Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Smart phone support

• 3 posts
    January 17, 2017 6:16 PM PST
    Hi folks! Anyone know if there's plans to do a smartphone app like a character armory offline?
    • 121 posts
    January 17, 2017 7:04 PM PST

Nothing yet but not long ago a question was posed about what people felt about an out of game notification system for special events or server status so who knows what the future may bring.

• 159 posts
    January 17, 2017 7:07 PM PST

Tbh, I kinda hope not.  I'm going to be spending far too much time in Terminus when I'm not at work as it is, I don't think I'll need the distraction.  As to my gear...It hopefully won't be changing on an hourly basis and will have some accomplishment behind it so I'm sure I'll be aware what I'm using already.  

And if there was a remote auction house feature I'm sure half the player base for this game would loose their minds in outrage (while still using it :p ).

• 3 posts
    January 17, 2017 7:48 PM PST

Server status would be cool, so would special events so we wouldn't miss them.

• 1468 posts
    January 18, 2017 3:08 AM PST

It would be cool if you could chat with people in-game on your smart phone so that when you are not in-game you can still chat with guild mates.

• 9115 posts
    January 18, 2017 3:32 AM PST

We have done a google doc Q&A, polls, CM content and threads throughout these forums about a Pantheon App and the consensus is that the majority want something and it would be nice for them to chat to guildies, check character and the characters progression and maybe search/sort their bank, we have taken these into consideration and if able to, we would like to explore the possible avenue of an App for Pantheon but it would be a long way down the track near or after the games release.

We even just posted a question on Twitter asking about it.

https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/819632560347041792

• 38 posts
    January 18, 2017 6:45 AM PST

Kilsin said:

We have done a google doc Q&A, polls, CM content and threads throughout these forums about a Pantheon App and the consensus is that the majority want something and it would be nice for them to chat to guildies, check character and the characters progression and maybe search/sort their bank, we have taken these into consideration and if able to, we would like to explore the possible avenue of an App for Pantheon but it would be a long way down the track near or after the games release.

I think there is a better, 3rd option.  I believe that the game, devs and the gaming community would greatly benefit from having open (limited) external API.  Instead of VR wasting resources on external tools, let the community decide what they want and build it for you for FREE!  You will never be able to put enough resources in such tools to accomplish anything comparable to what would grow organically out of the community.  Even if you could, thats resources wasted that could have gone into game development.

I know personally, I would spend a lot of time building external tools for this game.    I would do that regardless of the API availability but what I can build is very limited without any access to the game data.

The key to success of any MMO is immersion.  With modern access to data online, its no longer possible to maintain immersion by "forcing" players to live inside the game, the way it was done in EQ.  Best way to combat this change of reality is to bring the game out into the "real" world.  I believe this would be the ultimate approach.  Beat the internet at its own game.  Allow players to be immersed in the game while they are not playing.

Just my two coppers..

• 14 posts
    January 18, 2017 7:56 AM PST

That's the way EVE did it. Everyone seems pretty happy about that. Though both games absolutely do not line squarely up.

If auctioning is going to require people to stand around, it may be nice to have a way to "log" a character in (via smartphone) that can broadcast your wares and be able to talk and make trades with people that initiate with you.

This post was edited by lewicki at January 18, 2017 7:58 AM PST
    • 201 posts
    January 18, 2017 8:01 AM PST

moszis said:

Kilsin said:

I think there is a better, 3rd option.  I believe that the game, devs and the gaming community would greatly benefit from having open (limited) external API.  Instead of VR wasting resources on external tools, let the community decide what they want and build it for you for FREE!  You will never be able to put enough resources in such tools to accomplish anything comparable to what would grow organically out of the community.  Even if you could, thats resources wasted that could have gone into game development.

I know personally, I would spend a lot of time building external tools for this game.    I would do that regardless of the API availability but what I can build is very limited without any access to the game data.

The key to success of any MMO is immersion.  With modern access to data online, its no longer possible to maintain immersion by "forcing" players to live inside the game, the way it was done in EQ.  Best way to combat this change of reality is to bring the game out into the "real" world.  I believe this would be the ultimate approach.  Beat the internet at its own game.  Allow players to be immersed in the game while they are not playing.

Just my two coppers..

There is been various chat on here, reddit and discord about apps and apis.  The general feeling is that most people don't want too much info but agree some api would be nice.  More so we want info to stay connected (ie: chat, guild info, couple other things)  but we don't want things like auction house, pricing, or any other economical factor.

• 2886 posts
    January 18, 2017 8:01 AM PST

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm sure third parties will make apps that are like wikis for community-gathered info about the game about items, spells, mobs, etc. to research stuff when are you on-the-go. And I think that's totally fine. I'm sure I would utilize that.

But as far as an app that VR itself puts out, I don't think that anything more than server status, news/announcements, or patch notes would be appropriate. Keep it simple and separate of the actual game. I'm not a big fan of an app that can directly affect characters in-game. If I'm honest, I'd probably still use it, but I'm more of a purist and it would just feel wrong.

• 38 posts
    January 18, 2017 8:25 AM PST

Just to be clear.. When I say API, I mean interfaces that allow external developers access certain data.   For example item/mob/zone information.  I definitely did not ask for ability to manipulate anything in the game.  Its a one way data access API.  The tools that I would like to build are tools that would allow players to stay connected to the game while not playing.   It is not meant to "play" or grow your character in any way.  

The only API that I would want thats two way is chat.  Something that would allow yout to DM and talk to your guild.  

Here is an example of an app that I think would be very useful:   "LFG" app that is similar to Uber app.  Allow players to go "lfg" with their profile.  They can choose specific camp spots and the roles they are willing play in the group.  Groups can also post open spots.  Each player can be rated by group members based on their tanking ability, dps.. whatever it is they got invited to group for.  Groups (based on the group organizer/leader) can also have a reputation based on their accomplishments and rating by players that join.   Even camp spots can start to get an identity based on popularity, etc..  Your identity as a player would grow organically but in real quantifiable terms.  Even those that have not met you before will have a sense of your accomplishments and reputation before deciding on whether you match what they are looking for in a group.  I wont go too much into details as it is something I actually want to build.. It is my personal belief that in modern day, this is the best way to build a true community in an mmo.

This post was edited by moszis at January 18, 2017 8:26 AM PST
    • 159 posts
    January 18, 2017 8:54 AM PST

I have a feeling an Uber type app would be abused and or used as a weapon eventually.  A rumor of someone being a ninja looter for instance travels by word of mouth so far, further by forums but that's all.  A false accusation or misunderstanding (or someone actually beating someone else on a roll fairly) could quickly end up with a write off character as an entire guild zeroes a player based on one member feedback.   This would effect an entire server pretty unfairly.  Do that on Wow and meh, they can atleast still survive via lfg and LFR.   In a game where community is king, it's a weapon that won't always be used fairly.

Plus (and here's the edit lol) I think being able to find a (non guild) group before you even log into the game would cheapen the entire experience of going back to a real game without the hand holding if newer mmorpgs.

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 18, 2017 9:01 AM PST
    • 38 posts
    January 18, 2017 9:23 AM PST

Xilshale said:

I have a feeling an Uber type app would be abused and or used as a weapon eventually.  A rumor of someone being a ninja looter for instance travels by word of mouth so far, further by forums but that's all.  A false accusation or misunderstanding (or someone actually beating someone else on a roll fairly) could quickly end up with a write off character as an entire guild zeroes a player based on one member feedback.   This would effect an entire server pretty unfairly.  Do that on Wow and meh, they can atleast still survive via lfg and LFR.   In a game where community is king, it's a weapon that won't always be used fairly 

Thats a very valid concern.  These type of app however should be build with all issues considered.  For example, you can be rated only by group members that were in the group at the same time as you (registered and approved by group creator/leader).   The rating you get for a group session can only be for the role you performed.  For example if you filled a tank role, you can only be rated as a tank.  Your rating is an average between all ratings you receive from other group members.   One specific rating can only skew your final rating a bit.   Further any comments (or "other" qualifications/issues) have to be approved by majority of the group members.  So for example if someone decided to label you as "ninja looter", it will not show up in your review until its agreed upon by consensus in this group and possibly across multiple grouping sessions to make sure this accurately reflects your character and not one off thing due to misunderstanding.

Not tryinig to solve any problems here.. just making a point that its all a question of how its done.  

• 9115 posts
    January 18, 2017 6:34 PM PST

moszis said:

Kilsin said:

Just my two coppers..

I appreciate your input but don't understand why people continue to state "wasting resources" as their argument for not doing something, the team who creates the app would be completely different from the team working on the game who is completely different from the team who works on the website, who is completely different from the team who works on the business deals and management etc. they are different platforms altogether, so it wouldn't be wasted at all, it would most likely be newly hired team members for that specific task or outsourced work for experienced devs on the mobile platforms.

Plus we are hesitant to use or allow the use of APIs, which we have discussed previously for security and abuse reasons, among others.

• 38 posts
    January 19, 2017 6:05 AM PST

Kilsin said:

I appreciate your input but don't understand why people continue to state "wasting resources" as their argument for not doing something, the team who creates the app would be completely different from the team working on the game who is completely different from the team who works on the website, who is completely different from the team who works on the business deals and management etc. they are different platforms altogether, so it wouldn't be wasted at all, it would most likely be newly hired team members for that specific task or outsourced work for experienced devs on the mobile platforms.

Plus we are hesitant to use or allow the use of APIs, which we have discussed previously for security and abuse reasons, among others.

Thank you for your response Kilsin. I completely understand your point of view.  I'm sure if any API (no matter how limited) ever gets opened to external developers, all security, balance and immersion concerns will be considered by your great team.  And only such data becomes available which contributes to the health and success of the game and not takes away from it.  That was always my assumption.

Just to be clear, "resources" within this context means money.  This is the only limited resource when it comes to developing this type of a game.  If you hire a new team, pay existing one, outsource or buy off the shelf product, this precious limited resource is wasted.  Resource that would have gone into improving the core game.

• 3016 posts
    January 19, 2017 9:06 AM PST

JonnyBlades said: Hi folks! Anyone know if there's plans to do a smartphone app like a character armory offline?

I've always liked this idea from the time I signed on here in 2014,  but I would imagine that would come after release.     I don't have a smartphone, but I would play on my tablet,  I would imagine a game on phone or tablet would be simplified to accomodate the limitations of phone or tablet.     But its something I wouldn't have a problem with supporting,  and these sorts of games (from what I see on Facebook and Google play) seem to be money makers.  :)   I know I have been addicted to one or two over the past couple of years.  :)    Now if they could make something like Pokeman Go....(haven't played that yet)

Cana

• 9115 posts
    January 19, 2017 3:29 PM PST

moszis said:

Kilsin said:

Thank you for your response Kilsin. I completely understand your point of view.  I'm sure if any API (no matter how limited) ever gets opened to external developers, all security, balance and immersion concerns will be considered by your great team.  And only such data becomes available which contributes to the health and success of the game and not takes away from it.  That was always my assumption.

Just to be clear, "resources" within this context means money.  This is the only limited resource when it comes to developing this type of a game.  If you hire a new team, pay existing one, outsource or buy off the shelf product, this precious limited resource is wasted.  Resource that would have gone into improving the core game.

You're very welcome my friend, I hope my reply didn;t sound too harsh, I was in robot mode replying to a few threads last night with lots of moderating involved, I didn't mean for my tone to carry into my reply to you :)

• 780 posts
    January 19, 2017 3:59 PM PST

I think an app with whatever the team wants to put in it would be cool.  Nice to still have some connection to the game while I'm stuck at work all night.  Probably wouldn't want it to allow you to interact with people in the game at all (hopefully we don't have AHes, but if we do, I definitely wouldn't want people to be able to run their auctions from their phones), except for maybe letting you send tells or view (but not talk in) chat.

• 38 posts
    January 19, 2017 5:06 PM PST

Kilsin said:

You're very welcome my friend, I hope my reply didn;t sound too harsh, I was in robot mode replying to a few threads last night with lots of moderating involved, I didn't mean for my tone to carry into my reply to you :)

No worries at all.  No offence taken or noticed :P  You da man.

• 1120 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:15 AM PST

To the people concerned with a mobile app that allows for someone to have an "advantage" over them in game away from the actual computer...

Teamviewer already exists and is extremely functional for most games.   If you know you want to do task a b c or d.   You can easily complete them via the app connection. 

• 1095 posts
    February 4, 2018 5:28 PM PST

Porygon said:

To the people concerned with a mobile app that allows for someone to have an "advantage" over them in game away from the actual computer...

Teamviewer already exists and is extremely functional for most games.   If you know you want to do task a b c or d.   You can easily complete them via the app connection. 

Then use Teamviewer, why waste VR resource on an app?

• 5 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:34 PM PST

Then use Teamviewer, why waste VR resource on an app?

That is not what he was getting at. People are arguing that a mobile app would give some people an advantage over others without smartphones. He was saying that there are already applications out there that allow people to pre-program actions and run them while away. (aka botting) Teamviewer is just an application that allows you to access your computer remotely and execute actions....in essence allowing you to run a game on your home computer while away. It is just VPN.

• 510 posts
    February 5, 2018 8:22 AM PST

I would like to see an app that does all of the following, but it would be based on a number of things in-game:

Banking.  If we have regional banking and not "magic banking":  Regional banking means you store your armor in Thronefast.  You find yourself on the other side of Terminus, say banking in Syronai's Rest, but you do not have the armor there - because it is in Thronefast, as opposed to going to SR and getting the armor out of the bank because it is magic banking and you have access to everything everywhere.  If it is regional banking I would like to be able to access my vault in Thronefast, pay a fee (both real-world and ingame) and have the armor shipped to SR.  If we have magic banking then this is moot and we move on...

Minion activities.  If we get minions/assistants I woulkd like to be able to assign tasks to them via the app.  If we dont have them yet - and we do have some beliefe that they will be available "someday", then keep the development of them in mind.

Weather reports.  I would like to be able to see some sort of report on general weather conditions across the known planet.  I do NOT in any way want it to be 100% accurate.  But a certain degree would be cool.

News Reports from across the world.  I enjoyed the nespapers in EQ1.  I would like there to be a method to read regional newspapers delivered say, once a week in each region - each written from the point of view of the dominant specie(s) in each region.  Would like to see a few stories regarding local news, world views, and player run ads for their crafting.  Clicking ads would allow you to send in-game mail to the player for special orders etc.

World-wide crafting portal.  I would like in-game purchases to be local only.  But have the app have access to a system that allows crafters to get in touch with purchasers so that they can special-order items.  There should be a shipping delay of course.  Make the delay time be based on distance etc.

Any time I travle the world the first thing I do is get the latest intel updates on where I am traveling too (real world).  I would like to see an app that gives you a general prospectus of what to expect in each region as it relates to current events and how it relates to your current faction levels.  The app would show a different result of you were a human in Thronefast vs. a Dark Mer in Thronefast.

Caravanning/travle options.  If I am at work and decide i want to play somewhere else in the world after work, I would like to be able to use the app to select a general destination and begin travel.  Once I get to the location I would like certain things reported:  Funds spent on travle, results of random events that happen along the way (think of certain auto-events:  waylaid by pirates, stopped and help a farmer, found a random dungeon that auto-resulted in a  , local resources gathered etc.).

I could go on, really, but I think this might be enough for now, if not too overwhelming.

• 12 posts
    February 9, 2018 4:06 AM PST

An app that has a few useful functionalities relating mostly to social things would be great:

- Access to your friends list and guild list, so you can see who is online.

- The ability to chat (whispers to-and-from friends and guild chat).

- A calendar that is linked to your guild's calendar (if such a feature is implemented) that will notify you of events, if you want it to.

- Bank management.

- Character lookup (imagine you meet a fellow Pantheon player irl, and you have the opportunity to show them your character, or make them show you theirs).

- A wiki-like database you can look game related stuff up on. It's convenient and you won't have to rely on your mobile browser for it.

There should be no way to actively influence your server mechanically, so no remote auction house or something like that.

This post was edited by Havesh at February 9, 2018 4:09 AM PST
    • 89 posts
    February 9, 2018 5:08 AM PST
    An API that gave access to in game gear tool tips would be very helpful for fan sites