Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Housing

• 257 posts
    October 13, 2016 9:18 PM PDT

I know I've seen it before but I can't find it, ugh, sorry.

Anyway, I love the ability to craft houses, ships, etc. It was great in Vanguard; however I feel it was a huge dev undertaking. I think if implimented well, an instanced area could be a fair compromise. I know may cut down on player interaction but I think it could be manageable. I'd love to have the chance to make something epic (DA3 Skyhold guild castle, yes please). Open world would be best, but again, that would be a massive undertaking. Just trying to find a middle ground that would give us crafters our fix that wouldn't be too much for the dev team. Is the Great Wall and the Pyramids too much to ask? ;)

• 60 posts
    October 14, 2016 11:29 AM PDT

I dont want to see stuff popping up in world which doesnt match the devs vision.  Keep this type of crafting outside of game, in an offline toolbox for players to tinker, and only implemented into game after vetting and dev approval.

This post was edited by Defector at October 14, 2016 11:29 AM PDT
    • 257 posts
    October 14, 2016 11:44 AM PDT

They have stated that they have not started the crafting development portion of the game yet. We do not know what their vision is for this portion yet. They make comparrisons to Vanguard a lot, which this does fit their vision ...

While we wait and see, this post was meant to find a means to recreate (partially) Vanguard's complex crafting with less resources. Nice positive post though.

• 60 posts
    October 14, 2016 12:16 PM PDT

Many people do not know Vangards crafting systems, myself included.  If you provide more detail it would be easier to comment.  My post is positive for crafting.  I love the idea of community becoming involved in building aspects of the world.  I just wanted to voice my opinion that player crafting should be controlled, because I dont want to see a great wall or pyramid where it does not make sense.

• 70 posts
    October 20, 2016 1:48 PM PDT

In the FAQ there is a bit on non-instanced housing planned for the future, but not sure if it will be in at release.  I'm excited to see that happen in this game.  At least I know they are working to make this game challenging and fun, unlike some games where you are able to buy your house rather than have to learn how to build it :)

Found it:

"Will there be crafted or player housing?

Eventually, yes, although whether it will be something we can offer at release or something we offer after launch is still up in the air at this point. We can say that our desire for creating housing, outposts, and other types of buildings is to be able to place them in non-instanced parts of the real game world and have them impact gameplay (as opposed to having housing that is purely cosmetic)."

This post was edited by Baldrith at October 20, 2016 1:53 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    October 20, 2016 2:49 PM PDT
    I'd like finite housing that is only customizable internally with rent/upkeep costs for whatever perks the housing may give.
    • 19 posts
    October 25, 2016 4:39 AM PDT

So far in my gaming career there was only game where I found housing fun and useful and that was Archeage. Now I understand it was hard to get housing in AA after a few months and so folks scammed others when selling. It there was a better way to implement it where selling/scamming wasn't an issue, it would be cool to see. The housing was implemented in the game in 'zones' and easy to get to and lived around the content. It wasn't instanced which is what I liked and you could do things with it like farm and craft. 

I didn't like LOTRO's housing because it was too restrictive and then I didn't like SWG because it allowed players to place housing "anywhere" which wasn't cool. Plus my understanding is that the housing remained even when the players left.

I will be interested to see what they do and if they progress with housing in a new and innovative way. AA topped it I think with locations and purpose. 

• 70 posts
    October 25, 2016 7:14 AM PDT

Ah yes, Archeage housing.  It was very nice having a farm and a place to raise your animals.  I loved that part of the housing in Archeage.  The crowding of housing was not so much fun there.  I was lucky and had a few plots from being fast with my character (Playing early alphas helped alot to learn the ways to get land).

Vanguard housing was done quite well.  There were islands for housing, and it was out of the way.  Mostly a place for storage and decor.  I wasn't a huge fan of the low ceilings, and I would prefer housing to be a bit more mixed in with the actual game world.  Also, I don't like instanced housing at all.  LoTR housing was just boring.  EQ2 housing was great in alot of ways, but instanced and quite lacking in functionality.  There were no secret rooms in houses, not much interactivity with the decor (besides the portal pictures)...but the ability to build rooms and houses was fun.

I just hope housing will be functional for our storage needs and buffs for resting there.  Of course there should be inns with beds as well for the homeless.  I don't expect to have a house quickly.  It should be something you have to work very hard to achieve.  Goals are important for the fun of a game.  Housing was always one of those goals I set for myself, along with boats, and other swag :)

• 294 posts
    October 27, 2016 12:57 PM PDT

I like the idea of crafting something that has an impact in the gaming world. Build a wall to protect the local village from the onslaught of trolls. Rebuild and fortify a broken ruin/small keep to be able to call it home for your awesome guild and then have to protect it from the hoard of orcs that attacks from time to time.

I do like housing to keep all my junk in, but it needs to mean something. No instanced, run of the mill, housing.

• 12 posts
    October 29, 2016 12:50 PM PDT

The biggest problem with non-instanced housing is that not everyone will be able to have one unless there is more hosing locations then there will ever be players on a server. There would also be the question of if houses will be owned by the character, or the account. Limiting housing to 1 per account per server would help reduce the needed ammount of space provided for housing. If every character can have a house, then that could end up being a very large ammount of space needed.

What I would like to see is areas where a Guild can claim and allow their members to build houses and fortirfications as well as a few areas where solo players could potentialy build. For the buildings themselves, I like more flexibility, but there would hopefully be some restrictions to keep things tastefull and in theme for the game.

One of my favorite housing systems was in Ultima Online where you bought a "Footprint" and could build your house using tiles. That was made possible due to the grapics at the time that was entirly tile based.

• 902 posts
    October 30, 2016 3:34 AM PDT

I would like to see towns built naturally into cities through player building and NPCs interactions. So, an important player hub would grow, re-enforcing its importance and to some extent, changing the map of the land. What if that town became so big that it was a direct adversary to the capital? This could lead to a lovely story of civil war for instance.

Also, if, because of game development, one of these player cities becomes deserted, then I would love to see it claimed back by the local populous or have it decay and becomes a (literal) ghost town and overgrown. Or even invaded by some war-mongering tribes.

Yeah I know, development would be huge. But I think it would naturally make old areas worth revisiting too.

I would love to see player housing influence the world.

• 6 posts
    November 6, 2016 2:28 PM PST

Instead of crafting houses/guild halls I'd rather have a tradeskill like EQ2 carpentry where I can make items for my house.

• 2 posts
    November 22, 2016 10:18 PM PST

I think real world player housing will start to become even more important as MMO's develope more and the possability that players can team up to make towns will be a huge draw to the game. This would also help in community interactions with people settling in an area to setup shops and could help people find group to go questing with. This would also help players feel like they have a vested interst in the game and the region where they settled. Meaning they would probably play the game longer and more often than they would play other games that didnt have this feature.

While this would be great, I also dont want to see abandoned "ruin" that just stay the same or stick around forever. I think the whole being overgrown or inhabited by mobs would be better than just haveing a place that served not pourpose but to be an eye sore. I also think that if you stumbled upon a place like this and wanted it, you could buy the spot and tear down the building so you could start the town anew. If you had to clear it first of mobs, that would even be better since you would have litterally sweated blood for the spot so to speak and so had an investment in the land already.

• 2886 posts
    November 23, 2016 9:25 AM PST

This is all we know:

"Q: Will there be crafted or player housing?

A: Eventually, yes, although whether it will be something we can offer at release or something we offer after launch is still up in the air at this point. We can say that our desire for creating housing, outposts, and other types of buildings is to be able to place them in non-instanced parts of the real game world and have them impact gameplay (as opposed to having housing that is purely cosmetic)."

• 763 posts
    November 23, 2016 1:08 PM PST

There is scope for innovation in housing. Obviously, the simplest is instanced housing. It is cheap on development and easy to implement, not to mention add/update. However, it is also anathema to player interactions as it splinters the player base into tiny cells. Since PROTF is not going to have instanced housing (at some point), at least this option can be discounted.

There are ways to implement (a form of) dynamic housing in an non-instanced world without too much icky-ness. The trick is probably to develop the village/town/cities using the same development structures you will use for later player building etc.

1. Designate the town 'grid'. This may be (i) concentric circles (ii) 'standard' grid, or (iii) some pre-set 'shape' or pattern of plots/roads. These 'grids' designate the plots and (potential) streets.

2. Designate 'wall status'. This is the inclination of the locals to build a wall (defensive). The wall is a value doubler for plot 'value' within its margin.

3. Using something akin to a task-list with check boxes, the DEVs pick the community buildings to be included. These should include, barracks, Town Hall, Church(es), Craft buldings (eg smithy), Inns/taverns etc. The AI will place these based on (i) plot value (ii) randomness - dependent on plot usage (Pubs spread out, Civic building near centre etc).

4. The AI then puts in streets linking plots by 'traffic density'. Most used - paved, least = dirt.

Thus, as players/guilds buy up plots and put houses on them, the AI periodically updates traffic density etc and recalculates the street textures. Plots would extend outside the walls (historically accurate for many regions) particularly those of smelly/noisy crafts.

Think 'Sim City meets MMO'.

Yeah .... quite a bit of work involved to get it started up (house models, house tex's, Civic buildings, village/town/city grids, City-AI etc) unless you poach a developer from (insert name of game developement studio who creates simulated city games). But it would be nice to consider if it is worthwhile by somebody who is in a better position to actually estimate the developemnt overheads for 'project city builder' then myself!

PS this mechanic would easily allow players/guilds to 'clear' an area of mobs and 'found' a city which could be seen to grow (buildings updated with partially built models at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full-grown, say) as plots were built upon. Probably pie-in-the-sky I guess - but certainly within the ability of modern games to program.

EDIT: mistake where I forgot to say 'not': (moving further comments to other thread)

This post was edited by Evoras at November 24, 2016 12:54 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    November 23, 2016 1:33 PM PST

This conversation is going on at https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2510/housing-is-it-planned-to-be-a-major-part-of-the-game. A lot has already been covered there and Aradune gave some good input on his long-term vision for player housing. Enjoy.

• 68 posts
    January 31, 2017 12:36 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

This is all we know:

"Q: Will there be crafted or player housing?

A: Eventually, yes, although whether it will be something we can offer at release or something we offer after launch is still up in the air at this point. We can say that our desire for creating housing, outposts, and other types of buildings is to be able to place them in non-instanced parts of the real game world and have them impact gameplay (as opposed to having housing that is purely cosmetic)."

I love the idea that they are non-instanced. I love having a house and decorating it. And of course storing stuff.

• 3016 posts
    February 11, 2017 8:53 AM PST

TFOP said:

So far in my gaming career there was only game where I found housing fun and useful and that was Archeage. Now I understand it was hard to get housing in AA after a few months and so folks scammed others when selling. It there was a better way to implement it where selling/scamming wasn't an issue, it would be cool to see. The housing was implemented in the game in 'zones' and easy to get to and lived around the content. It wasn't instanced which is what I liked and you could do things with it like farm and craft. 

I didn't like LOTRO's housing because it was too restrictive and then I didn't like SWG because it allowed players to place housing "anywhere" which wasn't cool. Plus my understanding is that the housing remained even when the players left.

I will be interested to see what they do and if they progress with housing in a new and innovative way. AA topped it I think with locations and purpose. 

Yeah housing in SWG became messy, urban sprawl...people left the game and that property couldn't be recycled,  and nobody could buy it either.   So in the end housing that had been standing vacant for literally years,   was eventually dismantled by the Devs,  all property going back into the former owner's bank and inventory.     That freed up land for newcomers to buy.     These were not instanced houses btw.    I would if anything like to see designated areas/blocks whatever for housing if it isn't going to be instanced.    I'd hate to see the mess ..messing up the beautiful world that the VR Devs are creating.   If given the chance, people will plop their housing anywhere...no rhyme, no reason.   :)

• 643 posts
    May 20, 2018 6:59 AM PDT

zombie-ing an old thread.  The one I wanted to respond to is missing (forum issue - it shows up in search).  Anyway:

I am against player housing.  I think it does exactly the opposite of what the game is supposed to do, socially.  It encourages players to have their own privtae space.  When EQ made guild halls and player housing, the visibile population crashed.  Everyone just sat in their private rooms and the world felt empty.  It was a huge damaging failure to the FEEL of Norrath.

• 1785 posts
    May 21, 2018 11:19 AM PDT

So, when housing is implemented without regard for community, I think you are correct Fazool.

However when done right, housing can actually build community.  Yes, it can spread population out, but there's a balance that can be struck.  The trick is insuring that the housing is meaningful, but also that the shared spaces are meaningful.

I think the right way to do this is to minimize the number of NPC "towns", and then allow for housing as part of a player "town" system.  The goal should be that whether you're in a player town or NPC town, the services you want/need as a player are in shared social areas (not a vendor standing in your guild hall).

For more or my random babbling on the subject, see this thread:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6938/farmville-in-pantheon/view/page/2

• 768 posts
    June 29, 2018 11:37 AM PDT

Player housing yes please.

For those players that want to set up a shop, a house in that town or at least an innroom with their name could be obligatory.

But how about players have to work for it to earn it. (Of course the innrooms could be a shorter questline with decorating options or plain ingame cash buy but in that case I would not allow for decorating options. A purchased innroom could allow for decorating after you've done X for that innkeeper or completed a certain questline.)

For example tradeskillers need to fortify the town by supplying resources or actual building of buildingblocks to hand in. The script could grant a home after a long questline or gained faction. But this house would require more than one player to be build or to be present in the town...after they all supported the town by those various prequests. When the walls are fortified and ground is cleared inside the town or on the outskirts of that town, the players responsible would be able to have their Nametag or permission of that terrain/house/patch within the city. From there on again could start a questline to start building those houses that could have a purpose for other players. For example building a tavern that will be inhabited by a limited amount of npc's AND the owners themselves. By paying their upkeep they would keep their spot or portion of the house. 

Sidenote on player earned house..it could be upgrade by earning prestige for that house. For example 4 players do their thing and the house inhabits 4 npc's (with quests or vendor options), later on they find a few more friends who have invested their time in the housingquest and are share fellow earnership. The prestige bar has advanced and the house becomes a villa/mansion, now allowing for 10 npc's to inhabite or perhaps temporary more rare npc's (read questlines or resources). But the appearance of that house would stay in line of it's surrounding Lore ofc.

If by ingame events or by leaving the area for another, the house gets abondoned or people stop paying their upkeep. The house will start shutting down, first by locking the players and after that last player has left, the npc's would leave as wel. The upkeep could be payed in advance for a certain amount of time, this would allow people to keep it open in case real life kicks in.

I do like the idea of decaying towns and or houses. It makes total sense. When people have left for higher leveld content or other, the npc's would leave and the houses will decay. But there is always that option to restore the homes/town through questlines. Again like the script I've written above. 

This post was edited by Barin999 at June 29, 2018 11:49 AM PDT