Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafting epics!

• 213 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:34 AM PST

In addition to having to level our skills to mastery ...how cool would it be to acquire items to help us with that? I'm not saying I want to craft epics I want quests  which lead to say an epic fishing pole, or an epic sewing kit, cooking pot, etc!  Thoughts?

This post was edited by Gamerchick at January 31, 2017 10:36 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    January 31, 2017 11:07 AM PST

Lol when I first read the title, I was not expecting to see a suggestion for an epic sewing kit :P

I think that's a pretty cool idea though. I can definitely see some epic fishing pole that was used by a legendary fisherman who used it to reel in a mythical sea monster. And it would of course grant you bonuses to fishing when using it. No doubt there'd have to be a ton of fishing involved in the quest to acquire it. Although hopeful they would somehow incorporate a fair amount of fighting in the quest too so that there is more risk involved. I'm not sure if there would be such an inspiring tale about cooking lol, but clearly VR is more creative than I am, so maybe they could think of something :P

As a side note, I don't think it would be a terrible idea if there was one item for each profession that you couldn't start to create until you were max level in that skill and collecting all the ingredients required a crafting quest that took you around the world to dangerous areas and loot materials from boss mobs. And the resulting item would be on par with other epics. But I suppose that's a different discussion for a different thread haha.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 31, 2017 11:08 AM PST
    • 213 posts
    January 31, 2017 12:03 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Lol when I first read the title, I was not expecting to see a suggestion for an epic sewing kit :P

I think that's a pretty cool idea though. I can definitely see some epic fishing pole that was used by a legendary fisherman who used it to reel in a mythical sea monster. And it would of course grant you bonuses to fishing when using it. No doubt there'd have to be a ton of fishing involved in the quest to acquire it. Although hopeful they would somehow incorporate a fair amount of fighting in the quest too so that there is more risk involved. I'm not sure if there would be such an inspiring tale about cooking lol, but clearly VR is more creative than I am, so maybe they could think of something :P

As a side note, I don't think it would be a terrible idea if there was one item for each profession that you couldn't start to create until you were max level in that skill and collecting all the ingredients required a crafting quest that took you around the world to dangerous areas and loot materials from boss mobs. And the resulting item would be on par with other epics. But I suppose that's a different discussion for a different thread haha.

I know right?  Sounds silly, but think about it like this.  A famous musician has an epic piano, a famous singer has an epic mic, a famous cook has an epic recipie book, a famous tailor has a epic clothing line, a epic fisherman has an epic fishing pole, the list does go on.  =) 

It would be another way we could progress in game apart from leveling our characters too so lets say one day you're tired of the grind you can go do this, and be refreshed while also working towards a very valuable goal and skillset.  

• 68 posts
    January 31, 2017 12:24 PM PST

I love crafting and fishing in RPG's. I like the idea of a quests to help get these items. Sounds like fun to me.

• 422 posts
    January 31, 2017 1:12 PM PST

The more "Epic" quests that take us on a long involved journey is something I am very much an advicate of. It would be awesome to need to get a group or raid together to do epic crafting related quests.

I mean, how awesome would it be to run a raid that ended in a volcanic cavern where you kill some huge fire elemental so you could use an elemental forge to create an increadibly powerful hammer used in crafting, or maybe even a weapon of power that rivals some of the top gear in the game. I might actually do crafting for more than making arrows if that were the case.

• 213 posts
    January 31, 2017 2:25 PM PST

kellindil said:

The more "Epic" quests that take us on a long involved journey is something I am very much an advicate of. It would be awesome to need to get a group or raid together to do epic crafting related quests.

I mean, how awesome would it be to run a raid that ended in a volcanic cavern where you kill some huge fire elemental so you could use an elemental forge to create an increadibly powerful hammer used in crafting, or maybe even a weapon of power that rivals some of the top gear in the game. I might actually do crafting for more than making arrows if that were the case.

So awesome!! It would be SOOOOO awesome!

• 542 posts
    January 31, 2017 2:51 PM PST

shinyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy <3  prerequisites to start the epic crafting quest-epic fishing pole

prerequisite 2000 big fishes before the quest can start?

Following the idea that you need to master the craft before you can start the epic quest.

• 780 posts
    January 31, 2017 4:16 PM PST

Pretty neat idea.  I'd love to have more meaningful quests throughout the game (particularly long chains).

• 142 posts
    January 31, 2017 6:53 PM PST

kellindil said:

In the last Twitch stream (Im drawing a blank on the dungeon name), there was a high end forge high within the walls of the dungeon. The dungeon is estimated to be in the Level 30-50 range, so this hard to reach forge may be exactly what your talking about here.

• 213 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:53 PM PST

Ohhhhhh I hope you're right , but I kinda think that might end up being just a part of the regular epic quest.  We shall see.  :-)

• 2886 posts
    February 1, 2017 9:32 AM PST

Homercles said:

kellindil said:

In the last Twitch stream (Im drawing a blank on the dungeon name), there was a high end forge high within the walls of the dungeon. The dungeon is estimated to be in the Level 30-50 range, so this hard to reach forge may be exactly what your talking about here.

Yup that was in one of the upper levels of Amberfaet. It was a small Scorching climate within a zonewide Frigid climate, so you would have to be properly acclimated before you can use that anvil for high-level crafting. It may or may not be a part of a quest at all. I think it's mostly just a special crafting station that is required to make certain powerful items. But we'll see. Either way, they've made it pretty clear that adventuring and crafting will be quite intertwined. You won't be able to just sit in town all day and level up crafting indefinitely. It will sometimes require dangerous journeys to acquire rare materials, or in this case, to even use a specific crafting station. However, I don't think that's really what the OP was talking about. VR has not gone into detail about actual quests that are solely for the purpose of crafting. The idea of doing a quest to get a tool that is then used for further crafting is pretty unique imo.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 1, 2017 9:37 AM PST
    • 97 posts
    February 1, 2017 6:22 PM PST

I want a crafting epic.  I admit the quest would be a bit different, probably involving more traveling and crafting odd, unique things for far away people.  Instead of "kill 20 of mob x" you would have "craft 20 of item y in 10 minutes".   It would be nice to be challenging too.  Perhaps maximum of item y you could craft with no problems is 22 in 10 min, so you have a slight room for error, but not much. 

I think an epic crafting final quest would be requiring a raid of crafters needing to gear up a force of npc's to kill that a boss.  Raids would be smaller since there will be fewer crafters.  So for weaponsmiths epic you might need 12 weaponsmiths all crafting weapons simultaniously to keep the npc's with weapons.  Weapons are fragile and break often, so you have to keep them stocked up.  If raid keeps npc's completrely geared up for a timed duration, you win.  If not, you fail. 

This post was edited by Gragorie at February 1, 2017 6:38 PM PST
    • 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 6:52 PM PST

What would the epic items be, though?  Would they be crafting containers?  Crafting tools?  Would they just give you a better chance at success?  Or would they have some other effects?  Some are obvious, like the fishing pole, but for other trades, it's not so simple.

• 2138 posts
    February 1, 2017 7:47 PM PST

Shuck has a good point. I can see the epic craft item would improve success  in the particular craft- that makes sense. Maybe, to make it more "horizontal" one craft could have different "epic" items and you could only have one within the skill. So like for smithing, you could achieve an epic chisel, or an epic anvil (hammer maybe best left out, everyone would want the hammer- lol) each that would offer a benefit, that would not make you jealous of the other. Tailoring: a thimble and a spool, Baking a "seasoned" cast iron dutch oven, or a chopping knife. Fletching, a planing tool or carving blade. Brewing, a corkscrew or drink strainer/absinthe spoon- maybe even a permanent ice bucket. Alchemy or potions would have the little medicine bag that hangs around the neck, or ever-burning tinder.

You could possibly force a sociability check in the epic crafting, like evidence that you gave the food/armor/drink to another PC. Like in fishing if you had caught x amount of big fish, so in the other crafts you would have to have given away 10 items to 5 individual people with no money exchanged to prove your passion- lol.

• 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 7:54 PM PST

I'm just not sure how epic the rewards are going to feel without them being visible to others.  Maybe you could have a little portable work station for your respective trade that could only be used in towns and certain other areas.

• 213 posts
    February 1, 2017 8:56 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

I'm just not sure how epic the rewards are going to feel without them being visible to others.  Maybe you could have a little portable work station for your respective trade that could only be used in towns and certain other areas.

Wouldn't they be visable when said person is using them?   But I see what you are saying,  portable sounds like a good solution but also the things crafted by an epic craft tool would be visable in its result too I would imagine, so say someone crafted a cloak from an epic sewingkit/spinningwheel or whatever the resulting item would be very unique looking from other items.  Maybe it would give an aura?  Maybe it would pulsate in color?  These are just ideas, and of course they are just hypotheticals of my original idea of Epic Crafting Tools.  But I love that you guys are thinking about how it might pan out and work in a game. Very cool!

This post was edited by Gamerchick at February 1, 2017 8:56 PM PST
    • 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 9:33 PM PST

Gamerchick said:

Shucklighter said:

Wouldn't they be visable when said person is using them?   But I see what you are saying,  portable sounds like a good solution but also the things crafted by an epic craft tool would be visable in its result too I would imagine, so say someone crafted a cloak from an epic sewingkit/spinningwheel or whatever the resulting item would be very unique looking from other items.  Maybe it would give an aura?  Maybe it would pulsate in color?  These are just ideas, and of course they are just hypotheticals of my original idea of Epic Crafting Tools.  But I love that you guys are thinking about how it might pan out and work in a game. Very cool!

I meant like...for tailoring, for example.  If your reward is an epic needle and thimble, how would anyone see you using it and know that it's epic?  But I think you've just mentioned an even better way to do it.  For fishing and other harvesting trades, you can have an epic tool that is visible when used and looks epic, but for the trades where you create items, you could be questing for an epic guide/recipe book.  Let it contain like 30 (arbitrary number...could even be more) recipes that can only be obtained that way.  So, maybe only a character that has completed the smithing epic could make Thorny Steel armor pieces.  Only a character who has completed the alchemy epic could make Elixirs of Fabricated Death.  Only a character who has completed the fletching epic could make Bonewood bows.  Only a character who has completed the jewelry epic could make Platinum Blood Diamond Wedding Rings.  Only a character who has completed the tailoring epic could make Dragonhide backpacks.  You get the picture.  Make each quest just as involved as getting an epic weapon was in EverQuest.  Maybe you have to have the tradeskill maxed and create/turn in however many of however many different items just to get started with it.  This could be a way for those who really love to craft to separate themselves from the hobbyists and those who are just crafting because it's a part of the game. 

• 213 posts
    February 1, 2017 9:39 PM PST

I meant like...for tailoring, for example.  If your reward is an epic needle and thimble, how would anyone see you using it and know that it's epic?  But I think you've just mentioned an even better way to do it.  For fishing and other harvesting trades, you can have an epic tool that is visible when used and looks epic, but for the trades where you create items, you could be questing for an epic guide/recipe book.  Let it contain like 30 (arbitrary number...could even be more) recipes that can only be obtained that way.  So, maybe only a character that has completed the smithing epic could make Thorny Steel armor pieces.  Only a character who has completed the alchemy epic could make Elixirs of Fabricated Death.  Only a character who has completed the fletching epic could make Bonewood bows.  Only a character who has completed the jewelry epic could make Platinum Blood Diamond Wedding Rings.  Only a character who has completed the tailoring epic could make Dragonhide backpacks.  You get the picture.  Make each quest just as involved as getting an epic weapon was in EverQuest.  Maybe you have to have the tradeskill maxed and create/turn in however many of however many different items just to get started with it.  This could be a way for those who really love to craft to separate themselves from the hobbyists and those who are just crafting because it's a part of the game. 

I love where you're going with that, I totally agree. Some items might only be obtained Via Epic Crafting.  " Ohhhh that person has a DragonHide Backpack!'   Result: "Who made that for you?"  "How do I start my epic Crafting quest?!"

• 422 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:20 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

Look, not to be rude or anything and this is not aimed at Shucklighter or anyone in particular, this is a big issue for me, but.....

/rant on

why are people so damned conserned about their e-peen and that other people SEE that you are "Special". The reward for doing an epic quest is the item itself and the JOURNEY. You do it for it's own sake. Not so that some random ass person who you have never met and probably will never meet knows that you spent 15 hours in an office chair guzzling Mtn Dew and eating Doritoes in a dark closet somewhere.

Play the game for the sake of playing the game and enjoying it.

/rant off

Lets just assume we know how crafting works and its close to what EQ is, this is so the stats on the item make sense.

Epic crafting items might be:

"Anvil of Oldassa" SLOT: Range, Ammo, Primary, Secondary

+50 Int

+50 str

+50 smithing skill

+5% success rate

Affect (Triggered): 

"Khazas' Gift"

+100 Int, +50 smithing skill, +10% success rate

15% chance to return all materials upon success

Duration: 10 minutes

Recast Timer: 120 minutes

This would be a rather epic item for a crafter assuming we are using EQ's crafting as a basis. It wouln't be a terrible item to have equiped as a stat stick either.

This post was edited by kellindil at February 2, 2017 7:21 AM PST
    • 21 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:37 AM PST

kellindil said:

Shucklighter said:

Look, not to be rude or anything and this is not aimed at Shucklighter or anyone in particular, this is a big issue for me, but.....

/rant on

why are people so damned conserned about their e-peen and that other people SEE that you are "Special". The reward for doing an epic quest is the item itself and the JOURNEY. You do it for it's own sake. Not so that some random ass person who you have never met and probably will never meet knows that you spent 15 hours in an office chair guzzling Mtn Dew and eating Doritoes in a dark closet somewhere.

/rant off

Lets just assume we know how crafting works and its close to what EQ is, this is so the stats on the item make sense.

+50 Int

+50 str

+50 smithing skill

+5% success rate

Affect (Triggered): 

"Khazas' Gift"

This would be a rather epic item for a crafter assuming we are using EQ's crafting as a basis. It wouln't be a terrible item to have equiped as a stat stick either.

Also, if epic crafting tools were required to craft certain more-than-epic equipment or potions or whatever, you'd have enough opportunity to rub it in everyone's face :-)

• 780 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:42 AM PST

kellindil said:

Shucklighter said:

/rant on

/rant off

+50 Int

+50 str

+50 smithing skill

+5% success rate

Affect (Triggered): 

"Khazas' Gift"

Definitely wasn't looking for any kind of e-penis status item.  I just haven't seen epic quests without visible rewards, and so I mentioned that.  It doesn't mean we couldn't have epic quest rewards that don't show up on your character model, but it's something to think about.  I also think that people have their own reasons for doing things, and that they are all valid to the individual.  Sorry to set you off.  Anyway...

Anvil of Oldassa seems like more of a combat item to me.  I have no idea how valuable 50 Strength and 50 Intellect would be, but I'm assuming since the stats are on an epic quest reward, they are meant to be significant.  This reminds me of more of a WoW item, where you're choosing your tradeskill based on what kind of self-only items you can craft at the top end to help you in combat, or at least in your exploration of the world.  I think it could do without the Intellect and Strength and maybe have the effect be permanent rather than on a long cooldown.

• 422 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:58 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

Definitely wasn't looking for any kind of e-penis status item.  I just haven't seen epic quests without visible rewards, and so I mentioned that.  It doesn't mean we couldn't have epic quest rewards that don't show up on your character model, but it's something to think about.  I also think that people have their own reasons for doing things, and that they are all valid to the individual.  Sorry to set you off.  Anyway...

Anvil of Oldassa seems like more of a combat item to me.  I have no idea how valuable 50 Strength and 50 Intellect would be, but I'm assuming since the stats are on an epic quest reward, they are meant to be significant.  This reminds me of more of a WoW item, where you're choosing your tradeskill based on what kind of self-only items you can craft at the top end to help you in combat, or at least in your exploration of the world.  I think it could do without the Intellect and Strength and maybe have the effect be permanent rather than on a long cooldown.

Seriously, that wasn't aimed at you in any way directly, and you should always feel free to share your opinions. Because someone else disagrees or doesn't under stand doesn't make anything you believe less valid. It is really just a pet peeve of mine. But thats my issue :)

As for the stats... as I said using EQ's crafting as a basis. Strength increased the amount of weight you could carry, and int/wis increases the chance of gaining a skill point in the crafting skill. So having an effective increase of 150 int would basically max out int for any character and would almost guarantee a skill increase on every combine, successful or not. Yes the stats would be beneficial in combat as well, but they do make sense from a crafting standpoint as well. If you have to clear raid targets to complete the epic quest, why shouldn't the item be at least an average item for combat.

• 780 posts
    February 2, 2017 12:07 PM PST

I recall that Intellect and Strength did those things, but they had a much greater effect on your combat proficiency...especially at these amounts.  An enchanter could complete the quest for this anvil and now the choice between Intellect and Charisma has been mostly trivialized.  Also, I'd prefer if you had to be at max smithing skill to complete your smithing epic, so you're not really worried about gaining points in smithing skill more easily.  That much strength would also be a big deal.  You could grant a dimensional bag to help you carry your smithing supplies as part of the reward instead, maybe.  I get what you are saying about combat rewards since raid encounters might be part of the quest, but it just gives me the whole 'which tradeskill has the best trinkets for my class' feeling.  I'm hoping the team will find a way to separate crafting from adventuring a bit in PRF.  I'm not holding my breath, but it's what I'd like to see. 

• 129 posts
    February 2, 2017 12:37 PM PST

I'd love to see a craftable epic to help offset things like guilds securing camps on a permanent cycle. Being able to provide this as a service to less influential guilds would go a long way in keeping the server economies vibrant and prevent sharp inflation.

• 1778 posts
    February 2, 2017 5:06 PM PST

I think FFXIV had (has?) something like this. Whatever the case I like the direction this discussion is going so dont let me get in the way ^.^

Besides Im gonna need that Epic Fishing Pole at some point so I can totally whup ass at the next fishing contest. Thats right fellow fishers!  

/challenge issued!