Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafting epics!

• 780 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:09 PM PST

Hmmm, what if we have it so the epic guide/recipe book could be equipped?  You could give it a +success rate passive (and stats if you must, but I'd rather not), and let it be carried in either hand or whatever sort of ranged/accessory slot PRF has.  The appearance could be a really nice, ancient-looking, leather-bound book.  When you complete the quest you receive the book as your reward, and the epic recipes go straight into your catalog (but also can be read in the book).  Sort of a combination of some of the ideas we have here.

EDIT: And of course, the different trades would have different-looking books.  Different colors, sizes, states of openness, etc.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 2, 2017 6:12 PM PST
    • 97 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:18 PM PST

kellindil said:

Lets just assume we know how crafting works and its close to what EQ is, this is so the stats on the item make sense.

Epic crafting items might be:

"Anvil of Oldassa" SLOT: Range, Ammo, Primary, Secondary

+50 Int

+50 str

+50 smithing skill

+5% success rate

Affect (Triggered): 

"Khazas' Gift"

+100 Int, +50 smithing skill, +10% success rate

15% chance to return all materials upon success

Duration: 10 minutes

Recast Timer: 120 minutes

This would be a rather epic item for a crafter assuming we are using EQ's crafting as a basis. It wouln't be a terrible item to have equiped as a stat stick either.

Putting any stats on a crafting epic that would help adventuring at all will draw massive complaining from non crafters.  Imagine if they put that on a direlord epic.  Any smith that isnt a direlord would be fuming, and rightfully so.  I am not a fan of overly mixing the spheres.  In VG, attributes went up to 990 cap for the most part and crafting items with adv stats were from +2 to +8 I believe.  Not enough to be must haves for the adv spere to be up in arms over. 

• 213 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:35 PM PST

Gragorie said:

kellindil said:

Lets just assume we know how crafting works and its close to what EQ is, this is so the stats on the item make sense.

Epic crafting items might be:

"Anvil of Oldassa" SLOT: Range, Ammo, Primary, Secondary

+50 Int

+50 str

+50 smithing skill

+5% success rate

Affect (Triggered): 

"Khazas' Gift"

+100 Int, +50 smithing skill, +10% success rate

15% chance to return all materials upon success

Duration: 10 minutes

Recast Timer: 120 minutes

This would be a rather epic item for a crafter assuming we are using EQ's crafting as a basis. It wouln't be a terrible item to have equiped as a stat stick either.

Putting any stats on a crafting epic that would help adventuring at all will draw massive complaining from non crafters.  Imagine if they put that on a direlord epic.  Any smith that isnt a direlord would be fuming, and rightfully so.  I am not a fan of overly mixing the spheres.  In VG, attributes went up to 990 cap for the most part and crafting items with adv stats were from +2 to +8 I believe.  Not enough to be must haves for the adv spere to be up in arms over. 

yeah the stats would have to relate to crafting only more than likely but it's not like that's a terrible thing.  It's still an advantage for people who've completed their epics in what they can make and it's value.

• 780 posts
    February 2, 2017 10:23 PM PST

Maybe the items the epic recipes create could have your name?  You're one of the best smiths (or whatever) in the history of Terminus, no?  So, instead of a Thorny Steel Breastplate you could make Shucklighter's Breastplate.  Maybe you could have a bit more control over how the item turns out than crafters who haven't completed the quest  Maybe you can make one with more Strenth, or one with more Wisdom, or whatever, but they are all Shucklighter's Breastplate.    I dunno.  Hard to discuss bits like that without knowing how the crafting system will work in the first place.

• 97 posts
    February 3, 2017 1:03 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

Maybe the items the epic recipes create could have your name?  You're one of the best smiths (or whatever) in the history of Terminus, no?  So, instead of a Thorny Steel Breastplate you could make Shucklighter's Breastplate.  Maybe you could have a bit more control over how the item turns out than crafters who haven't completed the quest  Maybe you can make one with more Strenth, or one with more Wisdom, or whatever, but they are all Shucklighter's Breastplate.    I dunno.  Hard to discuss bits like that without knowing how the crafting system will work in the first place.

That would be cool, but items need to be created and named in database, and doing that for what could be tens of thousands of items would be alot of work. 

• 780 posts
    February 3, 2017 4:27 PM PST

Ah, okay.  Hmmm...a lot of the pledges come with item renaming vouchers.  I wonder how those work and whether it would be possible for an epic recipe book to have unlimited charges of 'item rename' that could only be used on items you crafted?  I dunno if we really want that anyway.  Could definitely be a pain policing all of the item names.