hands etc as the casting animation ends, knowing how much love is going into the game i am so certain we are going to see some awesome looking animations unfold as they progress!

• 72 posts
    April 19, 2017 3:24 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

This is is what I keep having to tell my friends.  I understand that animations are not a current focus, since the development team is prioritizing mechanics and ambiance first.  Despite all their interests in the game, this is really their only complaint.  I can only hope that they are blown away once the game is ready for release. 

• 483 posts
    April 27, 2017 3:02 PM PDT

I guess I'm a twat .....

Just watched the new stream, casting animations look superb!

But the running still needs some tweaking, haha, just messing arround, you guys are doing amazing progress keep up fantastic work, looking foward to the next stream, wonder why the guy is called "the Reckless Magician".

This post was edited by jpedrote at April 27, 2017 3:06 PM PDT