Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Onward!

• 578 posts
    February 22, 2017 2:21 AM PST

Just wanted to say to all the devs in VRi...keep up the good work!

I just want to remind everybody of where this game started at and where it is now. The gaming landscape can be brutal and unforgiving where a dev's reputation sticks to them like mud. I don't think the failure that was Vanguard's release will ever be forgotten from people's minds and is something Brad will have to deal with for the rest of his career (even if Pantheon is successful).

I think I pledged to Pantheon back in early or mid 2015 and I was absolutely THRILLED to hear of Brad developing a new MMO. Out of the last 18 years of playing around a dozen MMOs I have probably played EQ1 and VG about 10 of those years so you can see why I was happy to hear about Brad's news. But while I was excited many others were less than thrilled to hear about Pantheon's kickstarter. Many people were still clinging on to VG's release and believed Pantheon didn't stand a chance with Brad being involved.

Without going back through all the drama and mishaps surrounding VG's launch and Pantheon's failed Kickstarter it appeared Pantheon might suffer the same fate as VG and not get a proper development and possibly not even see the light of day. But here we are in February of 2017 and Pantheon's development is running strong. I am loving the art direction and even though the team is not going for graphics that require bleeding edge tech I have a good feeling the graphics will be great for a modern MMO. I have followed other MMOs in current development, ones that have had successful kickstarters with millions of $$, and even in their final stages of development their graphics just aren't to the standard as Pantheon's. The VRi team is adding new members while the old members continue to plug away.

I just think that from where Pantheon started with its Kickstarter to having to rebuild some of the team to rebooting the game on to Unity that the team and community should be highly pleased with where the game is at today. I don't know if I can speak for the entire community so maybe others will chime in but I'd like to tell the team to keep up the good work.

Onward!!

• 2886 posts
    February 22, 2017 5:17 AM PST

And upward!

• 9115 posts
    February 22, 2017 5:35 AM PST

Thanks Noobie, the team appreciates it a lot :)

• 129 posts
    February 22, 2017 7:10 AM PST

Man, this makes me feel like the absolute pecimist. Great post NoobieDoo!

• 2752 posts
    February 22, 2017 11:08 AM PST

Here, here! I for one, have full faith in VRs decisions as they have shown time and time again to be entirely on point. I never blamed Vanguards poor release on Brad as I knew the externals he had to deal with, the same as I never blamed Warhammer's fail on Marc Jacobs as he was similarly screwed by EA. 

So so glad VR is beholden to none of the big publishers. 

Keep up the amazing work VR! And special kudos to you Kilsin for keeping your cool while having to moderate over the same topics and questions day in and day out, you're killing it. 

• 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 11:14 AM PST

NoobieDoo said:

I don't know if I can speak for the entire community so maybe others will chime in but I'd like to tell the team to keep up the good work.

<-------- *chimes in*

VR <3

• 578 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:24 PM PST

Iksar said:

Here, here! I for one, have full faith in VRs decisions as they have shown time and time again to be entirely on point. I never blamed Vanguards poor release on Brad as I knew the externals he had to deal with, the same as I never blamed Warhammer's fail on Marc Jacobs as he was similarly screwed by EA. 

Keep up the amazing work VR! And special kudos to you Kilsin for keeping your cool while having to moderate over the same topics and questions day in and day out, you're killing it. 

+1

Yeah, I try not to bother myself with the gossip. People make mistakes and all you can ask of them is to learn from them and try to not make the same mistakes over. Especially in game development. There is no real concrete science on how to develop a game. People are trying new things all of the time and some times these things don't work out.

I feel like the way the team is handling PRF that some credit may be due to VG when all is said and done. Especially WHEN PRF is a big success. ;) I feel like extra care is being placed on making sure PRF is managed properly and developed right. That the right people are in the right positions and that nothing is being rushed.

• 9115 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:34 PM PST

Iksar said:

Thank you, Sir :)

• 221 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:40 PM PST

Thanks Noobie, great post!   

• VR Staff
    • 31 posts
    February 22, 2017 5:57 PM PST

NoobieDoo said:

Just wanted to say to all the devs in VRi...keep up the good work!

[snip]

Onward!!

NoobieDoo - many thanks for the kind words and relentless support.  Like most things worth doing, making an MMO is difficult.  And complex.  And expensive.  And stressful.  But this team's passion and talent, combined with support and encouragement from people like you make it not only worth it, but make it a joy.  We can't wait to share Pantheon with you!

Onward!

• 60 posts
    February 24, 2017 6:08 PM PST

Thanks you for the wonderful message NoobieDoo!

• 3016 posts
    February 26, 2017 1:45 PM PST

Yes there have been bumps and dips in the road..but I had a strong sense that McQuaid and team would prevail, otherwise I wouldn't have stuck around.    Pantheon is steadily gaining momentum,  new VR team members coming on board..lots of pledging going on. The win at MMORPG.com   COHH streaming voluntarily 3 hours plus of gameplay in Pantheon...its all good, its all great. :)    This game will be my new home for certain. :)

Cana