My desires indicate...

Dark Myr Enchanter

Skar Dire Lord

Elf Ranger

Hafling Druid

Human secret class

• 2 posts
    August 16, 2016 8:55 PM PDT

I'm about half and half about race/class restrictions. I'm cool with the idea that certain combinations might not make sense in the lore of the world the game takes place. This though only really works well if there are a lot combinations regardless. As long as there are several different combinations for a particular race or class then I think it works out. 

However, I am not at all a fan of gender locks with classes and races. I can't remember a single time it's ever truly made sense or added anything positive.

• 510 posts
    August 20, 2016 8:02 AM PDT

I know I listed a Skar dire Lord but inreality, from the way I read it, the Skar are a very tribal and nomadic type of society.  They would have Warriors - but not Dire Lords.  They would have shaman - but not clerics.

• 129 posts
    August 21, 2016 2:22 PM PDT

Kilsin,

From one rogue to another, Dark Myr Rogue... Make it happen sir. I have faith in you.

<3

• 9115 posts
    August 21, 2016 5:57 PM PDT

Rogue said:

Kilsin,

From one rogue to another, Dark Myr Rogue... Make it happen sir. I have faith in you.

<3

Definitely a cool combo and one I would expect to be available ;)

<3

• 595 posts
    August 21, 2016 8:41 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Rogue said:

Kilsin,

<3

<3

Oh my....the beans!

• 9115 posts
    August 21, 2016 11:52 PM PDT

Nikademis said:

Kilsin said:

Rogue said:

Kilsin,

<3

<3

Oh my....the beans!

Everyone relax, the beans are sealed and safe! Stand back! lol :D

• 279 posts
    August 21, 2016 11:54 PM PDT

Every Drak Myr Rogue needs a Dark Myr Warrior TBQH

• 595 posts
    August 22, 2016 9:01 AM PDT

Pantz said:

Every Drak Myr Rogue needs a Dark Myr Warrior TBQH

And honestly, what's a Dark Myr Warrior/Rogue duo without a Dark Myr Shaman... 

• 510 posts
    August 22, 2016 5:53 PM PDT

I am seeing it now - SWARMS of Skar running across the plains, yelping and cursing at the same time...  as their numbers start dwindling as my small yet powerful hafling arrows pick them away in one-by-one...

• 137 posts
    August 22, 2016 6:06 PM PDT

WTB racial bonus's so I can theory craft >:)

• 510 posts
    August 22, 2016 8:08 PM PDT

I would imagine that for the most part, Skar could turn ANYTHING into a crude weapon....

• 86 posts
    August 28, 2016 9:09 AM PDT

I am pro class/race restrictions.  However, if you could deviate from the unrestricted class/race combos, maybe that is where exp reductions or modifiers could come in to play.  

Ogre Wizard, Elf Dire Lord, Skar Cleric etc would be creatable, but would have a negative exp modifier.  

Non-traditional class/races combos would be possible, but would require much more work.

This post was edited by Greattaste at August 28, 2016 9:33 AM PDT
    • 187 posts
    August 28, 2016 5:04 PM PDT

Without race/class restrictions, how would I find the edgiest/rarest combo to proudly create and turn heads?

Gnome Dire Lord please!

• 173 posts
    August 31, 2016 9:19 AM PDT

I agree with race/class restrictions where they make sense.  

For example, in EQ the Frogloks were known to be clubmsy on land yet were able to be monks.  Ya, I had one such abomination and while it was fun/funny to play and watch fight it really didn't make sense that a creature that was known to be clumbsy could be a class that was all about physical ability.  

Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.  Your opinion mary very and that's awesome too hehe.

• 25 posts
    September 19, 2016 3:49 PM PDT

I am definitely pro class/ race restrictions ---  one of the many + 's for Everquest;  and with the fairly recent taking away of some of them from EQ2, a big minus ..

( you can now be a high elf coercer ( evil class) as well as an arasai (evil race) illusionist )  took away some of Eq2's charm for me .... there may be others, but haven't logged into 

EQ2 in such a long time, I've lost track of a lot of things ( but I do have those two combos from starting "fresh" on their TLP server, Stormhold )

• 28 posts
    October 4, 2016 11:37 AM PDT

Einelinea said:

you can now be a high elf coercer ( evil class) as well as an arasai (evil race) illusionist 

You could always be a High Elf Coercer in EQ2 it just used to take a long time to complete a quest between lvls 10-20 (My husband did it way back in the early days of EQ2).

As for class/race restriction I'm totally for them but in the event they aren't in place I would hope for some very harsh penalties for the class/race combos that don't make sense.   

As for what I want to play I'm torn at this point between the Dark Myr and the Elves for race and waiting before I decide on Cleric or Druid.  Most likely I'll do one of each just not sure if it'll be a Myr Cleric and Elf Druid or Myr Druid or Elf Cleric.  Some point down the line I will likely end up with a Gnome of some type to play with the Hubby as we have a duo we've played in a couple other games that we'll likely want to keep alive for the fun of the names.

• 172 posts
    October 14, 2016 9:05 PM PDT
    Check out the October news letter and the last question is about the devs race an class selection. It might not necessarily provide a direct answer to all the restrictions but could give us some insight and speculation!
    • 8 posts
    November 3, 2016 8:31 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

tehtawd said:

I suppose if you wanted to make sure a Halfling Warrior could compete with an Ogre Warrior  ‘LORE-WISE’ you could simply replace named abilities such as ‘Hulking Counter’ with a different named ability called “Lighting Repost” and you would be done. You wouldn’t even need to change animations, numbers or anything.

Even though I am not a fan of race/class restrictions, it’s by no means a deal-breaker for me. It’s a disagreement. To me it’s a disservice to your players to inconvenience them by not having a race+class combo they can play they feel comfortable with.

Halfing Warrior to Ogre Warrior is a simpletons comparison as every race had a warrior class from the smallest Gnomes to the biggest Ogres.  If you're going to argue against class/race restrictions at least put in the effort to look at something far more difficult:  Elven Wizard to Ogre Wizard.

You look at the stats, and lets base some assumptions upon previous games where Ogres are highest on the STR/STA, lowest on DEX and fairly low on WIS/INT.  Whereas Elves are highest on WIS/INT, fairly high on DEX and lowest on STR/STA.  What a class can do and how well it does it is based off the stats of stats.  Would you honestly play an Ogre Wizard who's INT was half that of an Elf?  With half the manapool and (most likely) half the speed of leveling casting abilities and half the mana regen rate?  That many many levels down the road you'll always have a manapool that is insignificant to that of an Elf?  where he can cast a top level spells over and over many many times and you run OOM after just a few casts?

Oooh..how about Gnome Enchanter vs Ogre Enchanter where your ability to mez is based off Charisma and everyone knows Ogres have the highest CHA of any race...right?

Wait..one more.  Half-Elf Bard to Ogre Bard.  Would you really play an Ogre bard?

Last one..the ever so sneaky, ever so silent...Ogre Rogue.  You'd play that one, yes?

i believe that if someone wants to play an ogre wizard knowing that they will have a very low mana pool , then they should be given that chance.  I never understood why people say certain races can't be bards. So your saying ogers don't like music or entertainment. 

I agree that if given the opportunity to play weird combos that will set you back with things like very low mana pool or horrible charisma when that is an important stat for that class , very few people will play them. If you want the challenge , then you should be allowed to try it .

• 1778 posts
    November 4, 2016 9:47 AM PDT

Well as odd as it sounds you could also have different classes that draw upon non-typical stats. Like maybe a melee based front line healer Ogre. Main Stat is srength. Uses weapon skills to build stamina and uses a stamina pool to "cast" heals which are based off his strength stat. I know this isn't the same as having a Ogre be a Cleric. But it would be a way to do it. And obviously this would mean low stamina and low strength races would suck at this type of healer. I hope eventually we see unique classes like this. A bit burnt out on traditional classes. Personally I'd still like to see a gambler like class.

This post was edited by Amsai at November 4, 2016 10:46 AM PDT
    • 26 posts
    November 4, 2016 10:46 AM PDT

I have always been a big supporter of race/class restrictions, and major differentiation between races in general. I really don't see the point in having different races if it is purely cosmetic. That being said, I think the lore of the world/universe and setting should be the ultimate deciding factor. 

I admit, I only have limited knowledge of Pantheon's lore at this point, but from my understanding, most if not all races were originally from their own world, presumably where there were no other humanoid races. So for instance, on the Halfling world, it is perfectly reasonable for there to be Halfling warriors or some sort of heavier armor front line fighters. When you have two Halfling armies facing off, this would be "normal." However, when you grab them and throw them onto a world that also has Ogres....all of a sudden a Halfling warrior seems silly, as there is no way a Halfling warrior could ever begin to approach the strength/stamina/physical prowess of an Ogre warrior.

At this point, if there were ever a "war" between Ogres and Halflings, the latter would be forced to alter their tactics. Halflings would never be able to match an Ogre army in an open field in a traditional pitched battle. They would need to adapt a more gorilla or hit and run type tactics. Enter rangers, rogues, druids, bards? to name a few. So, while Halflings may have had warriors in their past, they would be less viable I would think in this environment.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion with many people; I know lots of people love their tiny warriors :P But if the goal is immersion, seeing a Halfling or Gnome warrior standing and trading blows one for one with an Ogre or Giant or Dragon breaks that immersion pretty quick.

This is just one very specific example, but there are many others if the same logic is applied. Now, if all races are allowed to be all or most classes, I could accept that, but as others have suggested, at a severe disadvantage. As in, back on the Ogre home world, an Ogre rogue may not have been so preposterous. I'm sure some Ogres could have trained and learned how to "silent" or "hidden" relative to other Ogres, and be able to pick Ogre sized locks without any issues, but on Terminus, where there are Halflings, Gnomes, Elves, etc...the quietest Ogre is still a lumbering thundering beast :) So in my opinion, an Ogre Rogue wouldn't even be able to Hide/Sneak, or pick a lock crafted by a smaller race.

Sorry for the long winded post, I tend to get carried away and over detailed :P

• 2419 posts
    November 4, 2016 7:19 PM PDT

Scubasteve said:

Vandraad said:

tehtawd said:

I suppose if you wanted to make sure a Halfling Warrior could compete with an Ogre Warrior  ‘LORE-WISE’ you could simply replace named abilities such as ‘Hulking Counter’ with a different named ability called “Lighting Repost” and you would be done. You wouldn’t even need to change animations, numbers or anything.

Even though I am not a fan of race/class restrictions, it’s by no means a deal-breaker for me. It’s a disagreement. To me it’s a disservice to your players to inconvenience them by not having a race+class combo they can play they feel comfortable with.

Halfing Warrior to Ogre Warrior is a simpletons comparison as every race had a warrior class from the smallest Gnomes to the biggest Ogres.  If you're going to argue against class/race restrictions at least put in the effort to look at something far more difficult:  Elven Wizard to Ogre Wizard.

You look at the stats, and lets base some assumptions upon previous games where Ogres are highest on the STR/STA, lowest on DEX and fairly low on WIS/INT.  Whereas Elves are highest on WIS/INT, fairly high on DEX and lowest on STR/STA.  What a class can do and how well it does it is based off the stats of stats.  Would you honestly play an Ogre Wizard who's INT was half that of an Elf?  With half the manapool and (most likely) half the speed of leveling casting abilities and half the mana regen rate?  That many many levels down the road you'll always have a manapool that is insignificant to that of an Elf?  where he can cast a top level spells over and over many many times and you run OOM after just a few casts?

Oooh..how about Gnome Enchanter vs Ogre Enchanter where your ability to mez is based off Charisma and everyone knows Ogres have the highest CHA of any race...right?

Wait..one more.  Half-Elf Bard to Ogre Bard.  Would you really play an Ogre bard?

Last one..the ever so sneaky, ever so silent...Ogre Rogue.  You'd play that one, yes?

i believe that if someone wants to play an ogre wizard knowing that they will have a very low mana pool , then they should be given that chance.  I never understood why people say certain races can't be bards. So your saying ogers don't like music or entertainment. 

I agree that if given the opportunity to play weird combos that will set you back with things like very low mana pool or horrible charisma when that is an important stat for that class , very few people will play them. If you want the challenge , then you should be allowed to try it .

Ok, so flip the argument.  You're a group leader going into a very dangerous dungeon.  You want a wizard in your group.  Are you going to pick the Ogre Wizard that has a manapool the size of a thimble or the Elven Wizard who has near limitless mana? Pick any race/class combination that results in a very sub-par class..are you going to want those in your group?  In your raid?  No, you won't.  Nobody will.  So those people will go groupless more often than not, and then they will turn to the forums and complain incessently that their choice is gimped.  Better to just avoid the problem in the first place.

• 8 posts
    November 5, 2016 7:49 AM PDT

Ok, so flip the argument.  You're a group leader going into a very dangerous dungeon.  You want a wizard in your group.  Are you going to pick the Ogre Wizard that has a manapool the size of a thimble or the Elven Wizard who has near limitless mana? Pick any race/class combination that results in a very sub-par class..are you going to want those in your group?  In your raid?  No, you won't.  Nobody will.  So those people will go groupless more often than not, and then they will turn to the forums and complain incessently that their choice is gimped.  Better to just avoid the problem in the first place.

so you put no importance to knowledge / skill of the player. You just want an elf wizard with a huge mana pool. There is a point in the game when wizards can't just stand there and nuke away. They will pull agro and possible get the group wiped. 

we dont know how the multi colored mana is going to effect wizards or what kinds of mana regens we will have access to. 

As far as letting an ogre wizard into my group, yes I would. If he sucks, I would replace him just like I would an elf wizard that kept over nuking and getting half the group killed. Booting people because they aren't playing what YOU think is the right combo is ( in my opinion ) asinine. 

no offense to anyone , but once the game is out , I won't be on forums. I'll be playing the game. So if someone wants to wine , ***** and complain about how they can't get a group , im good with that. 

• 1618 posts
    January 7, 2017 10:33 PM PST

Overall, I think ANY RACE should be able to play a warrior. All civilizations will have those people that are more physically capable then others. Even in the most magically gifted races, there will be some that just cannot grasp magic as well as others.

I have never bought the argument against gnomes or other small races not being able to have warriors. Hell, in most games, even pixies and brownies have warriors that wear army and carry tiny spears or swords. 

In EQ2 the little brownie soldiers kicked my ass in Lesser Fay Until I got bigger.

• 40 posts
    August 1, 2017 3:27 PM PDT

Reading a lot of peoples opinions and my own experiences from EQ, looking at the class/race chart just doesn't make sense so I came up with this.

http://tinypic.com/r/9kyoef/9

Just my thoughts but to explain a few things.

From reading the Archai are made from arcane... they should be naturally casters. yea being slaves sucks so warrior makes sense, but shaman? really? Arcane made race going with spirits? NO. They need to be "intel casters" from EQ.

Dark Myr again seems more like intel based but with tankier forms but NO on monks.... if you lose your legs in the water you should not be a monk... I mean come on. Druids also just don't feel right... they also have too many class options.. they aren't humans. And if it were not for sirens i would say no on bards too.

Dwarfs really shouldn't be bards in my mind. their songs are more drunken songs to me... and I doubt they would have the voice range needed for magical songs. and Dwarfs as intel casters? enchanters? when smiths living underground, devoting themselves to the forge? No thanks.

Elves Do I really need to say anything? Elves are intelligent... they should get all the more intel caster roles but not druids... elves have always been sophisticated and intelligent. Messed up tho, they should be pallies as well as clerics.

Halfings/skar they got right.... and while I read a post where skar are their trolls... but I don't think so... skars are iksar to me. And i'm sure i'm not alone on that.

Humans should NEVER be shamans... what are they thinking!!! Shamans should be for more barbaric races than humans.... no, they don't have barbs in this game, maybe they will add them. But humans should never get to be shamans. Shamans are for more barbaric and spiritual races like ogers/trolls/iksar/skar whatever... but not human.

Gnomes should also be mostly what they are. But every race needs a fighter class, so I picked monk... then you can't stand toe to toe with someone you come up with ways to use their size against them... and that screams monk to me. and come on they need to be clerics...

What do you guys think?

This post was edited by Cyanmoor at August 1, 2017 3:38 PM PDT