Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Thoughts on counterspell/interrupt?

• 12 posts
    March 11, 2017 6:03 PM PST

In Vanguard, only casters could counterspell, and they had to have a high skill level to ID the spell first. Bad things could happen if no one ID'd a spell that had to get countered. Can't say I remember all those Varking wipes fondly, but it made counterspelling a special ability and seemed appropriate for casters.

In other games, everyone can see what a mob is casting and every class has an interrupt.

These are opposite ends of the spectrum. Where do you think Pantheon will end up? Do you have a preference? I like the idea of making it a specialty in keeping with the class interdependence idea, but it should be more reliable than the VG system imo.

• 107 posts
    March 11, 2017 6:09 PM PST

I like it to be a caster ability for the exact same reason Jakson, but I also enjoyed that you could do everything right on some Vg mobs and still wipe, so I'm obviously a bit deranged.

• 668 posts
    March 11, 2017 6:30 PM PST
    I am hoping that there are a lot of counter abilities that lesson the damage a group would take.  So not necessarily just casters, I would like to see multiple classes have unique abilities to counter a wide variety of mob skills.  Obviously, the more you miss these counters, the harder your group or raid gets damaged.  One of the interesting concepts I have heard about the development of Pantheon is the situational elements.  I.E. -  even though you can beat a skeleton with sharp weapons, you could have killed it much faster if everyone would have used their blunt weapons.  Or..  Even though you beat the Fire Priest and had 20% health left, you could have moved on much quicker if your group countered some of the fire abilities it casted against you.
    • 85 posts
    March 12, 2017 5:05 AM PDT

Bring back Reflect spell.. In VG sorcs has counter and reflect, PSI has counter and like a counter spell but gives mana to the PSI, forgot how necros did it... but they had counter spell also...

• 288 posts
    March 12, 2017 9:48 AM PDT

I  like counters and reactives, I just don't want them to go too far with them.  I have friends who are handicap IRL and MMORPG's are a way for them to live vicariously through their avatar, and a lot of newer games are simply unplayable for them because of how fast/reactionary/twitch they are.  Just don't go too far with it.. maybe a little more than EQ.

• 49 posts
    March 12, 2017 7:12 PM PDT

I love the idea of being unable to tell what spell is being cast, due to lack of magical knowledge. I've not really experienced that in a game before, as I only played Vanguard to the end of the tutorial (and very late in its life).

At this point I don't think Pantheon could possibly take this idea "too far" for me. Diablo Identifying items, Morrowing creating spells, Magicka mixing elements... I've definitely not hit the point of diminishing returns for complex magical systems, and this specific idea seems to add complexity in exactly the right places.

A mirror image of this idea could be applied to melee; skillful melee classes have "stances" that counter certain specific tactics used by a given enemy. Catfoot stance dodges Minotaur axes more adroitly, Fencing stance fends off skillful strikes more often. Casters here are SOL, and take full damage from all (like melee are vulnerable to unknown spells).

• 2886 posts
    March 13, 2017 5:31 AM PDT

From the FAQ: "With Pantheon, combat will still be action-packed and require close attention, using tactics, as well as reacting to what mobs and other players may be doing. In fact, so much will be going on that you will not want to have to worry about whether you are swinging your sword or not -- you will be casting spells, assuming stances, countering or deflecting your opponent’s moves and spells, and more." "The player will have enough time to react to what the NPC is doing (counterspell, deflect, move out of the way, etc.). Combat is more involved and the player will need to pay attention, but it is not ‘twitch’ in the way a first-person shooter is."

Please see the discussion in these threads:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5518/counterspells-and-activatable-ripostes-parries

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4671/reactive-attacks-amp-counter-attacks-amp-con-system