Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Consummables brainstorm? Let's give the devs some ideas

• 334 posts
    August 29, 2016 1:16 PM PDT

Consummables are a great opportunity for crafting communities and enable some semblence of a player-based economy. I think they add diversity and fun and definitely utility in an interesting way.

What type of consummables do you think would be worthy additions? Are there some you don't want to see?

Here are some broad, general ideas I have:

1. Food/drink— increased health/mana regen with varying recipes offering differing durations and additional effects
    2. Potions—many different opportunities for potions... health and mana recovery, temporary buffs, perhaps even some type of "drug" for character classes like Berserker with both pros and cons?
    3. Totems— something along the lines of EQII spirit totems? speed boosts, nightvision, etc.? lots of possibilities here
    4. Weapon stones— temporary weapon buffs depending on the stone
    5. Poisons— for Rogue/Assassin/Ranger classes, wide-range of options like found in EQII
    6. Enchanting powders— drawing some inspiration from Dark Souls here, but I'm entertaining the thought of an enchanting powder that adds very short duration weapon effects like fire, lightning, etc.

Would enjoy seeing other ideas, discussions regarding these, or even going more in-depth with particular consummable effects.

This post was edited by Sicario at September 3, 2016 12:23 PM PDT
    • 58 posts
    September 7, 2016 9:59 AM PDT

arrows

throwing knives

if slings are in the game then sling bullets

• 86 posts
    September 7, 2016 12:35 PM PDT

The idea of consumables is one that needs a lot of work. The original intent was to create much needed money sinks. But when the money passes from one player to another, there is no sink.

I was working on an idea an I guess I could share it here.

Strategically placed around would have NPCs that purchase crafted consumables. When a player crafts 200 health potions, they would sell them to one of these NPCs. 200 health potions would then be made available to purchase from any consumables merchant in that region. Every region would have a max number of each comsumable they will carry on the market. Once this max is hit, the comsumables merchant in that region will not buy any more. This would prevent the problem of having thousands of a potion that you can never get rid of an being forced to vendor them at a loss.

EXAMPLE:

I look on the merchant and I see only 100 small health potions available. So I go craft a couple hundred. Since the amount currently on the market was low, I should be fine. But once the amount of these potions grows to the max, I would no longer be Able to sell them. I would have to take the rest to another region to sell. The merchant would be selling these at yet another markup creating the much needed money sink. I spent 20 silver making each potion, The merchant bought all 200 potions for 30 silver each and will be selling them to players for 40 silver each.

Is this example, the manufacture (the alchemist) made his profit and so did the distributor (the game).

This idea would actually only be viable for consumables since we want to maintain a social market like we had in EQ.

This post was edited by Koreno at September 7, 2016 12:35 PM PDT
    • 294 posts
    September 7, 2016 3:49 PM PDT

Scrolls of varying enchantments: Heals, repairs, teleports, Illusions, wards, buffs, debuffs, etc... Luck!!!

maps, or worn portions thereof.

Gear buffs, Temporary running shoes, horse shoes, oil of temper that adds a special layer of protection to armors (specific in type, duration, etc...)

Increased melee speed added directly to your sword or axe, etc... The list is exhaustive, endless.

Imbuing items specific for crafting that lose potency over time. Even the tools of the trade can be temporary and consummable.

Food for mounts, pets.

Henchmen

This post was edited by Klumpedge at September 7, 2016 3:51 PM PDT
    • 643 posts
    September 8, 2016 10:03 AM PDT

Eye of Zomm type consumable clickies.

I'd love to see some clever environmental clickies.  Merge the ideas like Druid weather spells (stop the rain) and the PRF idea of climate:  have a place/space/region that is a climate region (or even a traveling climate-storm).  A clicky consumable activated in that region takes control of it.

Example 1:

Group needs to hunt in an area that has a nasty AoE cold weather cell (like the wekaness one we saw in the livestream).  Player runs in and clicks/activates his consumable "weather changer" item.  The cell is toned down or changed temporarily and the group can run in and quickly do their business.

Example 2:

A player is trying to break a camp and there is a traveling cyclone roaming around the zone.  The player can run up to it and click/active his item making the tornado chase him like a mob.  He runs across the zone and uses it to break a camp.

• 294 posts
    September 8, 2016 1:58 PM PDT

fazool said:

Eye of Zomm type consumable clickies.

I'd love to see some clever environmental clickies.  Merge the ideas like Druid weather spells (stop the rain) and the PRF idea of climate:  have a place/space/region that is a climate region (or even a traveling climate-storm).  A clicky consumable activated in that region takes control of it.

Example 1:

Group needs to hunt in an area that has a nasty AoE cold weather cell (like the wekaness one we saw in the livestream).  Player runs in and clicks/activates his consumable "weather changer" item.  The cell is toned down or changed temporarily and the group can run in and quickly do their business.

Example 2:

A player is trying to break a camp and there is a traveling cyclone roaming around the zone.  The player can run up to it and click/active his item making the tornado chase him like a mob.  He runs across the zone and uses it to break a camp.

• 294 posts
    September 8, 2016 1:59 PM PDT

Intriguing idea Fazool. I like it. Dang, dude, that one gets me thinking about the possibilities.