Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Fishing?

• 2886 posts
    January 5, 2017 11:49 AM PST

Chimerical said:

Perhaps different types of fishing too.  Fly fishing, could have a meter to time the perfect cast; deep sea fishing during boat rides, might pull up agressive dark myr!; noodling, would be interesting to see certain races have the ability to stick their hands in the water and pull up a catfish or some such thing.  Just throwing out ideas, cause I know the developers are looking for things to fill up their spare time. :p

Ah good idea. I'd also add lobster traps. A variety of different types of fishing, all with different degrees of involvement/timing.

• 38 posts
    January 6, 2017 11:30 AM PST

The two big aspects I focus on are the mechanics and the benefits. As others have said, BDO has a great model which makes it more of an active task. If I remember correctly, Rift had a much simpler/easier approach where you would click the button to start, wait for a splash, and hit the button again to retrive your fish. Either end of the simplicity spectrum works for me.

When it comes to benefits, the real hook is when the fruits (well, fishes) of your labor are valuable for crafting. Spending time fishing in WoW in order to create buff food for my raid was what made the time worthwhile -- knowing that I was investing my time in something that would help myself and my group. If the end result is trivial or obsolete (i.e. the crafted food is only on par with what is easily bought elsewhere), then it's much tougher to feel like it's time well spent.

• 2886 posts
    January 6, 2017 1:05 PM PST

Design said:

The two big aspects I focus on are the mechanics and the benefits. As others have said, BDO has a great model which makes it more of an active task. If I remember correctly, Rift had a much simpler/easier approach where you would click the button to start, wait for a splash, and hit the button again to retrive your fish. Either end of the simplicity spectrum works for me.

When it comes to benefits, the real hook is when the fruits (well, fishes) of your labor are valuable for crafting. Spending time fishing in WoW in order to create buff food for my raid was what made the time worthwhile -- knowing that I was investing my time in something that would help myself and my group. If the end result is trivial or obsolete (i.e. the crafted food is only on par with what is easily bought elsewhere), then it's much tougher to feel like it's time well spent.

This is a good point. Fishing and Cooking should go hand-in-hand. Makes it much more meaningful than just a novelty pasttime.

• 70 posts
    January 10, 2017 2:52 PM PST

I don't like to fish in real life, but in a game it's fun because I can catch interesting stuff like treasure maps, old chests, and perhaps a dangerous sea creature :)

It doesn't have to be boring.  Some games have done fishing really boring (Lord of the Rings)...I hope to see at least more than a click and wait system.  I like it to be challenging, and rewarding.  I love fishing from my boat as well.  Deep sea fishing was awesome in Vanguard.  Final Fantasy XIV had the ability to catch bigger fish with the fish you just caught...hundreds of different kinds of fish to catch too, that was fun.

Of course fish you catch should be of value to cooking and alchemy.  It's really a form of gathering.  I loved my fishing attire in games too.

• 36 posts
    January 11, 2017 5:30 AM PST

Baldrith said:

I haven't heard anything about fishing so far and just wondering if it is planned?

I loved Vanguard fishing and Final Fantasy XIV fishing alot.  I love being rewarded for fishing.  Treasure maps and great rare treasures are also awesome to find while fishing.  I hope to see it in this game.

If you had watched the last 3 hour or so live stream you would of heard them discussing fishing and they said it would be in. The Streamer Cohhcarnage asked the question and while the derv answering lost sound he even added yes there will be raid fishing tounge in check like vewry funny and worth a watch imo. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWD1F7_WUM

• 2886 posts
    January 11, 2017 5:43 AM PST

Asbo said:

Baldrith said:

I haven't heard anything about fishing so far and just wondering if it is planned?

I loved Vanguard fishing and Final Fantasy XIV fishing alot.  I love being rewarded for fishing.  Treasure maps and great rare treasures are also awesome to find while fishing.  I hope to see it in this game.

If you had watched the last 3 hour or so live stream you would of heard them discussing fishing and they said it would be in. The Streamer Cohhcarnage asked the question and while the derv answering lost sound he even added yes there will be raid fishing tounge in check like vewry funny and worth a watch imo. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWD1F7_WUM

If you had read the original post, you would have noticed that the question was asked way before the last twitch stream lol. In fact, it was around the time of the first one.

Anyway, yes, fishing 100% confirmed. A serious MMO of this nature wouldn't be complete without it.

• 70 posts
    January 11, 2017 6:03 AM PST

Asbo said:

Baldrith said:

Ah thanks for the info.  I watched the stream :)  We're just talking about fishing here.  Now that it's in, it's even better to talk about.

• 105 posts
    January 12, 2017 10:55 AM PST

I'm (pleasantly) surprised at the amount of interest Fishing seems to have. Fishing is always near and dear to my heart as it was something my father and I greatly enjoyed together, so the chance to digitally capture some of that nostalgia gives me a bias towards wanting it. Why it's important to the game though, is we want to consider it part of the harvesting system so it feeds directly into Cooking, Alchemy, and other tradeskills. As also mentioned in this threatd, there's opportunities for us to have triggered events and spawns, as well as the opportunity to fish up quest starters/items, as well some trash and treasures.

Our biggest question to you though is: how do you see yourselves interacting with Fishing in the game? Do you want something actiony, with its own rules and movements, or do you see it as a more casual thing to do between slaying monsters, or something else entirely? Regardless, we'll likely be starting with something simple, but as we begin to work around the framework of what it *could* be in action, we'd like to hear your thoughts a bit. 

• 2886 posts
    January 12, 2017 12:54 PM PST

Ceythos said:

I'm (pleasantly) surprised at the amount of interest Fishing seems to have. Fishing is always near and dear to my heart as it was something my father and I greatly enjoyed together, so the chance to digitally capture some of that nostalgia gives me a bias towards wanting it. Why it's important to the game though, is we want to consider it part of the harvesting system so it feeds directly into Cooking, Alchemy, and other tradeskills. As also mentioned in this threatd, there's opportunities for us to have triggered events and spawns, as well as the opportunity to fish up quest starters/items, as well some trash and treasures.

Our biggest question to you though is: how do you see yourselves interacting with Fishing in the game? Do you want something actiony, with its own rules and movements, or do you see it as a more casual thing to do between slaying monsters, or something else entirely? Regardless, we'll likely be starting with something simple, but as we begin to work around the framework of what it *could* be in action, we'd like to hear your thoughts a bit. 

Good to hear from you Ceythos.

I think I touched on this before, but I'll combine it into one post and expand on it a bit...

I like variety and I think it fits perfectly with fishing. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say there are three types of bodies of water: Ocean, Pond, and River. The type of body of water determines the types of fish you can catch. Additionally, there are different methods/tools to catch those different types of fish. The first ones that come to mind are: 

Lobster Traps - usable in Oceans, requires lobster bait or herring

Fishing Pole - usable in Ponds, requires nightcrawlers or mackerel

Fly Fishing Pole - usable in Rivers, requires fly lure or prawn

Note that each tool has two options for bait. The first is a basic bait that can be bought at a merchant. The second is a bigger bait that must be caught first, but then can be used as bait to catch even bigger, more rare fish! (in addition to also having the option of being used in cooking, alchemy, etc.)

Lobster Traps are more of a "set-and-forget" style of fishing. You press a button and after a period of time, either you automatically catch something or you don't. This is ideal for when I want to level up my fishing skill while also watching TV. It's not a very involved process.

Fishing Poles require only a tiny bit more focus. You press the button once to cast the rod and then at some sort of visual/audio cue (like the bobber in WoW for example) you have to press the button again to reel it in. Not too difficult at all, but you can't just go AFK either.

Fly Fishing Poles would involve almost constant attention in order to be successful, perhaps similar to the fishing mechanics in Stardew Valley. It's almost like a mini-game.

Pretty rough example, but I think you know what I mean :) also, it's worth mentioning that no method is "better" than the others. You can use all methods at all times, it just depends what you are trying to catch. All are useful. To balance the fact that some methods require more effort, perhaps the basic baits would have different prices, with easier techniques requiring more expensive bait. I.e. - lobster bait is ~5 silver for a stack of 20, nightcrawlers are ~1 silver for a stack of 20, and perhaps a fly lure is 1 silver but there is only a small % chance the lure will be lost while fishing. It is artificial and therefore can be reused until you get unlucky and it falls off for some other reason. Just some ideas! I don't fish in real life, but it's a fun way to pass time in game. It's crazy how satisfying it is to see:

You have become better at Fishing! (153)
    You cast your line...
    You catch a Cauldron Trout!
    You have become better at Fishing! (154)

and just keep watching that skill go up and up!

P.S. - it'd be awesome if there were fishing tournaments too, just sayin' ;)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 12, 2017 2:35 PM PST
    • 70 posts
    January 12, 2017 1:09 PM PST

Ceythos said:

Fishing to me should have some player skill involved with it.  I am hoping that bait choices, and fishing gear will have a place in our fishing system.  Crafted bait would be great along with crafted traps, and higher end fishing poles would be awesome.

Vanguard had a system where you would fight with the fish and learn it's moves to succeed.  Other games have been more simple and less challenging (less fun too for me).

I also would love to see spear fishing, fly fishing, deep sea fishing, shallow water fishing and do not forget about ICE FISHING.

Fishing should go hand in hand with crafting, as stated, it is a form of harvesting.

• 3016 posts
    January 12, 2017 2:38 PM PST

Hmmm deep sea fishing as a Dark Myr...sounds good to me. :)

• 174 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:20 AM PST

I'm thinking along the lines of Bazgrim.  Fly fishing would be for those after a more active type of fishing, a more simple casting for those times when you're looking for leisure.  Deep sea trolling might disturb underwater denizens, so no telling what you might bring up.  Wouldn't Dark Myr be experts at spear fishing?  Also along those lines I could see an expert ranger "spear fishing" with his bow.  Ideas are easy to come up with, writing code isn't, so forgive me if I'm overfilling your plate...

• 279 posts
    January 19, 2017 1:03 AM PST

How about a quest with perception triggers involving fishing skill? Like say everyone can come across this NPC old man by the lake who gives a perception trigger telling a story about the mosterous fish that got away. Any player could try their luck to catch the rare fish but they might have a hard time of it. A player with high fishing skill could run around the edge of the lake to come across another percption trigger that says this looks like the perfect place to catch a big fish. So you cast your line and turns out you hooked a named aqua goblin with a unique piece of loot needed for another quest or to make something. The special location could move around, so as a skilled fisherman you could sell your services or help your friends in catching that aqua goblin.

IDK just an idea...but I hope the perception system could do stuff like that.

• 2138 posts
    January 25, 2017 8:57 PM PST

I like the idea of crafting lobster/custacean traps. I would like to see crafted lures that continue to go up in skill value or add skills- maybe to fishing also. Lures should last 3 times more than bait, but bait would be better in some cases than a lure (like on a calm lake). If fly fishing in a river- you would need to face upstream and then pivot slowly to end up facing downstream, as if watching the bait drift down. Bait fishing would need bobbers or special hooks: one would have to watch the bobber and set the hook at the right time, or gently tug the pole if using a crawler and a hook.(where'd my bobber go?.....on NO!<- should be just as terrorizing as if you lost your pet in a train prone dungeon). Shore fishing to the ocean would need a weight and a crafted floating lure to look like a small fish, the skill would depend how far you put the weight up the line from the Lure fish, too close and no good, too far and the fish floats, just right and the fish appears to swim as the waves push it. this would be the only sedentary kind of fishing where you could lay a pole or multiple poles and wait for the tip to twitch in just the right way.

there should also be good fishing "spots" that as you get better at fishing skill you would get more frequent perception hints *you think there might be a big one at the base of that stone under that shade if you can cast your bait correctly in that area* or somehting.

And only if skill check is high enough, to be able to pay a nominal fee to be allowed to deep sea fish off the back of a transportation boat, however, this would require you bring your own pole, and part of the prep would be either having chum or fishing for small fish at the dock, to turn into chum, and then catch bigger fish or shell fish from your traps form the dock, to use as trolling bait for deep sea fishing after you have scatttered the chum while on the journey.

If they were magic, only the bait 'n bobber, or crawler 'n hook would summon a beer. Lures would require a tacklebox and summon 6 beers at once but only once every 3.5 hours so you had ot make it last- that could be shared (so if four people went lure fishing, thats a case right there). Deap see trolling pole would be specialized in that it would summon a fillet knife ( to cut up your big fish into steaks) no booze. Shore ocean poles would summon small stat sandwiches ( have ot be elaert to see the tell-tale twitching of a bite) Fly fishing pole would summon  a hip flask of blackberry brandy that you could only take a sip from, every so often.

• 521 posts
    January 26, 2017 9:06 PM PST

Ceythos said:

I would prefer it not be just a casual thing, but a full fledged system for casuals to dabble with if they just want to pass some time, but serious fishermen could to make a living on with better gear and skills. Fishing planet comes to mind on depth and complexity, but thats the entire premise of the game so I don't expect ( wuold be awesome though) that level of fishing skill, but any step towards that and away from the standard click and collect would be welcomed.

• 213 posts
    January 28, 2017 8:03 AM PST

The best fishing I've ever experienced in any game lies here Best fishing .  It was very interactive, with awesome sound effects and animations not to mention you had to have special gear to fish with (as in an entire set) crafters made for you.  Hands down -  Awesome 

This post was edited by Gamerchick at January 28, 2017 8:08 AM PST
    • 1778 posts
    January 28, 2017 8:28 AM PST

Gamerchick said:

The best fishing I've ever experienced in any game lies here Best fishing .  It was very interactive, with awesome sound effects and animations not to mention you had to have special gear to fish with (as in an entire set) crafters made for you.  Hands down -  Awesome 

Yep one of the few things I did like about FFXIV was my Fisher.

• 68 posts
    January 28, 2017 9:22 AM PST

Lagencie said:

Not sure if anyone of you guys plays Black Desert.

But the Fishing System there is quite nice. You can find keys and Ancient Relics during fishing.

These keys can be used for Chests throughout the whole World (random location spawns in the whole world).

The Ancient Relics can be combined and can be used to spawn Relic Bosses (You can say like you find a few Ancient Tablets and if you have all you can read the Letters for an Ancient Summoning Spell). Which gives pretty nice rewards.

And for sure the Fishing Part itself - its a pretty nice money maker, as there are fishing Vendors that sell more or less for common / rare / ultimate rare fish species.

Black Desert itself made it completely afkable so it autofishes but at a very slow rate - or do it manually and fast. Only breaking rods hinder you from 24/7 afk fishing ^^

I have not played Black Desert, but I like the fishing implementation you wrote about. Sounds wonderful!

• 542 posts
    January 30, 2017 4:22 PM PST

The nicest games I've played had fishing in them.going all the way back to Zelda link's awakening

In worst case you ended up as fish food for boss

There were even fish that could teach you a new song

<3 fishyyy

This post was edited by Fluffy at February 9, 2017 9:17 AM PST
    • 213 posts
    February 9, 2017 1:26 AM PST

Ceythos said:

Ultimately, it would be really cool if fishing was a legitamate way to spend your afternoon in game and not just an afterthought like many other games seem to make it.

FFXIV really kind of set the bar in terms of making fishing a very fun social event.  If you wanted to become a good fisher you had to find a specialized crafter to make you a set of fishing gear, there were many sets, so you got the one you could afford at the time.  The best set had the coolest fishing look, and also had stats that helped you catch fish more often.

The coolest thing about the way the did fishing was that there was an animation when a fish was on your hook - your pole would bend (sound and looks to go along with this) Occasionally, you would loose a fish.  There was always a chance.

Weather played an important part in fishing too, you would have to go and see what the weather forcast that day would be to know which fish were gonna come out and play.  This kept things interesting.

Rare fish with cool loot was a thing too, sometimes you could scoop up a cool bikini or a cool looking hat but they were rare- about as rare as the fish themselves if you could even catch them.

When they bit if you didn't reel it in right away you would hear your line snap indicating you lost it.  It was always a sad day knowing you lost out on that rare fish. But this also kept things interesting.  I remember making friends with serveral fishers during my time in this game and learning a lot from them about how to fish.

Bait was also another huge part of this game you had to know which bait to use to catch a certain type of fish and some bait was more effective than others at getting That Big one.

In addition to this, there was a questline that helped you get fishing poles.  Everyone starts with a crappy one but as you finish the quests you get better and better poles. Another way they kept things interesting.

I'm not saying lets copy them, but going back to how I started off the post they made fishing a legit way to pass your time in game there was so much too it.  More than just sticking a fishing pole in the water and waiting to click your mouse. I posted a link showing just a bit of this processs in case you've never played and because I think it might better explain what I'm going for here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TBUwTXieA

This post was edited by Gamerchick at February 9, 2017 1:28 AM PST
    • 219 posts
    February 9, 2017 6:29 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Hmmm deep sea fishing as a Dark Myr...sounds good to me. :)

I really like the idea of this CanadinaXegony !! Because of our (Dark Myr) Innate ability of water breath we could swim places no other race could to fish / spear fish for rare species that no one else could get to. This would add a unique system just for the Dark Myr. This goes for all races / classes. I hope all have a few really unique systems that you will need them specifically to complete. Like the rogue and their ropes getting a group up a mountain or across a gorge. 

I personally would like a more active fishing system. I never really enjoyed seeing 100 afk players fishing at the docks in town.

EDIT !..... PLEASE NO AFK FISHING. Yes in caps. There should never be an afk activity that allows you to advance your character.

This post was edited by Pyde at February 9, 2017 6:50 AM PST
    • 213 posts
    February 16, 2017 7:13 AM PST

PLEASE NO AFK FISHING. Yes in caps. There should never be an afk activity that allows you to advance your character.

I couldn't agree more about what you just said.  We are here to play the game not afk and do something else, otherwise what is the point?   If this game succeeds at making fishing interactive and fun it will be the best way to unwind after a dungeon or a bad grouping experience.  Fishing is about relaxation, but in a game it would be nice if it encouraged players to come together on some beach to socialize too if they want.  Fishing with a purpose would be nice as well so I hope that it lends itself to cooking in some way AND other crafts.  Sometimes cooking isn't always a favored profession so having backup professions who also use fishing would be nice, and will keep fishing relevant.

This post was edited by Gamerchick at February 16, 2017 7:13 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    February 16, 2017 12:07 PM PST

Agreed no afk or automated fishing.  Aware and at the keyboard please and thank you :)

• 2886 posts
    February 16, 2017 12:23 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Agreed no afk or automated fishing.  Aware and at the keyboard please and thank you :)

I agree absolutely no AFK fishing. That's completely pointless in my opinion. If you want automated gameplay, go play Progress Quest lol.

I do, however, advocate for having an option for fishing that requires only minimal involvement. Every once in a while, I mostly wanna pay attention to the TV, but also get a few Fishing levels while I'm at it :P The EQ style "press a button, wait, and see what you get" would be fine in some situations as far as I'm concerned. But of course it still requires me to be at the keyboard.

• 13 posts
    February 16, 2017 1:04 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

CanadinaXegony said:

I agree absolutely no AFK fishing. That's completely pointless in my opinion. If you want automated gameplay, go play Progress Quest lol.

I do, however, advocate for having an option for fishing that requires only minimal involvement. Every once in a while, I mostly wanna pay attention to the TV, but also get a few Fishing levels while I'm at it :P The EQ style "press a button, wait, and see what you get" would be fine in some situations as far as I'm concerned. But of course it still requires me to be at the keyboard.

Definitely agree with the minimal involvement fishing.  Just like real life, fishing should just be a nice relaxing activity that takes minimal effort.  Of course I'm talking about sitting on the lake fishing bass and crappie, not swordfish or anything.  When I think of fishing in an MMO I think of doing it laying on the couch, watching some TV with the fiance and casually fishing.