Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Where does Jewelry fit in the the released crafting professions?

• 279 posts
    April 14, 2017 5:55 PM PDT

Outfitter? Stonemason?

• 1468 posts
    April 14, 2017 6:31 PM PDT

Hmm. Good question. I can see an outfitter maybe doing it as they outfit people for certain tasks. I wouldn't have thought it would be a stonemason.

This is really one of those questions the devs will have to answer.

• 2886 posts
    April 14, 2017 6:34 PM PDT

I think that you could also add Blacksmith to the list of possibilities. I think it's either Blacksmith or Outfitter.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 14, 2017 6:34 PM PDT
    • 511 posts
    April 14, 2017 6:51 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Hmm. Good question. I can see an outfitter maybe doing it as they outfit people for certain tasks. I wouldn't have thought it would be a stonemason.

Actually historically is it believed that Jewellers did come from stone mason type jobs:

"Later CIRCA 11,000 BC, the European early modern humans had crude necklaces and bracelets of bone, teeth, berries, and stone hung on pieces of string or animal sinew, or pieces of carved bone used to secure clothing together. In some cases, jewellery had shell or mother-of-pearl pieces."
    It wasn't until much later Circa 3,000 BC that jewellery actually started looking like what we would call jewellery now and was done by blacksmiths smelting metals and forming them when soft into earrings, pendants, crowns, etc.

Even now though a lot of jewellery is made out of stones and rare earth minerals rather than metal alloys.

All this is to say, I could see it being stonemason specilization or a blacksmith or maybe even an outfitter.

• 1468 posts
    April 14, 2017 7:14 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

Cromulent said:

Actually historically is it believed that Jewellers did come from stone mason type jobs:

"Later CIRCA 11,000 BC, the European early modern humans had crude necklaces and bracelets of bone, teeth, berries, and stone hung on pieces of string or animal sinew, or pieces of carved bone used to secure clothing together. In some cases, jewellery had shell or mother-of-pearl pieces."
    It wasn't until much later Circa 3,000 BC that jewellery actually started looking like what we would call jewellery now and was done by blacksmiths smelting metals and forming them when soft into earrings, pendants, crowns, etc.

Even now though a lot of jewellery is made out of stones and rare earth minerals rather than metal alloys.

All this is to say, I could see it being stonemason specilization or a blacksmith or maybe even an outfitter.

Today I learned.

• 77 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:42 PM PDT

I look at it this way. Specializations. Of course these are all just random thoughts in my head of re-reading what they are thinking of.

Blacksmith - Weaponsmith/Armorsmith

Outfitter - Leatherworker/Tailor

Stonemason - Jeweler/Bricklayer

Alchemist - Potions/Poisons

Provisioner - Food/Drink or something entirely different

Woodworker - Weapons/Crafts

Scribe - Mapmaking/Spells

This post was edited by Nolvu at April 18, 2017 2:42 PM PDT
    • 511 posts
    April 19, 2017 4:03 AM PDT

Nolvu said:

I look at it this way. Specializations. Of course these are all just random thoughts in my head of re-reading what they are thinking of.

I would tend to agree that this list will be similiar to what we see at launch.

• 105 posts
    April 19, 2017 3:42 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

Nolvu said:

This is preeeeeetty close to what we're currently leaning towards. 

To the OP's query, Stonemason would be where you'd find Jeweler as a specializtion.

Maps, if we have them, would likely be covered in the base profession for the Scribe. As a question to you all, how would you see maps being a requirement/commodity in the game? A lot of information about how to travel places will likely be spoiled on the 'net in short order. I could see maps tying in with hidden/buried treasures, fast travel/teleport abilities (possibly requiring the aid of a teleporting class to aid in their creation), or providing a more detailed atlas for areas for a period of time. We'd like to hear your thoughts, though.

Bricks and Carpentry are something we'd like to plan for in the event player housing and/or boats become a post-launch reality. Since we're doing the here and soon to be though, if those types of items and associated recipes do get added, they'd likely be folded into the base professions for Stonemason and Woodworker.

• 180 posts
    April 19, 2017 4:02 PM PDT

I don't have a problem with maps that are created in game as long as they are not trivial to make.   Maps that can be improved and upgraded over time would actually be pretty neat. A level of customisation depending on the cartographer would also be a nice addition. 

• 77 posts
    April 19, 2017 4:24 PM PDT

Oh so many ideas on MAPS.

Could make it where the one scribe that's walking around making the maps has to physically go to those area's or surrounding area's that he can see and perhaps make landmarks. Kicker would be 2 scribes could use compleetely different landmarks or even miss that hidden cave due to the slagging of a tree limb. I like the idea of the detailed atlas so to speak, to really get into the gritty of things, as an explorerer if stepped off a quarterturn to the left you could end up somewhere completely different then just going straight type of thing. Not only treasures, but just hidden places of raw beauty untouched by the steps of most adventurers.

• 279 posts
    April 19, 2017 6:00 PM PDT

Ceythos said:

To the OP's query, Stonemason would be where you'd find Jeweler as a specializtion.

Maps, if we have them, would likely be covered in the base profession for the Scribe. As a question to you all, how would you see maps being a requirement/commodity in the game? A lot of information about how to travel places will likely be spoiled on the 'net in short order. I could see maps tying in with hidden/buried treasures, fast travel/teleport abilities (possibly requiring the aid of a teleporting class to aid in their creation), or providing a more detailed atlas for areas for a period of time. We'd like to hear your thoughts, though.

Bricks and Carpentry are something we'd like to plan for in the event player housing and/or boats become a post-launch reality. Since we're doing the here and soon to be though, if those types of items and associated recipes do get added, they'd likely be folded into the base professions for Stonemason and Woodworker.

Thanks, all the stuff I'm hearing about crafting sounds great so far!

I don't mind maps or no maps, but there's still no mini map right? So they would be something you could open up on your screen but not really have a blip showing where you are? Hopefully they wouldn't take up a bag slot or you could learn it like a spell and open it up whenever.

It would be cool if scribes could make maps of the cities and maybe even the starting zones right from the start. Hidden/buried treasures could be cool but would seem weird to have one for every zone and enough to go around for everyone. Don't really know what you mean with the fast travel stuff.

My idea for it would be to have a cartography guild of npcs and a cartography skill for players. The npcs give you a blank map and a quest to go to nearby known zones and spend time in each region of the zone using your cartography skill to fill out your map. Some regions could be harder and more dangerous than others to get to of course. Once map is 100% you take it back and give it to the npc and your cartography skill goes up by (1) and you get a copy of the map. The npc tracks quests completed globally and after "100" turn-ins they would sell a basic map for the zone for a high price to everyone and patterns for scribes at a lower price. Each zone could have a required cartography skill to start getting the quests. After basic maps are available they could start offering quests to cartographers of higher skill level to map out each zone again in advanced detail. You get to keep the advanced detail map for youself and after "1000" advanced detail turn ins they could start selling those to everyone and patterns to scribes. Something like that anyway.

Might be too much work but it could always be a post launch feature. (I didn't read any of the other cartography threads yet, so they probably had some better ideas).

This post was edited by Pantz at April 19, 2017 6:04 PM PDT
    • 105 posts
    April 19, 2017 7:11 PM PDT

Pantz said:

I don't mind maps or no maps, but there's still no mini map right? 

My idea for it would be to have a cartography guild of npcs and a cartography skill for players. The npcs give you a blank map and a quest to go to nearby known zones and spend time in each region of the zone using your cartography skill to fill out your map. Some regions could be harder and more dangerous than others to get to of course. Once map is 100% you take it back and give it to the npc and your cartography skill goes up by (1) and you get a copy of the map. The npc tracks quests completed globally and after "100" turn-ins they would sell a basic map for the zone for a high price to everyone and patterns for scribes at a lower price. Each zone could have a required cartography skill to start getting the quests. After basic maps are available they could start offering quests to cartographers of higher skill level to map out each zone again in advanced detail. You get to keep the advanced detail map for youself and after "1000" advanced detail turn ins they could start selling those to everyone and patterns to scribes. Something like that anyway.

Might be too much work but it could always be a post launch feature. (I didn't read any of the other cartography threads yet, so they probably had some better ideas).

Thanks, glad to hear you're liking it so far :)

That's correct, still no plans for a mini map.

That's an interesting suggestion for how Cartography could be used. We'll have to chew on that for a bit.

• 27 posts
    April 21, 2017 1:29 AM PDT

Ceythos said:

Pantz said:

I don't mind maps or no maps, but there's still no mini map right? 

Thanks, glad to hear you're liking it so far :)

That's correct, still no plans for a mini map.

That's an interesting suggestion for how Cartography could be used. We'll have to chew on that for a bit.

I think every system has to have advanced server age in mind. So what happens after all zones are mapped in detail and maps are availabe for sale? Right, cartographers will die out.

You need to make a system where every cartographers map is unique and can only be aquired directly from the cartographer. Make it so that every map has errors in it, the more skill, the less errors but never zero. So as a customer i can choose: do i want the map of Ogli the gnome that has that oversized mountain in it or rather take dwarf Dustys map that has more accuracy on tunnel entrances but doesn't care much about forest locations?

• 363 posts
    April 22, 2017 12:42 PM PDT
    Honestly, I'm sad to see maps still even being discussed. I really loved EQOA and one of the major reasons why was no maps, just a compass. I loved the sense of exploration, and actually learning the lay of the land. I could get anywhere by memory. I can't do that in any other game because I'm spoiled by the maps. When something is in game, you can't just "not use it" without everyone getting pissed off at you for not doing so.
    • 3016 posts
    April 22, 2017 3:49 PM PDT

Hoping we crafters get the ability to apply runes to weapons and armor..maybe dropped in dungeons? 

• 432 posts
    May 11, 2017 9:41 AM PDT

NEXTLEVL said: Honestly, I'm sad to see maps still even being discussed. I really loved EQOA and one of the major reasons why was no maps, just a compass. I loved the sense of exploration, and actually learning the lay of the land. I could get anywhere by memory. I can't do that in any other game because I'm spoiled by the maps. When something is in game, you can't just "not use it" without everyone getting pissed off at you for not doing so.

Well if you don't want it, nothing will be spoiled for you . Just don't buy maps from cartographers in game and don't go on web sites (like EQAtlas)  and you can explore and be lost as much as you want . VR has already stated that there will not be any minimaps nor maps provided by the game .

However the latter (Atlas sites) will exist anyway already in alpha . The former will or will not exist depending whether the devs put the cartographer skill in at launch or not .

For a fun cartography tradeskill I would imagine following concepts

- a minimum intelligence requirement (characters below intelligence X cannot access the cartography skill)

- in some towns are cartographer guilds which allow a cartography beginner to start. They would sell/give quests for parchments, quills, inks, sextants and compasses. They would evaluate the work done and increase the cartographer's skill . They would also take finished maps in custody to sell them to players . Finished maps would be no drop so that the market doesn't dry out with players reselling/transferring finished maps from one character to another one.

- maps would be in Tiers depending on skill level . F.ex Tier 1 is a map that only shows only the limits of a zone and mountains for an outdoor zone and the streets for a town zone . Tier 2 would be maps showing rivers, forests and mountains for outdoor zones and shops/remarkable locations for towns . Tier 3 maps would show indoor (dungeon) zones . Tier 4 maps would allow to add secret locations (like hidden doors, treasures, important mobs)

- the cartography process would happen by physically visiting a location equipped with a compas and a sextant . Both would allow to determine the location coordinates and put a point on the blank map parchment . From Tier 3 up the cartographer would also use a barometer which will add to the N/S coordinates the height above/below the sea level . The necessary equipment could be object of quests given in the cartography guild .

- After the physical exploration is done, the cartographer uses a quil and black ink (from Tier 3 up colored inks are available) and draws the lines connecting the points collected during the exploration . The maps becomes a finished map when it is shown and validated by the cartographer's guild . It can then also be sold via the cartographer's guild .

- There could also be quests for treasure maps that only cartographers could do . There could be random treasure spawns in the world (for a limited time) and the cartographer guild would propose quests to get maps indicating the location of the treasures . These maps could also be sold during their validity and they would go poof when the treasure despawns .

Of course there are still many more ideas to create an interesting cartography trade skill which, by the way, would be rather unique because there is sofar no game providing that . Personally I would of course take up a cartographer trade skill if it existed in Pantheon :)

• 1468 posts
    May 11, 2017 10:40 AM PDT

Ceythos said:

Dreconic said:

Nolvu said:

I tend to think that the way to make in-game maps useful is to introduce some random element to the system. That way websites and other third party tools won't be able to map everything but player made maps, if they are of good quality, would be able to show some of that randomness. Thus people who just want to get from A to B in a zone can just look at websites but players who want to find all the secrets in a zone will have to use player maps in order to find them all. The point is that these secret areas should change over time to be in random locations otherwise over a period of time third party mapping sites will just show all the available locations and players just have to run from one point to the next point to see where the secrets area.

If a player produces a map that shows a secret the map should only be valid for a couple of days and then the location will shift again. This should combat the ability for third party mapping sites to show all the information about a zone on a website somewhere.

• 238 posts
    May 11, 2017 11:44 AM PDT

Ceythos said:

As I said in the map making discussion I just don’t think cartographer will work as a crafting class if it’s just a way of making maps. If you take out the roleplaying aspect and just look at it from a gaming standpoint it would be very hard to make something worthwhile after the first few people progress. How is the tenth mapmaker or hundredth cartographer valuable unless you are on the very newest zones? If I start the game a year after launch there may be need for lower level crafted swords and food but maps?  Imagine if I’m totally new to Gfay and someone tells me they want to meet at Crushbone. I could somehow buy a map in game or look up the map in roughly 15 seconds on google. Let’s say for a sec it’s impossible to look up maps online, even then having a map is very much something most could probably live without.
    I for one look forward to figuring out things myself but if it come to a point that I need to know something I tell you right now if there is a free option and a purchasable option it’s not even a choice at that point.

I would hate for VR to spend time and resources on a crafting class that’s in my opinion have very little long term use.

Now as some have said that maybe you make maps that show secret and such but again unless the map is required to gain the secret you are just going to have people use google, or just ask a guildy or group mate.