Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Fishing?

• 3016 posts
    October 24, 2017 9:33 AM PDT

Nephele said:

I'm ok with a fishing minigame - here's sort of how I see it, in order of priority:

1) Fish should be useful for crafting (cooking, alchemy etc)

2) Fishing should be easy/inexpensive to start

3) Just like all other forms of crafting/gathering - gear should matter.  Get a better rod, better boots, better bait == catch bigger/more exotic fish

4) Exotic fish should come from exotic places

5) Some sort of minigame similar to crafting is ok, but don't make it super twitchy.  Fixing should be relaxing, with challenge when you're trying to reel in that really big monster you just hooked.

Even a fishing apron with pockets to put things in would probably do the trick..with maybe a tackle box.  :)

• 13 posts
    October 24, 2017 10:42 PM PDT

higher fishing skill should allow you better casting control and targeting. Say you wanted to side arm flip the lure across the water but low enough to shoot under a set of low lying branches, to access the fish hiding in the shade. You could fail and get snagged in the tree losing your lure and scaring away the fish. 

If fly fishing is your style then casting your line up screem and letting it float down past the swarm of fish. Higher skill could alow you to do this witout spooking the fish near you or cast farther up stream. 

Bait fishing would still be one of the more basic styles typically a bobber style for a mid depth bait presentation, or some other feedback system for a sinker style bottom bait presentation.

Boat fishing could entail trolling or stationary fishing approaches. requiring different bait and tackle for each method, again with varying depths of bait presentation. 

Deep see fishing could require harpoons, and strong cables or ropes for line.

Spears should be usable in all depths of water but requiring different skill levels and types of spears/tirdents.

Not just fishing poles and bait should have tiers but also things like nets, fishing line, and other tackle.

Fishing should have many choices that can help or hinder you depending on what and where you are fishing and the gear you use. That said it should also be something easy enough for anyone to do. Fishing from boats can be a group event, especially when deep sea fishing. Or give benifits when trolling, no fun running the boat into the rocks because you were trying to grab the line with a fish on. 2 or more people could even be required or at least decrease difficulty when reeling in a shark or other large catch.

• 4 posts
    October 30, 2017 4:37 PM PDT

Lagencie said:

Not sure if anyone of you guys plays Black Desert.

But the Fishing System there is quite nice. You can find keys and Ancient Relics during fishing.

These keys can be used for Chests throughout the whole World (random location spawns in the whole world).

The Ancient Relics can be combined and can be used to spawn Relic Bosses (You can say like you find a few Ancient Tablets and if you have all you can read the Letters for an Ancient Summoning Spell). Which gives pretty nice rewards.

And for sure the Fishing Part itself - its a pretty nice money maker, as there are fishing Vendors that sell more or less for common / rare / ultimate rare fish species.

Black Desert itself made it completely afkable so it autofishes but at a very slow rate - or do it manually and fast. Only breaking rods hinder you from 24/7 afk fishing ^^

This is my first response to a thread. However, I have been watching this game for over a year now. I chose to contribute to this descussion because it reflects the reason that I am anticipating this game so much.

I agree with most of the ideas on fishing so far. I love the idea of gear and skills improving the chances of catching quality fish. I also agree that fish must have some value to cooks and alchemists etc.  and finding an unexpected treasure would be an awesome surprise. I dissagree that with the idea that it could be automated. I do not have nearly as much MMO experience as many of the people here, but I played FFXIV for a couple of years in the very early days of the game. The bots that would stand in one spot for hours fishing with names like "lkjhasdf" ruined it for me. To me this game stands out because it has the same group and social aspects that I loved in FFXIV. It also appears that it will be a very challenging game that will reward hard work and punish mistakes. Creative macros? of course, but a 24hr automated process for anything will, for me, degrade the experience.

Thanks,

Khopir    

• 4 posts
    October 30, 2017 6:33 PM PDT

Edit: FFXI not FFXIV

• 213 posts
    October 30, 2017 7:56 PM PDT

Fishing in Pantheon is one of the things I look forward to most!  Any devs care to share some juicy details about what you guys have in mind?  Curious minds want to know! I'll take any details at this point, even if vague.  Lol.   I just want to dream a bit.  ❤️

• VR Staff
    • 5 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:29 AM PDT

Gamerchick said:

Fishing in Pantheon is one of the things I look forward to most!  Any devs care to share some juicy details about what you guys have in mind?  Curious minds want to know! I'll take any details at this point, even if vague.  Lol.   I just want to dream a bit.  ❤️

It's too early to give specifics about fishing right now other than we are working on it.

We do read all comments on the forums so please keep posting what you would like to have in fishing.

• 126 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:59 AM PDT

NO! No fishing. Fishing is bad mmmkay. :)

Just kidding but I could never force myself to fish in EQ or WoW (yes, I played that game). Just SOOOO boring having to click and aim that stupid bobber at specific fish pools.

• 40 posts
    November 3, 2017 6:47 AM PDT

I like fishing as a relaxing diversion from fighting etc, and hope it will also be a means to get resources for cooking, and I would love to see some skills opening up as your fishing level increase.

Perhaps, The ability to make creels for shellfish. If ships/boats are in game different size nets relevant to the vessel your in. Group deep sea fishing with a team of 6 dragging in their bounty would be fun :).

• 98 posts
    November 4, 2017 10:55 PM PDT

I know this isn't an example from an MMO but I actually find the fishing mini game in Okami pretty fun. You 'fight' the fish by pulling in the opposite direction the fish is swimming, but you have to be careful how hard you pull so you don't get too tired or hurt from the strain. Then at some point when the fish is close enough, it jumps up in the air and you get to use the celestial brush to slash it and make it weaker/catch it.

Here's a video of Okami's fishing mini game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G753iM8C_0Y

With an inventory limit, the different species of fish can really start to fill up your bags when they take up one slot each. I think that's the thing I've found most annoying about MMO fishing. You can stack different fish together IRL but all MMO toons are OCD to the extreme and sort everything no matter what! I mean what if we had a system where we couldn't even identify fish species without reading a book and having high fishing skill? *ramble ramble*

• 12 posts
    November 11, 2017 7:32 PM PST

I have an idea for different "levels" of fishing.

First you have the basic fishing mode, it is simple, you cast, wait until you get a bite and reel it in. This is good for catching basic fish and junk/trasure and you just use a basic fishing pole and bait.

Next you have more advanced fishing, you use an advanced pole specific to the type of place you are fishing such as Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Rivers and Oceans. This takes more work, and require a bit of twitch gaming, you have to reel in in a short time frame after the bite or risk loosing the fish.

You can then go even more advanced and use Pole and Bait combinations for optimizing catching specific kinds of fish, require even more twitch where you have to react to multiple inputs that may indicate pulling right or left, giving slack ect in order to reel in the catch.

With the increased player skill required should also come increased rewards, improving the quality and rarity of the fish you catch.

This will allow those who want to do it as more of a passtime to be able to just do the basic fishing, and those who want it to be more of a mini-game to be able to select the advanced fishing options.

• 213 posts
    February 18, 2018 2:56 PM PST

Ceythos said:

I'm holding out hope we'll be able to fit it in at some point for many of the reasons listed above. In addition, it's part nostalgia for me. My dad used to love fishing and it was our thing when I was growing up. It's one of the reasons I was really eager to have helped with the initial content creation for fishing in Vanguard.

It's too early to say when or if fishing fits the timeline for production, but it's on my personal wish list :)

This makes me happy.  Just curious if you wouldn't mind throwing out some ideas you have for fishing, how involved it will be, if npc's will have fishing quests and rewards, what your thoughts on this subject in general are.   :).   

• 168 posts
    March 13, 2018 12:08 PM PDT

Fishing is a gathering skill, the effort applied should be no more or less than gathering wood, herbs, or metals. It perhaps should take longer than picking a flower or mining a node of metal does though.

A fond fishing memory: Fishing in WoW had achievements that included catching rare fish that spawned only in certain places. As a member of the Horde, to get a certain rare spawn fish, I had to fish in the lava within an Alliance city. A person that was basically KoS (opposite faction) to hundreds of NPC's and players, had to somehow manage to get in to the center of the city and then successfully farm up the rare spawn by completing hundreds and thousands of casts into the lava. Spent 90-100 hours fishing there (from a hidden spot) but never did get that rare spawn....

There may or may not be achievements in this game but there are factions.

• 70 posts
    March 26, 2018 6:57 PM PDT

The Dev. video highlighting Monk play mentions fishing. 

Cory said that there will be secondary skills available and fishing will be one of them. No promises when. 

I like EQ fishing, and becasue so far, so much of what I've seen in the vides and notebooks is mirroring EQ, I hope it's similar for PRF.

EQ charged a fairly heavy price for a pole for low level, at 2 silver that was expensive. And they broke too. And you have to buy a new one. The can of worms was cheap though.

Fishing let us feed ourselfs, fish was a good food. Lasted longer than muffins. The sandles could be worn or sold. The rusty knives could be used as a weapon, sharpened as a blacksmith practice skill up, and sold. I think we also caught old boots.

The animation was good. Load the pole, cast, see the bobbin bob in water and pull in fish, see the fish flash thru the air. No just 'click on the nametag floating on the water'. 

Later in game, different zones gave diff. fish for cooking recipies. 

I have fond memories of hunting with group all night and then setting down with group along the river bank or pond and drinking brewed ale and fishing and telling tall tales. :)

• 1479 posts
    March 27, 2018 2:16 AM PDT

Graysilk said:

The Dev. video highlighting Monk play mentions fishing. 

Cory said that there will be secondary skills available and fishing will be one of them. No promises when. 

I like EQ fishing, and becasue so far, so much of what I've seen in the vides and notebooks is mirroring EQ, I hope it's similar for PRF.

EQ charged a fairly heavy price for a pole for low level, at 2 silver that was expensive. And they broke too. And you have to buy a new one. The can of worms was cheap though.

Fishing let us feed ourselfs, fish was a good food. Lasted longer than muffins. The sandles could be worn or sold. The rusty knives could be used as a weapon, sharpened as a blacksmith practice skill up, and sold. I think we also caught old boots.

The animation was good. Load the pole, cast, see the bobbin bob in water and pull in fish, see the fish flash thru the air. No just 'click on the nametag floating on the water'. 

Later in game, different zones gave diff. fish for cooking recipies. 

I have fond memories of hunting with group all night and then setting down with group along the river bank or pond and drinking brewed ale and fishing and telling tall tales. :)

Not to cut you, but I'm pretty sure fishing in EQ was just "hit the key with a fishing pole, get a swing animation and a few seconds later, get a catch/miss  splash with a second swing animation and possibly an item on your cursor", from what I remember, there was no line, no fish flying, and nothing involved except clicking a button facing water.

But thoses were old mmo's time, when table top RPG with raw% chance on skills were added, because back then, non could imagine minigames were necessary, as rolling a dice on a table was an excitement by itself.

• 3852 posts
    March 27, 2018 9:00 AM PDT

I avoid fishing like the plague in MMOs. But Pantheon may be an exception.

Not because the system will be so good - though it may be - but because of the slower pace of the game. 

I hopefully will not spend an hour fishing and regret afterwards that I wasted time that could have gotten me from level 30 to level 57. Losing out on going from 30.1 to 30.14 I can live with.

Ideally fish will be useful for cooking or the like, and one will occasionally be able to make a really nice catch into a housing trophy. I doubt if we need to plant magic weapons, armor and relics in the lakes and rivers to give us an incentive to fish.

• 5 posts
    March 29, 2018 9:03 PM PDT

It was definitely something to do while you're Afkish, or waiting for friends/raid/get a group. It's a skill requiring a small amount of patience...hah.

• 4 posts
    April 5, 2018 2:31 PM PDT

I love fishing in games so much! And I don't know why!

I would spend hours fishing in Everquest just for fun (and for Cobalt Codfish). And when I first started playing, my PC wouldn't run the game at anything better than about 2fps, so I would spend all my time fishing off the docks in Qeynos talking to my boyfriend via chat.

I have really enjoyed the fishing in WoW, and all the fishing quests and rewards.

I can very much see myself getting into fishing in Pantheon, and liking what I've read about it so far!

This post was edited by Xanthe at April 5, 2018 2:32 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    May 8, 2018 6:12 PM PDT

Group fishing raid...your object is to catch a Kraken!  :) ( or some other large marine monster) :)   Done off the deck of your ship. :)

• 363 posts
    July 5, 2018 12:35 PM PDT

Fishing is awesome. Whether its to chill or for cooking. My girlfriend and I would sometimes just fish and talk buy the water gathering stuff to cook for ourselves or sell. Its very relaxing to me.

• 2138 posts
    August 3, 2022 8:44 AM PDT

Nephele said:

[...]

4) Exotic fish should come from exotic places

[...]

I wanted to  Necro this thread to add that I hope its not just ONE exotic fish from an exoptic place, but that there are a few exotic types in a given exotic place. Maybe on a common, uncommon, rare, ultra-rare ranking. If there is one place where an insane RNG factor can be applied I think it is in fishing partly because of my perceived player attitude towards it once one has a level of proficiency. Like the RL hobby, one can dive in and get detailed with the accoutrements (I'm looking at you, Fly fishers) or one can be casual- BUT the common practice it to treat it like a casual pass-time. If there is a random moment, I will drop a line, and like the lottery if I get the winner?(ultra-rare) great! and if I don't I'm not devastated/rage-quitting. 

• 174 posts
    August 6, 2022 10:22 AM PDT

I liked skimming over this post again just to see the names of folks you just don't see posting that much anymore, including myself! I do agree there is alot that can be done with fishing, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Not certain how involved Nephele is planning on going with it, but different styles of fishing, different water types, seasonal fishing (ice fishing), and as just mentioned hopefully fish rarity. Not only can rare crafting components be had by getting the extremely rare fish, but it would lend itself to fishing tournaments, where a lucky cast could help you win. One last thought on the rarity issue, I think it could also apply to items fished up. Along with the rusty daggers of the past you could snag all sorts of things, a six pack of dwarven ale left to cool in a river, and forgotten. A key to some unknown chest, and perhaps the chest itself eventually. A ring to rule them all! (ok maybe that's a bit much). A map, or note, fragment, requiring fishing up more for completion, promising of a lost treasure, be it coin, weapon or the recipe to Klargs famous, gnome brined, ogre pickels!

I'd like to see a pretty good variation in length and weight in the common fish too, this helps with fishing competition, and might allow you to "gather" more fishing materials for provisioning. It would seem natural to get more from a 100 lb. halibut vs a 50 pounder, but again I don't know how involved Neph is planning on going with fishing.

Lastly I hope that with an upgraded fishing pole, upgraded waders, upgraded fishing vest and hat, you get the idea, that you can move ultra-rare to merely extremely rare (extremely rare is less rare than ultra-rare, isn't it?).