Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Fishing?

• 96 posts
    September 1, 2016 9:30 AM PDT

I've never been a fan of in-game fishing myself.  Not that I think it shouldn't be included!  I would just rather explore or find some challenging fight to test my skills on.

As for those of you who do enjoy...well, the rest of us appreciate your wares, they keep us fed and buffed up!  No one likes seeing "You are hungry. You are thirsty.  You are out of food and drink!" pop up ;)

• 114 posts
    September 11, 2016 5:29 PM PDT

I like the idea of fishing. I fish in every game I play that allows it. 

I like in Rift how once you max fishing, you can possibly fish up a quest for an Uber fishing pole recipe (self only) that allows you to have higher chance of catching shinies, special fish, armor and so on.

In EQ I would spend hours fishing...I still laugh at the "spilling your beer" message and those billions of old boots I must have caught.

So yes to fishing!

But...for things to pick up while fishing...I love the idea of bits of soggy armour, maybe crates of crafting materials, rusty daggers/weaponry, the occasional nice item...and of course fish, seaweed, shinies and so on. The idea of map bits or lore books would be nice too. Maybe certain items could pull a perception quest!

But, I really hope no keys to treasure chests etc unless they are account bound and not sellable. I really hated in Vanguard the random chests scattered around that needed keys that were only bought off the cash store, or pay an extravagant price on the broker, just irked me...

So IF there are chests scattered around that need keys, please have keys be by fishing, or a random drop on a mob etc...and let them be account bound and not sellable to people.

This post was edited by Frogz0r at September 11, 2016 5:30 PM PDT
    • 106 posts
    October 11, 2016 9:47 AM PDT

After a hards day work, sitting down next to a creek and fishing is relaxing. After a long days journy from the last town, tavern was nice, now its time to enjoy the sunset while fishing in the lake. After a rough and long battle with the dungoen boss, its nice to breath in the freash air near the forest as you soak your feet in the nearby pond and fish.

EQ fishing was fun, VG fishing was fun. FFV14 was fun (damn difficult at first). Its a break from gaming. Its taking a break, its when you are about to log off for the night or day, its when you want to be by yourself (no drama from guild), its when there is a fishing contest lol to begin. Its when you need the extra money starting out. Its when you get hungry (some games you go starving). Its when you hear the sound of bloob. And sit back and wonder what quest you will do next, or tomorow, what activities to do, so fourth.

Will it be a passtime, tradeskill or craft? I dont know.

...Raid group leader: Hey folks bad news, only way to kill this boss is we need a certain fish in that swim on the nexus of plane fishworld. The fin of that fish is said to be effective against this boss and only this boss.

• 12 posts
    November 3, 2016 10:23 PM PDT

If fished in every game I've played that included it. UO, EQ, WoW, MineCraft, LotRO and more. My favorite was actualy UO where when you got very skilled you could pull up a "message in a bottle" that would lead you to another location where you could fish up a treasure chest.

Fishing in games also reminds me of my EQ days. On the server I was on we had a character who did interviews with other characters on a "show" called Fish with Ish.

• 42 posts
    November 4, 2016 8:23 PM PDT

Fishing in the game.............yes...........have a few drinks.....absolutely........I myself remember my first day fishing in EQ................fishing,drinking........................you are drowning................loading please wait ! That fish got away..........

• 2886 posts
    November 9, 2016 9:30 AM PST

I love fishing in downtime when logged in - while looking for a party or whatever. It's simple yet pretty rewarding. I have fond, relaxing memories of fishing in Rivervale on days when I just didn't feel like taking the risk of dying haha. I imagine if I make a Halfling in Pantheon, I will also work on making him a master angler. Just seems right :)

• 668 posts
    November 11, 2016 1:05 PM PST

I would love some kind of fishing as a skill / hobby...  However, I would really like some kind of major benefit for building this skill.  Either a rare chance at unique items or rare fish that have meaningful recipes for cooking skill, etc...

• 42 posts
    November 11, 2016 4:45 PM PST

I myself love the crafting and fishing in Lotro

• 106 posts
    November 18, 2016 6:34 AM PST

Hello. If they made fishing as a skill, it should benefits some other skills, like cooking, alchemy etc (can only think of those two off the top of my head), practical use. And its a way to make some coins starting out (in a perfect world...err mmorpg world). Catch some fish, weird stuff etc...bra, who knows. Hey thats some sort fo armour....sort of...better then nothing. Fish scale, fish bone, lots of possiblities. Orcs like fish, oh wait, gnolls.

• 106 posts
    December 15, 2016 5:05 PM PST

Hey everyone. Yeh! Fishing is official. Time to save up for that fishing pole and see what we can catch lol. Learn to swim too.

• 3852 posts
    December 15, 2016 5:48 PM PST

Enough people (not including myself) love it that it should be incuded if feasible. Ideally as a true harvesting profession (as in FFXIV) rather than a minor skill that people can do but that isn't all that useful (Rift).

I note that FFXIV may have the best fishing animations I've seen in an MMO. I also note that this makes it rather slow. They do give more skill points for catching a fish than for mining a node or botanizing a tree ...botanizing? Never mind.

• 106 posts
    December 16, 2016 2:06 PM PST

Hi hi. I would not be surprised if while fishing, you caught a fish boss or a very veryberry big fish that ended up in combat mode. And can only use your fishing pole to melee or range attack. Range cast...drum roll....(of course this would be a solo thing).

• 1618 posts
    December 17, 2016 11:40 AM PST

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. 

Teach a man to fish and he will sit all day on the shore drinking beer.

This post was edited by Beefcake at December 17, 2016 11:40 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    December 31, 2016 8:53 PM PST

I love fishing,  hope I can make things from the fish I catch..maybe a special potion or cook up a fish flavoured steak.  :)

• 61 posts
    December 31, 2016 8:59 PM PST

From what I  understand Frogloks are great bait for large-mouth bass.

• 70 posts
    January 2, 2017 10:57 AM PST

Ravenwolf said:

Hey everyone. Yeh! Fishing is official. Time to save up for that fishing pole and see what we can catch lol. Learn to swim too.

Great news!  I'm looking forward to fishing in Pantheon.  I'm looking forward to seeing a deep and fun fishing system!

• 144 posts
    January 4, 2017 12:17 PM PST

I would definitely fish for cooking/crafting purposes. Really hope it is able to go in sooner than later.

Loved fishing in WoW and loved that you could find a nice quiet pond or lake or if you wanted... or stretch of ocean shore I guess or ffs you could actually fish in molten lava if you wanted to lol

The combination of awesome landscape/scenery, sweet in game music or otherwise, and the ability to just chill and relax and fish if you felt like it to work on crafting and skilling up was for me very relaxing

• 1618 posts
    January 4, 2017 12:19 PM PST

I have never understood the draw of fishing in game or IRL.

• 294 posts
    January 4, 2017 1:16 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I have never understood the draw of fishing in game or IRL.

Its all about the mystery Beefcake.

You never know exactly what you might catch, IRL, and especially in a fantasy based mmorpg.

I love fishing but it isn't for everyone I guess.

• 97 posts
    January 4, 2017 1:32 PM PST

Did someone say fishing rod that procs beer?

• 144 posts
    January 4, 2017 2:17 PM PST

Quintra said:

Did someone say fishing rod that procs beer?

omfg yes please devs

• 1618 posts
    January 4, 2017 3:16 PM PST

Maybe I could fish in game if it was more exciting. EQ2 fishing was boring.

• 144 posts
    January 4, 2017 3:33 PM PST

Agreed, EQ2 fishing was just frustrating and very boring.

WoW fishing is pretty cool imo now, I'm hoping Pantheon takes inspiration from their current system. It is not too attention demanding, fairly forgiving if you misclick a little and re-click your bait to catch the fish and it is mostly relaxing nothing stressful or annoying about it imo. You can even fish pretty much off the little "splaooosh!" noise when your bobber gets a hit, so your poor strained eyes are not having to stare at that damn bobber constantly for a minute at a time or until you get a hit. The original implementation of WoW fishing tho? No thanks. It was horrible. You needed a reaction time that would make Chuck Norris jealous and the time spent vs reward was terrible. Now, you can get mounts from fishing even like the mr turtle mount and all kinds of other cool things.

Either way, staring at or listening to a floating bobber for breif periods of time and reacting to movement of said bobber is not going to float everyones boat, but if made fun will be cool for crafters and not an annoyance. I am hoping there are lots of people who want to cook and do not want to fish though, so I can sell some of my catch every day. Also hoping to see fishing produce more than just things for cooking, ie maybe some fish can drop spell components as part of their anatomy, similar to the fire beetle eye for druids Flame Lick spell, maybe the Dark Myr could have a spell that requires a certain type of fish eye. In WoW, fish oils are used for alchemy and inking scrolls iirc too

Lots of possibilities!

This post was edited by Portalgun at January 4, 2017 3:34 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:55 AM PST

Portalgun said:

Agreed, EQ2 fishing was just frustrating and very boring.

WoW fishing is pretty cool imo now, I'm hoping Pantheon takes inspiration from their current system. It is not too attention demanding, fairly forgiving if you misclick a little and re-click your bait to catch the fish and it is mostly relaxing nothing stressful or annoying about it imo. You can even fish pretty much off the little "splaooosh!" noise when your bobber gets a hit, so your poor strained eyes are not having to stare at that damn bobber constantly for a minute at a time or until you get a hit. The original implementation of WoW fishing tho? No thanks. It was horrible. You needed a reaction time that would make Chuck Norris jealous and the time spent vs reward was terrible. Now, you can get mounts from fishing even like the mr turtle mount and all kinds of other cool things.

Either way, staring at or listening to a floating bobber for breif periods of time and reacting to movement of said bobber is not going to float everyones boat, but if made fun will be cool for crafters and not an annoyance. I am hoping there are lots of people who want to cook and do not want to fish though, so I can sell some of my catch every day. Also hoping to see fishing produce more than just things for cooking, ie maybe some fish can drop spell components as part of their anatomy, similar to the fire beetle eye for druids Flame Lick spell, maybe the Dark Myr could have a spell that requires a certain type of fish eye. In WoW, fish oils are used for alchemy and inking scrolls iirc too

Lots of possibilities!

Yes I think WoW fishing is pretty interesting. Occasionally, I wish I could just periodically press the fishing button to level up the skill while I am watching TV or whatever. But that may not be in the spirit of the game. If it should be more of an involved process, I think WoW's degree of interaction in fishing is just right.

• 174 posts
    January 5, 2017 10:49 AM PST

Perhaps different types of fishing too.  Fly fishing, could have a meter to time the perfect cast; deep sea fishing during boat rides, might pull up agressive dark myr!; noodling, would be interesting to see certain races have the ability to stick their hands in the water and pull up a catfish or some such thing.  Just throwing out ideas, cause I know the developers are looking for things to fill up their spare time. :p