Forums » Pantheon Classes

Starting Stat Allocation

• 1860 posts
    June 1, 2016 9:08 AM PDT

I looked it up and didn't find anywhere that this was discussed.  Has this been mentioned before?

Will we be able to allocate points to our characters stats at creation? 

Some games don't allow this, everyones base stats within their class/race combo are identical.  In EQ there was a minimal amount of points you could allocate.  Some games allow full customization during character creation.

I'm not expecting full customization.  That has never been a selling point for this game.  I am hoping for a little bit more customization than EQ allowed. 

It makes the player feel like more of an individual.

There are multiple ways this could be handled.  One way I have seen that I thought worked well was using diminishing returns.  Once a specific stat hits a certain point, anything after that starts costing more points if you want to continue increasing that stat.

To clarify: Going from 90-100 in a stat might cost 10 points total (1 point per stat increase) but to go from 100-101 would cost 2 points.  It is a pretty basic system.

This lets people have the option of min/maxing or creating a much more well rounded character.

I have played games that released the character creation menu pre-release so you could plan out your character.  It seemed to do a good job of stirring up interest for the game.

Is this something people care about?  What level of stat allocation and character customization would you like to see?

This post was edited by philo at June 1, 2016 9:09 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    June 1, 2016 7:23 PM PDT

If you introduce diminishing returns on initial stat point allocation, you might as well not have any stat point allocation at all because the diminishing returns puts everyone within a narrower range that would otherwise be possible.  You cannot truly min/max if spending more points in 1 area gradually costs more than 1 point per point.  Min/maxing is a choice.  It has benefits and drawbacks and players who understand that can plan accordingly.

What is more critical is having the developers explain very clearly exactly what the stats actually do for us. 

• 1860 posts
    June 1, 2016 8:11 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

If you introduce diminishing returns on initial stat point allocation, you might as well not have any stat point allocation at all because the diminishing returns puts everyone within a narrower range that would otherwise be possible.  You cannot truly min/max if spending more points in 1 area gradually costs more than 1 point per point.

Lol you think you can't min/max with a diminishing returns point allocation system?  You don't realize those two things are independent of each other?  The max possible is still the maximum regardless of how the points are allocated.  Have you never played a pen and paper game?

That response comes off like a troll post.  I'm unsure if that was the intention or not.  It could just be misunderstanding I guess maybe...