Forums » Crafting and Gathering

The Housing Market

• 6 posts
    February 22, 2017 7:43 AM PST

So I recently play ESO for a short stint and couldn't help but notice that a large portion of the player items being sold were home furnishings. Now to each his own but when one of the driving forces behind a economy is a nightstand it feels a little underwhelming. However, I can see value in a guild hall where it is a group effort as well it has a purpose. What do you think?

• 626 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:58 AM PST

I think later down the road this could be interesting as an additional part of the game, but as I understand it the Guild Hall's may be more of a "Wagon" of sorts or Smaller Outposts to place down for the Guild to use. Maybe to help store or Transport gear and things for the Guild to use in certain areas of Pantheon. 

PS - Not sure if the Wagon idea has been made yet, but I may need to explore that. A Guild Wagon to pull around with the guild to Raid Entrances or something to hold extra items and have crafting Mat's and such to save people from having to run back to a city to get gear or mat's to craft a potion for the raid and such... I like where I'm going with this haha. Then again maybe a small pop-up Outpost could provide the same benefits.

• 422 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:08 AM PST

It depends a lot on item availability. Items in ESO fall like rain. They are easily crafted by everyone. That part of the game is mature. Also, the gear is all standardized. Everything drops every piece of gear. The market is entirely saturated.

Housing is a recent addition to ESO so it has become the focus since the market for anything else ha slong since dried up. Once ESO adds more content and ups the level cap that will change.

In games like EQ, where items can be more rare and drop only off specific npcs which are heavily contetsted, items hold much more value for much longer and tend to be rarer. 

It will really depend a lot on how Pantheon handles gear and dropped items.

I for one would like to see a larger market for crafted items, rather than huge demand for drops. I would love to see crafting become the core of the gear game.

• 9115 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:22 PM PST

dumpsterlove said:

So I recently play ESO for a short stint and couldn't help but notice that a large portion of the player items being sold were home furnishings. Now to each his own but when one of the driving forces behind a economy is a nightstand it feels a little underwhelming. However, I can see value in a guild hall where it is a group effort as well it has a purpose. What do you think?

This is only the case due to ESO releasing a housing expansion recently, so it is a hot topic and everyone is excited to try it out, once it settles down those items will no longer be top sellers, I just wanted to clarify that to give everyone a better understanding of why this is the case at the moment.

• 173 posts
    February 23, 2017 6:34 AM PST

dumpsterlove said:

As Kilsin mentioned, any shiney new toy will get a lot of attention.  To give an example I found a little while ago:

When FFXIV introduced airships, I was levling a botanist.  I simply could not harvest flax fast enough to keep up with the demand.  I ended up stopping all my crafting and other stuff and for a week straight did nothing more than harvest and sell flax.  I made over 10 million gil that week.

Point being, as you suggested if that were all the game were about it would be quite underwhelming.  However as everbody got thier fix the demand dropped off and things got back to "normal".  I do understand your concern however as spending a week doing nothing but  harvesting 1 thing made me about wanna puke lol.

• 77 posts
    February 23, 2017 1:19 PM PST

Kilsin said:

dumpsterlove said:

This is only the case due to ESO releasing a housing expansion recently, so it is a hot topic and everyone is excited to try it out, once it settles down those items will no longer be top sellers, I just wanted to clarify that to give everyone a better understanding of why this is the case at the moment.

Also, who doesn't like to play susiehomemaker.