Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafted weapons / equipment

• 21 posts
    February 2, 2017 12:14 AM PST

I just had a thought on how to create truly epic equipment.

Apart from resources to be gathered, and maybe a special place to craft it, an ancient forge in a dungeon for instance, what makes a weapon truly legendary is what you do with it. So maybe you could craft this special, really good sword. But to make it "The Dragonslayer", you would have to, well, actually kill a dragon with said sword for instance.

The basic idea is to upgrade crafted items through achievements with them, not solely through further crafting (gems, enchantments, runes, what have you). These achievments could be linked to the perception feature of each class. Maybe you could only learn the ritual to create the "Fist of the gods" (2handed hammer for pallies) through prayer.

I think that's kinda cool, just throwing ideas around :-)

This post was edited by sebbulba at February 2, 2017 2:21 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 2, 2017 1:22 AM PST

That is a pretty cool idea :)

• 21 posts
    February 2, 2017 2:27 AM PST

Kilsin said:

That is a pretty cool idea :)

Right?

And it would perfectly work with other systems and features you presented. Imagine... A sword handed down to your progeny, increasing it's power even further... Like a family heirloom B-)

• 780 posts
    February 2, 2017 4:39 AM PST

sebbulba said:

Apart from resources to be gathered, and maybe a special place to craft it, an ancient forge in a dungeon for instance, what makes a weapon truly legendary is what you do with it. So maybe you could craft this special, really good sword. But to make it "The Dragonslayer", you would have to, well, actually kill a dragon with said sword for instance.

The basic idea is to upgrade crafted items through achievements with them, not solely through further crafting (gems, enchantments, runes, what have you). These achievments could be linked to the perception feature of each class. Maybe you could only learn the ritual to create the "Fist of the gods" (2handed hammer for pallies) through prayer.

I've seen stuff like that done as a part of a quest, but never where a weapon changes completely from killing a mob.  It's an interesting idea.  Would you need to actually land the killing blow?  Would there be a specific dragon to kill?  Or just any dragon?  And would every sword that kills that dragon become 'The Dragonslayer'?

EDIT: Typo

This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 2, 2017 4:39 AM PST
    • 78 posts
    February 2, 2017 5:31 AM PST

I instantly thought of the Shadowmourne questline with your suggestion sebbubla - which was an awesome!

• 6 posts
    February 2, 2017 5:41 AM PST

why not make the sword unable to be repaired (or have limited repairability). However during the sword lifespan, it would store xp based on the opponent.

when analysing a sword that has been used, a blacksmith would be able to identify the weakness of the sword and would try to correct it in the future.

that way, a sword that was used to kill a dragon could give an hint about how to make a sword that would be good enough to kill two dragon in a row. leading, after many sword being crafted and used, to the legendary "dragonslayer" when enough dragon has been killed.

that would also mean that there could be a trade for crafted weapon to be create not only to buy a new sword but also sell your damaged sword as it would allow the blacksmith to gain crafting experience.

This post was edited by Athenir at February 2, 2017 5:43 AM PST
    • 21 posts
    February 2, 2017 5:41 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

sebbulba said:

I've seen stuff like that done as a part of a quest, but never where a weapon changes completely from killing a mob.  It's an interesting idea.  Would you need to actually land the killing blow?  Would there be a specific dragon to kill?  Or just any dragon?  And would every sword that kills that dragon become 'The Dragonslayer'?

EDIT: Typo

the way I envision it:

- it's not really a part of a quest, more a way of just improving a specific weapon (so no, not any sword can become the Dragonslayer). You should learn of it through exploring, reading, or using your perception skills, or just by finding something that points in that direciton.

- the conditions are completely up to the devs. Killing a dragon is just an example. Maybe you have to fulfill a prophecy, a ritual. That may entail killing certain mobs, or going to specific places, doing specific things there. I imagine a ritual where you have to convince your whole group to kill themselves within 5 seconds at a certain sacrifical site at midnight or whatever.

• 21 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:10 AM PST

Athenir said:

why not make the sword unable to be repaired (or have limited repairability). However during the sword lifespan, it would store xp based on the opponent.

when analysing a sword that has been used, a blacksmith would be able to identify the weakness of the sword and would try to correct it in the future.

that way, a sword that was used to kill a dragon could give an hint about how to make a sword that would be good enough to kill two dragon in a row. leading, after many sword being crafted and used, to the legendary "dragonslayer" when enough dragon has been killed.

that would also mean that there could be a trade for crafted weapon to be create not only to buy a new sword but also sell your damaged sword as it would allow the blacksmith to gain crafting experience.

That, to me at least, sounds too grindy.

• 780 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:47 AM PST

sebbulba said:

the way I envision it:

- it's not really a part of a quest, more a way of just improving a specific weapon (so no, not any sword can become the Dragonslayer). You should learn of it through exploring, reading, or using your perception skills, or just by finding something that points in that direciton.

- the conditions are completely up to the devs. Killing a dragon is just an example. Maybe you have to fulfill a prophecy, a ritual. That may entail killing certain mobs, or going to specific places, doing specific things there. I imagine a ritual where you have to convince your whole group to kill themselves within 5 seconds at a certain sacrifical site at midnight or whatever.

That all definitely sounds like questing to me, man.  I still like the idea, but I think it's basically a quest.

• 21 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:54 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

sebbulba said:

the way I envision it:

That all definitely sounds like questing to me, man.  I still like the idea, but I think it's basically a quest.

Sure it's a quest of some sorts, but I don't want it to be called that way, OKAY???? :-D

And I certainly don't want it to show up in your quest log

• 780 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:02 AM PST

Haha, fair enough.  That brings a question to mind, though.  I wonder if perception will also be something you can use on your items, kind of like how Identify worked in EverQuest.  Maybe when you inspect an item, you get more (or less) information about its history and its qualities based on your perception skill.  Maybe at a certain perception skill level, you'd inspect the sword and get a hint that it might be perfect for killing a certain dragon, and/or that there could be some benefit to using it to kill a certain dragon.

• 2886 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:11 AM PST

sebbulba said:

Shucklighter said:

sebbulba said:

the way I envision it:

Sure it's a quest of some sorts, but I don't want it to be called that way, OKAY???? :-D

And I certainly don't want it to show up in your quest log

Lol because that would just be ridiculous! :P

The method of progession you've described is basically what's already in-game with the perception system. With the way the perception system is looking, it's kinda redefining "quests" altogether. Your idea is good, and no matter what you call it, it seems pretty similar to the way almost any story or action will develop in Pantheon. This sort of thing will actually probably be the norm rather than the exception. With the perception system, things happen much more organically and are not unidirectional. If perception cues are involved, they will be recorded in the Tome of Keeping, but steps to move forward will have to be deduced by the player. Whether or not there will be a dragonslayer sword is anyone's guess, but as you said, that's just an example. Either way, you can rest assured the devs are already way ahead of you with this style of progression :)

Shucklighter said:

Haha, fair enough.  That brings a question to mind, though.  I wonder if perception will also be something you can use on your items, kind of like how Identify worked in EverQuest.  Maybe when you inspect an item, you get more (or less) information about its history and its qualities based on your perception skill.  Maybe at a certain perception skill level, you'd inspect the sword and get a hint that it might be perfect for killing a certain dragon, and/or that there could be some benefit to using it to kill a certain dragon.

Like I said, it's anyone's guess as to how much the perception system will tie in to items and weapons and such, but I gotta think it will. That would seem like a big oversight. There's plenty of opportunities to open up stories by inspecting an item.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 2, 2017 7:13 AM PST
    • 11 posts
    February 2, 2017 8:24 PM PST

sebbulba said:

Reminds me of clerics in EQ could summon a pretty sweet hammer, that would dissapear about 15 minutes after logging out

Hammer of Damnation MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE TEMPORARY PLACEABLE
    Slot: PRIMARY
    Skill: 1H Blunt Atk Delay: 18
    DMG: 14 Dmg Bonus: 26 AC: 10
    Bane DMG: Undead +12
    DEX: +25 WIS: +10 HP: +65 MANA: +65
    SV MAGIC: +5
    Required level of 60.
    Effect: Hand of the Gods I (Combat, Casting Time: Instant)
    WT: 0.1 Size: SMALL
    Class: CLR
    Race: ALL

Could be something like that with crafting, to craft a sweet weapon that dissapeared after logging. Forcing you to get materials for another one

• 284 posts
    February 2, 2017 9:02 PM PST

Just as a heads up OP Kilsin was trolling you, there is basically a system they described in the latest livestream that is similar to what you're describing. There was a forge that was so hot you needed to acclimate yourself to (using their climate system) before you could use it. Some stuff you can only craft there, although they said it would be sellable.

• 21 posts
    February 3, 2017 1:10 AM PST

Jimmayus said:

Just as a heads up OP Kilsin was trolling you, there is basically a system they described in the latest livestream that is similar to what you're describing. There was a forge that was so hot you needed to acclimate yourself to (using their climate system) before you could use it. Some stuff you can only craft there, although they said it would be sellable.

And how is he trolling me that way? My main suggestion was that upgrading weapons should also happen by certain achievements while wielding them.

• 284 posts
    February 3, 2017 7:07 PM PST

Oh when he said "that's a good idea" I believe it was in reference to the special crafting zones you mentioned in the OP, "good" because it is already implemented in Pantheon. 

• 24 posts
    February 4, 2017 5:29 AM PST

Good idea on crafting weapons for a type of mob but how about if the weapon had gem/rune slots.

Some of the slots could be of general use to place stat like gems/runes (str, Mana, ...) and other slots are for gems off a named mob that give the weapon bonuses to that type of mob or non-stat abilities like thunder bolt strike, levitate or teleport.

The weapon could be crafted for a specific named mob gem/rune or a for any named mob's gem/rune.

• 3 posts
    February 5, 2017 5:13 PM PST

Following on some of the points, perhaps using a unique shard (rare or hard to acquire) that is a remenant of the old worlds to be used to reforge the weapon. It could open up a hidden feat or requirement ( such as killing specific named or rare mobs). The shards would then take on a trait that could be an added stat boost. 

• 294 posts
    February 7, 2017 12:39 PM PST

sebbulba said:

Awesome idea Sebbulba. The weapon could be imbued with a special crafted essence which would in turn, draw special powers from the creature slain.

Very nice. There are a hundred directions you could go with this and all of them leave my mouth watering for more.

• 2886 posts
    February 7, 2017 12:57 PM PST

Klumpedge said:

sebbulba said:

Awesome idea Sebbulba. The weapon could be imbued with a special crafted essence which would in turn, draw special powers from the creature slain.

Very nice. There are a hundred directions you could go with this and all of them leave my mouth watering for more.

That's intriguing. This could be done with a lot of weapons. EverQuest recently implemented something called Banestrike where you channel the spirits of slain foes. Basically, the more things you kill, the more powerful it gets and it keeps track of the type of mobs killed. So the more you kill of a certain type of mob, the faster you are able to kill that type. 

This sort of thing could be applied to a weapon. For example, if you use a particular sword to kill a bunch of goblins, that sword gains Goblin-bane and becomes bloodthirsty for goblins. Therefore, that weapon has bonus damage vs. goblins. It's an insatiable thirst and the more it kills, the more it wants (the more damage it does). Perhaps you even have to keep feeding it to maintain the bonus. Maybe you have another axe that has Orcbane. The same goes for undead, dragons, etc. Perhaps there is some sort of ritual or enchantment that has to be done to the weapon to allow it to store the energy of the foes it kills.

• 2138 posts
    February 7, 2017 4:00 PM PST

I really like this idea and maybe adding to it, an existing mechanic in crafting skills where you have to make x amount of combines to get a skill up could instead be aplied to "killing" mechanic where x amount of "kills" give it a banestrike instead of a skill up, or a "kill up" as it were.

I think this would make "new" or "unsullied" weapons made by a crafter more valuable- because the buyer would have the opportunity to  think about what beasty they want to speclaize the weapon in, while at the same time allowing them time to try the weapon out in use on various beasties to see how it handles while at the same time ogling the inherent stats/saves and effects.

Likewise it would make trading of the weapon valuable because it would show how close to a banestrike of a certain beasty it was. So if- like in DnD, a blunt weapon was better on skeletons, but a rogue took a dagger and only "killed up" on skeletons making the dagger good on skeletons, but not as good a blunt this would be particularly useful for a mage whose best weapon skill was in daggers and needed something for skeletons but was no good in blunt.

• 780 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:56 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

...EverQuest recently implemented something called Banestrike where you channel the spirits of slain foes. Basically, the more things you kill, the more powerful it gets and it keeps track of the type of mobs killed. So the more you kill of a certain type of mob, the faster you are able to kill that type. 

This sort of thing could be applied to a weapon. For example, if you use a particular sword to kill a bunch of goblins, that sword gains Goblin-bane and becomes bloodthirsty for goblins. Therefore, that weapon has bonus damage vs. goblins. It's an insatiable thirst and the more it kills, the more it wants (the more damage it does). Perhaps you even have to keep feeding it to maintain the bonus. Maybe you have another axe that has Orcbane. The same goes for undead, dragons, etc. Perhaps there is some sort of ritual or enchantment that has to be done to the weapon to allow it to store the energy of the foes it kills.

I have to say that Banestrike sounds awesome to me.  I also definitely like this idea of crafters forging a weapon with sort of a blank bane enchantment and the first person who uses the weapon being able to choose the bane by what he kills first.  Pretty cool.

• 17 posts
    February 8, 2017 11:11 AM PST

I love the idea of certain pieces of equipment being able to be passed on to your progeny.  When progeny was mentioned I was REALLY hoping for something like this. It really adds to RP and makes a very immersive element. It can also allow you to work on the item and continually improve it across multiple characters. But would there be a level cap or something so that your level 1 can't suddenly equip this amazing, epic item and mow through the first few levels? Or would it be something that scaled with level? Or does it possibly get depowered somehow and had to be repowered through crafting?

I'm really liking that heriloom item idea and I think it would get people really attached to their characters and their character's legacy but I'm curious as to thoughts about implementation. Or am I totally off base with what you were shooting at?

• 21 posts
    February 9, 2017 7:25 AM PST

Lazzul said:

I love the idea of certain pieces of equipment being able to be passed on to your progeny.  When progeny was mentioned I was REALLY hoping for something like this. It really adds to RP and makes a very immersive element. It can also allow you to work on the item and continually improve it across multiple characters. But would there be a level cap or something so that your level 1 can't suddenly equip this amazing, epic item and mow through the first few levels? Or would it be something that scaled with level? Or does it possibly get depowered somehow and had to be repowered through crafting?

I'm really liking that heriloom item idea and I think it would get people really attached to their characters and their character's legacy but I'm curious as to thoughts about implementation. Or am I totally off base with what you were shooting at?

Well, thinking of it, why not both. Let's say, you have to create the heirloom or have it created with the origin character first. If you pass it on, it can serve as your levelling weapon (scaling up to maxlevel). As soon as you reach maxlevel, it breaks or gets cursed or whatever. Then you have to recraft or cleanse or whatever it to its former glory, making it more powerful than it was. If you decide to pass it on to another "offspring", this can be repeated, making the weapon more and more powerful with every iteration.

This way, the heirloom gets more and more powerful the longer it "runs in the family". But still, at a pretty high cost (as far as I understood, you needed to "retire" your maxlevel character permanently to benefit from the progeny system, and therefore, the heirloom system).