Forums » The Enchanter

What I loved (and didn't) about being an Enchanter

• 612 posts
    March 15, 2016 6:40 PM PDT

Again, hoping just to start a community discussion on what people loved (and didn't) about this class mostly from EQ1.

My favorite thing was taking a total chaotic situation, like a terrible pull, and making it orderly.  I loved the non-stop adrenalin rush of keeping half-dozen mobs mezzed while my group beats them down.

My absolute favorite spell in all of EQ was AoE mezz where I could (pre-nerf) mesmerize 5 mobs at a time.  I loved the absolute awe my group had when they saw their enchanter turn a terrible total wipe situation into an orderly one-by-one mow-down of their enemies.   

Like SOW, there were times chanters were only wanted for crack and nothing more.

I was all about crowd control.  For a short while I exclusively charmed while two-boxing with my druid but I never really liked it because (like invis dropping) I didn't like the total randomness of charm dropping, with no warning and no skill to counter it.  I know its a risk-for-reward but it seemed too random and unassociated with gameplay.  I didn't like that.  In fact it's the reason I didn't do it much.

I hated the chanter pet - it was useless and would die so instantly it wasn't worth the time to memorize a spelland summon a new one.  Totally worthless.

I wish the weaken and debuff spells had more use outside raids and I wished the illusions meant something meaningful to faction but they were just eye-candy.

For, me, I most look forward to crowd control on an enchanter, especialyl AoE mezzing.

This post was edited by fazool at March 15, 2016 7:20 PM PDT
    • 55 posts
    March 15, 2016 6:59 PM PDT

fazool said:

Again, hoping just to start a community discussion on what people loved (and didn't) about this class mostly from EQ1.

My favorite thing was taking a total chaotic situation, like a terrible pull, and making it orderly.  I loved the non-stop adrenalin rush of keeping half-dozen mobs mezzed while my group beats them down.

My absolute favorite spell in all of EQ was AoE mezz where I could (pre-nerf) mesmerize 5 mobs at a time.  I loved the absolute awe my group had when they saw their enchanter turn a terrible total wipe situation into an orderly one-by-one mow-down of their enemies.   

Like SOW, there were times chanters were only wanted for crack and nothing more.

I was all about crowd control.  For a short while I exclusively charmed while two-boxing with my druid but I never really liked it because (like invis dropping) I didn't like the total randomness of charm

dropping, with no warning and no skill to counter it.  I know its a risk-for-reward but it seemed too random and unassociated with gameplay.  I didn't like that.  In fact it's the reason I didn't do it much.

I hated the chanter pet - it was useless and would die so instantly it wasn't worth the time to memorize a spelland summon a new one.  Totally worthless.

I wish the weaken and debuff spells had more use outside raids and I wished the illusions meant something meaningful to faction but they were just eye-candy.

For, me, I most look forward to crowd control on an enchanter, especialyl AoE mezzing.

I am with you on my favorite memories being turning many total wipe situations into a win with Mez.  I also learned a lot more about the class my 2nd go around on P99 and really learning to effectively charm.  It wasn't really as risky as it seemed and the rare times I died do to charm were when I tried risky fights like charming yellows.

One of the annoyances was constantly being pinged to clarity/haste folks but it wasn't too bad... And yea the Enchanter pets were completely pontless.

This post was edited by Vaildez at March 15, 2016 7:00 PM PDT
    • 11 posts
    March 15, 2016 9:49 PM PDT

The illusions in eq where not just eye candy if you where having trouble with them I am guessing you picked a god that was good or evil. I didn't have any problem with running a woodelf in dark elf illusion around neriak or my dark elf chanter running the stine of mogok quest using illusions 

• 108 posts
    March 16, 2016 12:01 PM PDT

My very favorite thing about being an Enchanter was the level 1 spell "Minor Illusion". It would turn you into some random object present in that zone like a rug or a brazier of coals!

(Just one more thing they nerfed though :-( you can hardly use it anywhere now. Too OP I guess!)

• 156 posts
    March 16, 2016 1:50 PM PDT

I was originally a Ranger but had an ENC bot and locked down a train with AE mez and the mobs all stood there drooling.  My ENC bot basically became my main right after that.  The adrenaline rush, I was hooked.

I was primarily a CC Enchanter but could handle charm well enough when I needed or wanted to.  I just really liked CC.

What I didn't like about being an Enchanter was "C plz," uh, no.  No Sir.  I did give clarity for donations sometimes, but only when someone was offering a lot of plat.  Money talks, and it was rare someone was offering enough to pique my interest.  I was just as happy to give it away for free when I saw someone actually knew how to spell out 'please.'

• 9 posts
    April 7, 2016 3:00 PM PDT

Fazool,

I wouldn't say the enchanter pet was totally worthless. When I had free time during the week, I would go and farm the splitpaw whips that proc'd a stun. I found it was great to give that to the pet, it became pretty awesome for keeping casting mobs from nuking you repeatedly. I think the pet had its uses, even if it was rather squishy.

• 156 posts
    April 7, 2016 5:15 PM PDT

Serani said:

Fazool,

I wouldn't say the enchanter pet was totally worthless. When I had free time during the week, I would go and farm the splitpaw whips that proc'd a stun. I found it was great to give that to the pet, it became pretty awesome for keeping casting mobs from nuking you repeatedly. I think the pet had its uses, even if it was rather squishy.

That's a good point!

While earlier in EQ before direct damage actually became pretty legit in itself I used to tash and sit down so I could get hit to get my animation to aggro, I too used it to farm items.  Like, silk, or whatever acrylia ore, stuff.

I'd AE tash everything and let the little bugger get to work.  Way later on when you could teach it to attack via AA's.  I used it regularly in EXP groups, in raids it was -splat- city so I rarely used it there.

• 9 posts
    April 7, 2016 6:19 PM PDT

I think that the Enchanter animation, like the enchanter class as a whole, shined because of it's utility; rather than it's DPS. I'm completely biased though, I never played any other class as well as I played an enchanter. I am really looking forward to seeing what we have in store come release. I'm catching up on about a year's worth of posts, I'll catch up eventually. The differences in EQ1 vs EQ2 were easiest to see there, EQ1 let us truly focus on utility. EQ2 sort of forced us to choose which part of the old eq experience we liked best and then made us stay there. Phantasmist had the higher dps and the better charm, the illusionist had 'everything else'.

More than anything I want the full enchanter experience again, I would be ok with parts of the PSI as well. I'm getting a bit nostalgic looking at some of the screen shots, in truth, it's starting to look like a real mix of EQ1 and VG. 

Getting back on topic for a moment, in response to the original post. I think what I loved most about the Enchanter was our actual utility. I've seen so many games in the last 10 years that have glossed over crowd control, favoring absurd amounts of AoE dps. Don't get me wrong, the beginning of the end of crowd control as we knew it, was Velk's lab, at least in my opinion. Those crystal spiders represented what I think was the first "good opportunity' to grind AA in EQ1. Most of the people that played enchanters full time, at least on the Test Server, saw that groups in full raid gear were finally able to worry a bit less about dying at this point in time. I hope that the developer's, whichever way they choose, don't start to favor DPS over CC. Even with huge dps, especially with AoE DPS - the utility of the enchanter begings to diminish. So long as the tank can taunt, the healer can heal and the DPS can burn them down - enchanters are only there to be mana battery's and haste bots. I've seen a handful of enchanters that fully utilized their spellbooks over the years. 

Devs - PLEASE keep the classes relevant. through expansions and whatever comes in the future. We had mobs that couldn't be mez'd, that could be charmed - Firegiants come to mind. We had mobs around Velious that were impervious to both, Kael Drakkal was it? As a design tenet- let the classes be useful. Don't start thinking that "at a certain point, mez isn't a good plan" (it happened before, and the class suffered). By the time PoP came out, the population playing enchanters was low. The class spent a good deal of time doing nothing but casting KEI and haste, the players got bored of being useless, quit logging in and then either made alts or went to another game. Now I admit that I have a different perspective as an ENC who played on Test. Anyone that played on production likely had a VERY different experience than those that played on Test. I could make a case for Test being how the game was meant to be played, but that is certainly another lengthy discussion for another point in time.'

I loved being the class that was useful. I hated becoming that class that was only there to cast two spells. That about sums up my perspective, I think.

-SERANI

• 29 posts
    July 20, 2016 7:34 PM PDT

What I loved the most was controlling chaotic pulls. The thing about being an excellent enchanter was that you'd blend into the background. "Oh you pulled 7 mobs? Well I've got things perfectly timed out and I control these other 6 with stuns and mezzes", and that was it. Man was it ever satisfying.

Thinking about it now I realize how tricky it really was. Even clicking to target mobs could be an issue. I remember using the different camera views and rotating and tilting the camera to target hard to see mobs, all in the blink of an eye.

What I hated most was the outside levels, about 1 to 24 and then 60-65. At the low levels it was about not getting to be an enchanter. Those levels were a real slog. You couldn't really contribute a whole lot. Mezz was mostly uncalled for, no really good buffs to speak of, nukes that drew instant agro, and dots that weren't worth the mana because mobs died so fast. 

Then the high levels became casting crack and haste during raids. The only time I can remember mezzing during a raid was when I had to mez some giant snake guard for 45 minutes in the temple of ssz'arth or whatever it was called while everyone else killed the main boss. Again, this boils down to "not getting to be an enchanter".

No matter what though the good far outweighed any bad and this class was by far the most fun, and most challenging, experience I've ever had playing any game.

This post was edited by prongbuck at July 20, 2016 7:37 PM PDT
    • 43 posts
    July 27, 2016 2:31 PM PDT

I agree. The enchanter in EQ  was a very fun class to play because it kept you busy and on the edge of your seat.  

I loved the ability to lock down crazy pulls, have them organized and debuffed and ready for the tank to take one at a time.  We had many skills that made crowd control fun to play. Sometimes it made more sense to root, tash and memblur. Even once the chaos was locked down you were usually watching to see any other adds coming to the camp, sitting for mana but on the edge of your seat watching for adds or hoping you get enough mana back before your mezz breaks.

Regardless of the tools provided if you were not well versed in how to play your class, paying attention and alert you were very seldom invited back to the same group twice. 

I personally love the ability to buff people with buffs that last longer than 30 seconds.  I think being able to cast buffs that people want and need allows us to be supportive in the community as well as being functional in the game world.  I loved buffing others, it also helps with the feeling of a community. 

Having spells like slow, root, tash and memblur allow us to be functional in content where mezzing is not necessarily the best option. Being able to slow mobs was valuable and something groups looked for. Enchanter pulls inc..... So when you put the package together we have the ability to crowd control, debuffs, and buff others.  These are the things that I think keep Enchanters unique and fun to play as well as being a class others seek for a group. 

I'm not sure  yet whether I think mezzes should be nonbreakable but I do think a shorter-term aoe mezzes are a great tool.  I remember using the shorter-term aoe mezz  just to get out of the fire and then taking the time to single target cc each mob from there.  I remember learning how to pull when required, that was fun. 

Targeting was definitely a skill, and one that required you to make sure you were paying attention to which mob the tank was on and which ones you needed to take care.  It required conversation within the group to communicate what everybody was doing so that everybody was on the same page. I feel this was helpful in geting to know each other as they were strategizing and working together as a team. The feeling of accomplishment when the mobs were dead was celebrated  amongst the team. 

Playing an Enchanter was rewarding for me, and I honestly enjoyed hearing people say "oh my God I can't believe we survived" Or "omg I am  so happy we found an enchanter ". Clerics that cheer when you join a group because they know the mobs will be slowed and controlled which makes their job easier.  I used to say "Living in the moment between broken mezzes and becoming red dust, the life of an enchanter". I'm looking forward to that experience again in pantheon. 

This post was edited by AlexisSummerwood at July 27, 2016 2:37 PM PDT
    • 2013 posts
    July 27, 2016 9:18 PM PDT

Im not sure if I will make an Enchanter or not (I want Bard but will have to settle for something til then). I respect the fact that people really love CC, and I think Enchanter should excell at it. However, I am firmly in the buffer/debuffer (non-healer) camp. So while I hope CC is important, I also hope that Pantheon doesnt let buffing/debuffing fall by the way side. In other words I hope its not just an after thought thrown in when they dont know what else to do with a class, only something hybrids do, or tacked on to all CC classes. Hopefully Bard fills my needs as a true buffer/debuffer Main primary class. Until then I hope they do it justice on other classes, including Enchanter, and not just make it an after thought. Or else dont half-ass it. If Enchanter isnt really meant to be a buffer then dont give them any. Buffers/Debuffers should be a dedicated and important role not to be taken lightly.

• 674 posts
    July 28, 2016 12:56 AM PDT

I loved every aspect of my EQ1 Chanter, almost always charmed a pet unless only reds were available, charming takes a bit of effort at times but if you have a good stun, tash charm system down pat when it breaks its easy enough to control.  The DPS and off tanking was very valuble with a charmed pet of the rigth variety.  CC as almost everyone has mentioned is by far the most fun i have had as any class type. 

Prongbuck mentioned he didnt do much mezzing with his groups, I am definitely not in the same boat with my experience, I have only found is the case if you have a well and truly twinked group or if your taking pretty easy or primarily blue mobs.  I am currentlly back in Unrest having another go at eq on Phingel server, most groups are quite twinked i am still playing a massive role with CC in all the groups and this keeps healers happy, tanks happy and well everyone happy so I am not experiencing the same thing he did this time around even with lots of twinks in the group and certainly wasnt the case my 1st time around back in the beginning where quality equip was rare. 

Buffing is grrreat!! Makes you feel good, its great to help others! I love being a crack dealer and everyone loved Clarity... match made in heaven :p  its was always free through me and I usually do a shout in a zone passing through that if they meet me at x location they can get clarity and or haste or yell out "sitting at Zone to Neriak if anyone wants some crack!" I like adding to the buff and buff alike vibe that eq had and still has but there is nothing wrong with making some coin out of it, each to their own on that one.  Side note i was never good at making money in EQ probably because of this :p

Debuffing was probably the area i was less fond of, always used slow when needed, but if mobs went down fast and your locking other mobs down during the fight your probably better off adding a DD or stun to assist target rather then loading a debuff on for such a quick kill. but in a long drawn out fight obviously slow is ridiculously good. The other debuffs were not hugely effective except the listless power line lowering AC etc was ok, it would be nice to have Debuffs that actually make a difference, -Str debuff never had any noticable effect except maybe to encumber someone during a duel?

Pulling as a chanter is great, almost too easy sometimes but obviolusly being squishy things can go very wrong very fast! but AoE mez and Lull makes it still nerveracking but quite easy to do.

In my latest play through i have really been focusing on doing all the above in almost every group i play in, its a lot of work but it super charges the group beyond anything else.  Loving charming Festering Hags in Unrest, epic damage through dual wielding weapons and some nice wizzy DD to boot, the other good thing about them is they often cast a spell when charm breaks and that gives you plenty of time to stun them before their spell finished casting and because of this you generally take very little damage when it breaks (of course you can get unlucky!).  Being lower HP and high dps they are not being used to be tank (much) though they usually end up stealing agro with there dps and with clarity and haste the slashing and casting just keeps on keeping on!

I would only say the area i was not as big a fan of with enchanter was debuffing as mentioned, everything else i loved so much and am hoping will make the cut for EQ.

One last side note i would like to say is i would prefer charm on Pantheon to be random if it means we get to have the mob in all its damage/hp glory, if charm was permanant or had a set time with no chance to break but that meant the mobs power would be lowered i would be less excited about it!  I thrive on the danger of enchantering and mastering a charmed pet is a great way to add some danger :) 

Oh also it would be nice to be able to drop a charmed mob with one button like you can discard a summoned pet with 1 button instead of having to wait it out or mem invis, When i want to change pets on the fly i want it to be easy and i cant think of any real reason why an enchanter wouldnt be able to break his charm with a mob at any time.  However as i think about it i guess that makes charming mobs way to easy to exploit, if... hmm bad idea.

• 409 posts
    July 28, 2016 10:30 PM PDT
    Absolute 2nd for Charm staying breakable and relatively unpredictable with mobs at full power, Hokanu!
    • 511 posts
    September 28, 2016 1:54 AM PDT

It is surprising nobody mentionned jewelcrafting .

Yet if there was ONE class defining ability then it was enchant metal - only enchanters could do that .

Actually when I first created my enchanter, the motivation was to jewelcraft . I came to like the other skills mez, clarity and charm a bit later and actually the enchanter became my main only a few months after release of EQ in 99 (my really first character was a bard who was an "enchanter light" without metal enchant ability) .

Because of clarity and jewelcrafting, an enchanter was a very (the most ?) social class . I came in contact with people all the time because they needed C or speed or jewelry or enchanted metal and it was exactly the kind of things I liked in MMORPGs . Often I was just sitting in Oasis giving out C and speed and enjoying how happy the people were .

As for the pet, it was only useless in raid configurations and at high levels . Otherwise I was routinely using it when I was soloing blues at low to mid levels and I didn't want to bother with charms or  when I was xping in dungeons .

For instance in LGuk the pet saved the group many times because it gave me just the few seconds I needed to deal with bad adds or mezz breaking .

• 158 posts
    October 31, 2016 7:23 PM PDT

I also started my EQ1 experience as a ranger. i played him until lvl 50. I then made an enchanter( Keiiek) primarily with the idea of making money off of KEI donations. I fell in love with the Enchanter class. It was fun as hell keeping 8-9 mobs mezzed while your group frantically whittled them down to nothing. constantly having to sit down and med while having several mobs mezzed just to make sure you had enough mana to make it through a bad pull.

Then i discovered that the best way to prevent a bad pull from killing the group was to be the puller. I mastered the art of the pull and made myself a boon to people who'd grouped with me before, especially around the LDoN era. i was even allowed to pull on some raids, which felt really good.

when i finally got KEI, i rarely charged for it, which went against the whole reason i made the character in the first place. I would frequently cast MGB KEI at the big bank in POK. the only time I would charge was  if i was leveling and another group in the zone wanted it cast on them.

It took me awhile before i decided to take on jewel crafting. anyone who did jewel crafting knows you end up with a ton of +3 stat rings or other useless items as you skill up. i decided to take all of these stat rings to GFay and offer them up as rewards if any of the newbies in zone could find me.i'd stand still and anounce i was giving away their choice of stat ring if they could find me, all except druids and rangers. then i'd wait for a newb to find me.  for druids and rangers i would shout that i was giving away DEX or STR rings if they could track me down. so i would bind in the middle of the zone and run off in one direction for awhile. Once i felt that they may be getting close to me, i'd cast gate and then run off the other direction. i'd eventually let them catch me, but it was a lot of fun for me, LOL. i had a couple that figured out what i was doing. I assume they were higher level players that were playing newb alts. Memories...

I didnt charm much. I could do it in a pinch if needed or requested of me, but it always felt like carrying nitroglyserin. so i didnt do much soloing and was primarily found in group or LFG. i also rarely used my pet. good idea on the splitpaw whips. i might've used it more if i had thought of doing that. I didnt much like that we didnt have a decent nuke or dot. and yes i hated when unmezzable mobs became a thing.

• 1848 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:48 PM PST

The best part about being an Enchanter is that when you screw up, you can always blame the DPS classes and claim that their DOTs broke your fantastic mez job.

Also, as an Enchanter, I like it when the chat log tells you exactly who broke your mez, so you can call the repeaters out.

• 153 posts
    January 4, 2017 2:35 PM PST

Favorite part of being the ench in EQ was a few things for me.Imo they were one of the most versatile and desirable classes to have in any party.

I really like the ability to take the pressure off the healer by CCing their heal agro'd mobs, I liked being able to break camps, and control the fight to some degree and definitely liked the ability to buff others and loved jewelcraft! I absolutely loved charming mobs...  this was my favorite part of being an ench, charming Bouncer Flerb in Feerrott and using him to decimate spectres, charming Osargen in Highpass for his backstabs, charming mobs in the planes etc, throwing a TOLA robe and some proc weaps on an NPC and fully hasting and buffing them (we called this challenge mode for enchanters - when that pet breaks, you better have your defense and AC etc maxxed or you are getting ground up like cornmeal by your charm target) then of course being able to kill the charm target to get your TOLA robe and other stuff back...   made enchanter SO much fun. I liked being able to chainpet, so many things... too many to mention

What did I not like? Really only one thing. The burnout.

I could not play the enchanter as much as I could other classes. You have to have an incredibly high level of situational awareness at all times, and have lightning fast reflexes to be able to toggle through and get the right target to CC if other targeting methods were not available at the time. You were constantly harrassed by mobs you have CC'd and your charm target when charm breaks (unless you used lower level, non-AOE CC, those were a lot lower agro iirc.

All the above combined meant I burnt out a lot faster playing Enchy than I did playing any other class, and had to back off of playing it as much as other classes sometimes as it really did catch up with me if I played the class "properly" and to it's fullest capabilities

I can't wait to see Pantheon enchanter and what it will be,  as compared to the EQ enchanter

• 35 posts
    January 11, 2017 6:16 AM PST

Deadshade said:

It is surprising nobody mentionned jewelcrafting .

Yet if there was ONE class defining ability then it was enchant metal - only enchanters could do that .

Actually when I first created my enchanter, the motivation was to jewelcraft . I came to like the other skills mez, clarity and charm a bit later and actually the enchanter became my main only a few months after release of EQ in 99 (my really first character was a bard who was an "enchanter light" without metal enchant ability) .

Because of clarity and jewelcrafting, an enchanter was a very (the most ?) social class . I came in contact with people all the time because they needed C or speed or jewelry or enchanted metal and it was exactly the kind of things I liked in MMORPGs . Often I was just sitting in Oasis giving out C and speed and enjoying how happy the people were .

As for the pet, it was only useless in raid configurations and at high levels . Otherwise I was routinely using it when I was soloing blues at low to mid levels and I didn't want to bother with charms or  when I was xping in dungeons .

For instance in LGuk the pet saved the group many times because it gave me just the few seconds I needed to deal with bad adds or mezz breaking .

My main was an Enchanter though I never got to level 60 in the vanilla EQI game, though my friend use to use my account and did get my chanter to level 60. I played it to mainly solo and use for jewelcrafting which was the main reason to roll it in the first place. The time when I did group with him was alway fun and I never ever got bored there was always something to do in a group so apart from the Shammy class Enchanter and Druid have always been my favorite toons to play.

• 8 posts
    February 3, 2017 10:51 AM PST

Charm in every aspect was the most memorable part for me.  From dire charm to the normal kind, it was all so very fun and exciting.  I always felt like it could have been taken a step further though.  

When I started playing around with other classes that had charms also, they seemed too similar.  Necros should have had some evil form like Demonic Possession where they would totally leave their own physical body and control the mob exclusively.  Druids and shamans needed to have a more natural beastmaster type of animal control where certain rules of nature limited charmed mob actions to some extent.  

It would be very cool to see stuff like this in a next gen MMO.

• 1 posts
    February 4, 2017 4:51 AM PST

Big fan of the EverQuest Enchanter class, been playing it for 15 years!

If they just copy it for Pantheon, I would be extremely happy.

There's so many fun and challenging aspects to it. Looking forward to reliving the chaotic action!

• 4 posts
    February 4, 2017 12:14 PM PST

I  mained an enchanter in EQ from release until partway through Shadows of Luclin, and I really liked what I brought to my groups as an enchanter.  When I left the game it was because I started feeling like I was irrelevant to parties in the expansion content because of growing enemy CC immunities, and then ultimately even unwanted in lieu of other classes once (mass) KEI casters became commonplace around towns and 'port rings.  I liked providing control and support to my parties, improving everyone's efficiency and performance and keeping the party situation stable.  Breaking camps.  Preventing wipes.  Stopping trains.  And eliminating downtime.  Not every ability I had was useful all of the time - the animation pet is the most often repeated example - but I always had something I could contribute with.  I'd be against long-duration mass buffs though.  While they're convenient, I don't like the idea of anyone being able to provide buffs to a party in a way that discourages that party from recruiting a member for giving them buffs in the field.

Led by WOW in my opinion, MMORPGs in general have largely moved away from the crowd control and the "non-healer support" roles since the mid-2000's.  Especially when you consider the move towards specific dungeon boss encounters in the genre, where bosses can't be crowd controlled and for variety's sake, shouldn't all spawn adds.  So for me the most worrying thing about the enchanter class in Pantheon is the erosion of the mechanical space occupied by crowd controllers and non-healer support characters that's occurred over the last decade in the MMO genre.  So I guess what I'd be watching is less the class design and more the content design, really.

• 1179 posts
    February 4, 2017 7:06 PM PST

Something simple, but I really loved the Stein of Moggok quest.  No matter which race you were, you had to make use of your illusions.  I hope PRF has meaningful ways to use illusions, assuming enchanters in PRF have them.

• 420 posts
    February 21, 2017 6:09 AM PST

Best thing about EQ1 enchanting was a toolkit that showed off different levels of mastery by the player. An incredibly powerful toolkit that in the right hands was almost broken/OP.

Every enchanter gave out crack (haste/clarity) and did the 2-3 mob mezz thing. Proper enchanters were the best pullers in the game and a huge source of DPS, without nukes. Plenty of folks believed monks and bards were puller kings, but enchanters came with a perfect skillset for optimal group exp efficiency. Rune up, give gnoll lariats and haste to sword/board floatie, pull with slow, dispel buffs, tash, silence, whatever. Name the mob, and enchanters alone had the perfect pulling spell for it. Pull 3-4 at once? LOL, whatever. Mezz two, charm one, take a hit and engage floatie pet. Now, the 6 man group has a CC plus 7 DPS.

Increase the difficulty of the spawn/camp, all that does is make enchanters that much better at pulling and racking up xp. Derailing trains was fun and all that, but once I startd being a puller, I understood why enchanters were off the hook. It got easier when they added pet commands in PoP alternate advancement, but in Velious/Luclin era, when you still had to rune and take hits to get floatie to engage, enchanting was living on the edge.

And reverse charm kiting might be the greatest "so you think you can nerf my class and stop me?" response by a player community maybe ever? That makes soloing a breakneck exciting experience.

• 271 posts
    April 2, 2017 2:38 PM PDT

Venjenz said:

Best thing about EQ1 enchanting was a toolkit that showed off different levels of mastery by the player. An incredibly powerful toolkit that in the right hands was almost broken/OP.

Every enchanter gave out crack (haste/clarity) and did the 2-3 mob mezz thing. Proper enchanters were the best pullers in the game and a huge source of DPS, without nukes. Plenty of folks believed monks and bards were puller kings, but enchanters came with a perfect skillset for optimal group exp efficiency. Rune up, give gnoll lariats and haste to sword/board floatie, pull with slow, dispel buffs, tash, silence, whatever. Name the mob, and enchanters alone had the perfect pulling spell for it. Pull 3-4 at once? LOL, whatever. Mezz two, charm one, take a hit and engage floatie pet. Now, the 6 man group has a CC plus 7 DPS.

Increase the difficulty of the spawn/camp, all that does is make enchanters that much better at pulling and racking up xp. Derailing trains was fun and all that, but once I startd being a puller, I understood why enchanters were off the hook. It got easier when they added pet commands in PoP alternate advancement, but in Velious/Luclin era, when you still had to rune and take hits to get floatie to engage, enchanting was living on the edge.

And reverse charm kiting might be the greatest "so you think you can nerf my class and stop me?" response by a player community maybe ever? That makes soloing a breakneck exciting experience.

This sums up my thoughts as well. Enchanters were one of the few classes of the game where the difference between a good enchanter and a bad one was extremely wide and completely changed how groups looked at enchanters after they broke the holy trinity. Good enchanters never had a problem finding a group as hands down their utility toolkit was second to none in 95% of the zones, whereas bad enchanters were frequently sidelined and ussually became KEI bots as those players abandoned them for other classes.

I personnally never had much of an issue, but lets face it the CC game was entirely different after GOD, especially once OOW hit. The death of the holy trinity actually helped me expand my skills more than anything else. Pulling was one of those areas that I found was perfectly suited for Enchanters, especially in some of the later expansions. When mob punting (kick a mob 20 feet in the direction you are facing, root and then memblur) AA's came out it pretty much solidified our already massive pulling toolkit. I still remember all the techniques I used to pull, some of my favorites was using the mob punt to throw 1 mob into another to pull the second mob, you can't tell me it isn't fun to throw mobs at other mobs. My other favorite was using Hoglosh Elder Beads (eye of zomm), Bind Sight to shift my vision around to see the mobs the using Paci to control the mobs I pull and then sending in my lvl 1 enchanter pet to pull the target without even leaving the group. Paci and Bind sight don't need LOS to cast and the pet obviously doesn't need LOS to run and attack, it would swing and miss the mob adding my and it to the aggro list then immediately get crushed by the mob sending the mob running back to me, no damage to the mob so no summoning. 

I look forward to seeing what Enchanters have in store for us in Pantheon.

• 37 posts
    May 18, 2017 8:37 AM PDT

I really also enjoyed being able to help control a situation. Doing well at your CC job could really get you a solid reputation. It was fun having people seek you out in order to push really deep into an area that would otherwise be considered too risky or outright improbable. 

I remember that our group puller accidentally pulled about 20'ish sarnaks at once from the sarnak castle. Our group freaked at first, but I told them to hold their ground and fight cautiously. It took us a good 15-20 minutes, but we actually managed to take them all out, and it was a nail-biting experience! I was constantly having to keep tabs on all the adds and hope I have enough mana. It was nuts...but certainly an experience I'll never forget.