Forums » The Paladin

Paladin Role Concern based on EQ

• 3 posts
    April 25, 2018 6:37 PM PDT

Retsof said:

Complete heal a blunder? *Deep breath* Trying to stay calm. Serenity now! Other than my clicky stick, it was one of the things I loved most as a Cleric. I've heard the arguments, but yeah. Don't care. I loved it.

From an RP standpoint I'm sure it was great, and the class flavor is fine too.  Mechanically wise...ehhhhh.  You know you've dun goofed when healers spend multiple expansions tackling raid content using the same spell just shoehorning in more clerics.

Anyway, I can't speak to SKs, but Paladin aggro pre-luclin consisted of 2 stuns and a proc spell, and 1 of the stuns was horribly mana intensive.  It got a LOT better though with the retooling we got with Luclin stuns and then PoP made it even more obvious that hybrid aggro was dominant. 

• 820 posts
    April 26, 2018 9:50 AM PDT

throren said:

Retsof said:

Complete heal a blunder? *Deep breath* Trying to stay calm. Serenity now! Other than my clicky stick, it was one of the things I loved most as a Cleric. I've heard the arguments, but yeah. Don't care. I loved it.

From an RP standpoint I'm sure it was great, and the class flavor is fine too.  Mechanically wise...ehhhhh.  You know you've dun goofed when healers spend multiple expansions tackling raid content using the same spell just shoehorning in more clerics.

Anyway, I can't speak to SKs, but Paladin aggro pre-luclin consisted of 2 stuns and a proc spell, and 1 of the stuns was horribly mana intensive.  It got a LOT better though with the retooling we got with Luclin stuns and then PoP made it even more obvious that hybrid aggro was dominant. 

See, this is what has me confused. Flash of Light on paladins was a, some might argue, overpowered Aggro tool that was available on classic as soon as Paladins hit Lvl 9. I suppose I could be incorrect and it wasn't available until Kunark (can't seem to find release info), but I'm almost positive it was available during classic. That spell alone made Paladins insanely good at holding aggro. Mix that with Lull/soothe/calm, and then root later, and you have yourself an aggro generating, pulling, semi-CC'ing tank machine. 

• 202 posts
    April 26, 2018 11:39 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I think we all agree that Warriors are the kings of tanks.

Maybe - it really depends on what it means to be "king of tanks".

I think a reasonable way to measure relative tank class effectiveness is to count the number of group compositions in which that particular tank class is able to perform the tanking role at peak efficiency.  I think it makes sense for Warriors to have a slightly easier time fitting into more group compositions than a Paladin - maybe a 3 to 2 ratio.  And I think it makes sense to flip that ratio when the mobs are undead.

• 4320 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:20 PM PDT

Nihimon said:

Bazgrim said:

I think a reasonable way to measure relative tank class effectiveness is to count the number of group compositions in which that particular tank class is able to perform the tanking role at peak efficiency.  I think it makes sense for Warriors to have a slightly easier time fitting into more group compositions than a Paladin - maybe a 3 to 2 ratio.  And I think it makes sense to flip that ratio when the mobs are undead.

Lol I posted this way back in 2016, before I had a better understanding of the classes. It now would be more accurate to say that Warriors are the "king of damage absorption." Now does that translate into a wider variety of situations in which they would be the most effective? Possibly, but we'll just have to wait and see :)

• 820 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:32 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Nihimon said:

Bazgrim said:

Lol I posted this way back in 2016, before I had a better understanding of the classes. It now would be more accurate to say that Warriors are the "king of damage absorption." Now does that translate into a wider variety of situations in which they would be the most effective? Possibly, but we'll just have to wait and see :)

Are you suggesting that opinions evolve over time? 

HOW DARE YOU!!

• 1622 posts
    April 26, 2018 3:17 PM PDT

Share bazgrim, Shame !

I'd not say the kings of damage absorption, but for now I can't tell the design of the other tanks.

• 202 posts
    April 26, 2018 4:56 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Lol I posted this way back in 2016...

Heh, sorry 'bout that.  I'm usually better about noticing when I'm replying to a really old post.  I haven't been this active on forums in a while...

• 2 posts
    July 31, 2019 10:07 PM PDT

I can still remember the grumbling in guild chat back during Planes of Power, when back-flagging recruits for PoTime.

One or more recruits would aggro something wrong, raids wiping, and here us 5 paladins and 1 necro in a group off to the side are rotation/chain casting group heals and surviving through waves of adds as rest of raid is b*tching about all the deaths and exp loss.

Good times :)

• 682 posts
    October 3, 2019 8:31 AM PDT

FFIV Paladin was amazing, the Neverwinter Paladin was insane-amazeballz, and the EQ Paladin was just ballz.  On a PvP server they were literally the worst class you could play.  (Everything resisted their spells.)

I still have high hopes for the PRotF Paladin.  It looks great in theory so far.