Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Farming

• 1584 posts
    March 30, 2017 8:04 AM PDT

Hey guys, i play ARK a lot, and i was wondering if maybe we could be able to grow our own crops, not a ton of it to sustain us in anyway or form but enough to at least know if we took care of them we could have some to maybe make like 20 vials or something like this, but i would want it to be something also to wear you just don't plant the seed and log off and come back in x amount of time and have plants to pick either, i would like it to be interactive and if the plants doe needs something and you didn't do it in lets say 2 hours or so the plant dies( saying 2 hours so you could safely grind in sungeons and know your plants would be okay for at least 2 hours without worry of them dying to make it frustrating). i was only thinking of this becuase like if im an alchemy person i rem in EQ is was expensive kinda to make some of them but if you had the cash you could literally pay yourself to skill level 300 which honestly imo is way to easy, i would want to be able to build a farm and grow the plants i want to make potions or even poisons out of and keep doing it til i gained enough skill in it.  Now i say these seeds for low level potions/poisons could be store bought, but the stronger the ingredients the higher lvl the mobs and rarer to find.  I hope you guys like this idea

• 18 posts
    November 9, 2017 6:26 AM PST

Was thinking about farming, as in growing crops etc.  For consumables or other crafting materials.  Herb gardens, etc - a small piece of the player driven economy.  

Perhaps it could fit in with player housing/guild housing in some way.  Fertile land areas vs baron land areas, could all feed into land values and demand.  Real estate bubbles!   Banking!  haha... The mind wanders a bit too much.  

I'd prefer there be no hourly type 'hard' timer elements - for example, you must log in or your efforts are for nothing.  A second job, no one wants!  A week or a few days would be more acceptable, depending on the relative rewards provided.  

• 334 posts
    November 9, 2017 12:50 PM PST

/forage ?

Though expanding the forage option with parameters could add to different loot tables, like "/forage seed" and get an acorn, or "/forage mushroom" and get a fly agaric

• 1785 posts
    November 9, 2017 4:48 PM PST

I'd love to see this as part of a housing/player city system (and it's been discussed even) - here's the thread:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6938/farmville-in-pantheon

• 6 posts
    December 31, 2017 10:38 PM PST

Just saying, rping a master farmer would be so comfy. I know I'm not alone with that.

• 12 posts
    January 4, 2018 11:05 PM PST

If farms are associated with Guildhalls and not player housing then a guild could work together to maintain their farm during odd times when there are too few members on to do any real group adventuring. This would allow for longer growing cycles, but increased yields over a small farming plot. Instead of some games where you might grow over the course of 10-15 minutes or as long as a couple hours you could have crops that take days to grow, with the quality and yield improving with better tending. With it being a guild effort, different classes could learn different abilities that would help with the tending and harvesting. Druids could accelerate growth, a warrior could learn a skill to till the earth better with their superior strength and even Necromancers could hasten decay to produce better fertalizer.

Aquiring the seeds to produce crops that are needed for more "epic" crafting should require a lot of work, and potentially only produce a single round of the crop as the conditions for producing a sustainable crop can't be met outside the plants native environment. More "normal" crops that produce ingredients that may be needed in a large veriety of recipies (especially cooking recipies) should be easier to obtain the seed for, and allow the guild to continuously grow the crop if they wish. (Although a mechanic that rewards crop rotation wouldn't be a bad thing.)